News   Jul 08, 2024
 121     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 3.1K     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 2K     13 

Metrolinx Unveils Next Wave of Big Move Projects

I can go back to many quotes (from myself included) saying the exact same thing through most of 2011. It ain't over until it's over.

The decoupling isn't for everybody. But yeah, 15 min service on GO REX lines, 30 min or 1hr service on non-REX GO lines.
Good to hear.

Personally I like the build up of durham. It's good for that region. Like I said send it to Murray and start a push for eglinton west to comeback, either to hurontario or the airport.

Good to hear.

Personally I like the build up of durham. It's good for that region. Like I said send it to Murray and start a push for eglinton west to comeback, either to hurontario or the airport.

I may just do that! Haha... But yes, I'm surprised to see that Eglinton West wasn't part of the Next Wave. It just seems like we're starting a bunch of lines but not actually finishing any of them.

It's amazing that with new taxes, the Ornge and gas plant scandals that they still have so much support. I don't think Ontarians particularly like the Liberals, but they quite logically view them as the least of three evils.
There seems to be a lot of support for dedicated taxes to deal with transit.

I don't think many people really care about the Ornge stuff - it seems to be more about the corrupt meglomaniac in charge of Ornge than the government itself, with no indication of any kickbacks going to politicians, and even little awareness of how bad the siutation was.

The only one with a bit of traction is the gas plant, it's not clear where the blame is. If those building the plants said it was going to only cost $40-million to cancel rather than $400-million, then are the Liberals (all of which who were involved already having resigned) to blame? Seems more like incompetent civil servants ... And even if true, how do the NDP and Tories fight this during an election, given they also had promised to cancel the plants? So those that did this are gone, and if we go into an election, the two opponents had promised to cancel them anyways, against Wynne, who didn't make the decision.

On transit issues, given Hudak's promise to cancel many of the new transit projects, and Howarth's not wanting to raise the money to fund transit ... I can see that the Liberals would do very well.

Hudak doesn't want to cancel them, but rather has signalled willingness to move back to the ford plan, with funding for the Sheppard subway.

I know I will be voting liberal, provided the election doesn't come until fall. (I can't vote before that haha, I wouldn't be legal age)

Hudak doesn't want to cancel them, but rather has signalled willingness to move back to the ford plan, with funding for the Sheppard subway.

Well funding for the Sheppard Subway includes the scrapping of the FWLRT and SELRT. Which is rather hypocritical considering that the PCs are criticizing the Liberals for the gas plant cancellations.

I know I will be voting liberal, provided the election doesn't come until fall. (I can't vote before that haha, I wouldn't be legal age)

I'll be voting for the first time too whenever the provincial/municipal election is and I'm eager to cast my vote for the Liberals. A PC government is a disaster waiting to happen.

What does that do to all the other projects, such as Hurontario?

But wait ... when has he said that? He said he wanted to stop the LRT projects, and would build subway, but only after the budget deficit is eliminated. He also promised to cut taxes, which won't do anything to eliminate the defect.

So instead of subway along Yonge, Downtown, and possibly even a BD extension, LRT on Finch, Sheppard East, Hurontario, in Hamilton, Lakeshore East/West Express Rail, two-way all-day GO service, and BRT in Brampton, Durham, and on Dundas ... we get a subway on Sheppard that won't be used much?

Hudak Promises:

Sheppard Subway
Eglinton underground LRT
427 extension
mid-peninsula highway

The liberals promise:
ECLRT
FWLRT
SELRT
Hurontario LRT
Hamilton LRT
Kitchener LRT
Yonge Subway
DRL
electrified 15 minute service on both lakeshore lines, and the kitchener line
all day 2 way GO on all remaining lines
Durham BRT
Queen street BRT
Dundas BRT

What the Liberals have built/ are building;

407 extension
400 extension
404 extension
highway 11 twinning
Windsor-Essex parkway
410 extension
Multiple twinning projects in Northern ontario
Ottawa LRT
Spadina Subway extension
30 minute GO service on lakeshore lines
ARL
Georgetown reconstruction
Mississauga Transitway
York region BRT

PCs when last in government:

Sheppard subway
cancellation of Eglinton subway
406 extension

Hudak made it very clear he would delay all major transit expenditures until after the province was running surpluses again. He also said tax cuts were his highest priority, which means that in 2017 when the budget is balanced, he cuts taxes and it does not run a small surplus.

If you believe he will keep his promises, no major new transit project would launch in the GTA until 2020 and what is currently underway would be truncated to whatever has been tendered.

Back