News   Jul 31, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 233     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Metrolinx Unveils Next Wave of Big Move Projects

I think 2 things that are very good with the changes is the elctrificattion of the UP Line {which I could see eventually becoming the eastern section of a DRL with more stations and become part of the standard TTC system} and the priority of the DRL.

I think 2 things that are very good with the changes is the elctrificattion of the UP Line {which I could see eventually becoming the eastern section of a DRL with more stations and become part of the standard TTC system} and the priority of the DRL.

It seems like in general this list of items should have been on the 1st list, not the 2nd. I mean, aside from the Eglinton and Scarborough LRTs, there wasn't really very much on the first list that NEEDED to be on the 1st list.

A 1st list containing the DRL, Eglinton + Scarborough LRTs (or a B-D extension), North Yonge Extension, Phase 1 of GO Electrification, the Hurontario LRT, Highway 7 Rapidway, Durham BRT, and Halton/Dundas BRT would have been a much better list, IMO.

But oh well, at least practically all of the "need to have" projects in the minds of most people on this forum are included in the Next Phase list.

It seems like in general this list of items should have been on the 1st list, not the 2nd. I mean, aside from the Eglinton and Scarborough LRTs, there wasn't really very much on the first list that NEEDED to be on the 1st list.

A 1st list containing the DRL, Eglinton + Scarborough LRTs (or a B-D extension), North Yonge Extension, Phase 1 of GO Electrification, the Hurontario LRT, Highway 7 Rapidway, Durham BRT, and Halton/Dundas BRT would have been a much better list, IMO.

But oh well, at least practically all of the "need to have" projects in the minds of most people on this forum are included in the Next Phase list.

Having a Durham BRT dump passengers off at STC, when they will have to transfer again in 3 or 4 stop does not make sense. It seems that everyone west of Kennedy will be forced to make an unnecessary transfer (note that 1 transfer is ok and I am not suggesting sending the subway to Oshawa.

The B-D extension to Sheppard would help for this, as would a continuous SRT/ECLRT (elevated) for much less money.

Having a Durham BRT dump passengers off at STC, when they will have to transfer again in 3 or 4 stop does not make sense. It seems that everyone west of Kennedy will be forced to make an unnecessary transfer (note that 1 transfer is ok and I am not suggesting sending the subway to Oshawa.

The B-D extension to Sheppard would help for this, as would a continuous SRT/ECLRT (elevated) for much less money.

Agreed. Although in the case of the Durham BRT, a lot of those passengers would probably be bound for a place inside of Toronto other than downtown. You would need to be pretty masochistic in order to take a BRT, an LRT, and then two subway lines to reach downtown when you can just take a bus to a Lakeshore East GO Station and then take GO in.

I would venture to say that a lot of those riders would be bound for places like STC, NYCC, Eglinton & Don Mills, or Yonge & Eglinton. Major employment nodes that aren't downtown. In most of those cases though, either a through-line Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, or an extended B-D line to Sheppard would help tremendously over the current proposed setup.

Agreed. Although in the case of the Durham BRT, a lot of those passengers would probably be bound for a place inside of Toronto other than downtown. You would need to be pretty masochistic in order to take a BRT, an LRT, and then two subway lines to reach downtown when you can just take a bus to a Lakeshore East GO Station and then take GO in.

I would venture to say that a lot of those riders would be bound for places like STC, NYCC, Eglinton & Don Mills, or Yonge & Eglinton. Major employment nodes that aren't downtown. In most of those cases though, either a through-line Eglinton-Scarborough LRT, or an extended B-D line to Sheppard would help tremendously over the current proposed setup.

It is a bit of a shame that Durham tends to be so "American suburban" when it comes to transit planning. If they were more like York Region (which ain't much better, but at least they are trying to move in the right direction), they would have been lobbying for either for the Eglinton or Danforth subway lines to meet their BRT at Scarborough Town Centre.

It is a bit of a shame that Durham tends to be so "American suburban" when it comes to transit planning. If they were more like York Region (which ain't much better, but at least they are trying to move in the right direction), they would have been lobbying for either for the Eglinton or Danforth subway lines to meet their BRT at Scarborough Town Centre.

Eglinton line is being combined with the SRT right?

Eglinton line is being combined with the SRT right?

Nope.

Because of this a separate terminal station is required for the ECLRT and another terminal station for the SRT - actually a station that is on an underground loop so that the SRT train does not need to go in reverse. It seems to me they are spending more to not have a combined route than they would spend if it was run through.

I think the reason they are not running through is that they want to prevent passengers from going from SRT to ECLRT - since they want to run less service on the in-median portion and they do not want the Scarberians clogging up the spaces. To do this, they force everyone off the SRT, and then assume most would transfer to the B-D subway instead of switching to ECLRT. The alternative would be to grade-separate (preferably elevate, since it is much less costly) the roughly 5km portion from Kennedy to Don Mills (actually west of Kennedy to east of Don Mills since each of those are underground stations) and then Scarberians would have great connectivity to the rest of Toronto via Eglinton or Danforth.

Scarberians have put up with the transfer at Kennedy for 30 years and I do not expect they will be too happy when it sinks in that this forced transfer will continue.

There is a connection for non revenue service though.

Last edited:
Nope.

ecause of this a separate terminal station is required for the ECLRT and another terminal station for the SRT - actually a station that is on an underground loop so that the SRT train does not need to go in reverse. It seems to me they are spending more to not have a combined route than they would spend if it was run through.

I think the reason they are not running through is that they want to prevent passengers from going from SRT to ECLRT - since they want to run less service on the in-median portion and they do not want the Scarberians clogging up the spaces. To do this, they force everyone off the SRT, and then assume most would transfer to the B-D subway instead of switching to ECLRT. The alternative would be to grade-separate (preferably elevate, since it is much less costly) the roughly 5km portion from Kennedy to Don Mills (actually west of Kennedy to east of Don Mills since each of those are underground stations) and then Scarberians would have great connectivity to the rest of Toronto via Eglinton or Danforth.

Scarberians have put up with the transfer at Kennedy for 30 years and I do not expect they will be too happy when it sinks in that this forced transfer will continue.

Well, I thought otherwise. Clearly Toronto does not want this to be easy. They should just convert the SRT to the BD and put the Scarborough Malvern LRT back online. Do a through line with that.

The high ridership on the SRT tells me Scarberians understand transfers are a part of using transit. The transfer between the TC lines and the subway will be considerably more convenient over the current set-up.

Last edited:
Can I just say: Oh No, a transfer! Oh no, I have to move between different modes of transport!

Selective acceptance of transfers are always fun. It's just a simple transfer if it's not affecting your commute, unless it does and then it's a child of the devil good god why do I have to walk x m and wait y mins just to continue my trip.

Selective acceptance of transfers are always fun. It's just a simple transfer if it's not affecting your commute, unless it does and then it's a child of the devil good god why do I have to walk x m and wait y mins just to continue my trip.

Back