News   Jul 15, 2024
 231     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 379     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

From @reporterdonpeat

Councillor Karygiannis letter to constituents on Sheppard subway:

http://burl.co/500266D

So now it's not even about Scarborough vs. downtown. It's north Scarborough vs. south Scarborough. Hey, how about et's give Port Union?! South-east Scarborough keeps getting the shaft from those central Scarborough elites!

I'm a south Scarborough elitist. Only south Scarborough deserves subways!

How bizarre. His letter talks about the Sheppard subway, but the motion he's referring to is about reconfirming the city's support for the Scarborough subway. Clearly, he doesn't know the difference between a Line 2 extension and Line 4 extension, or what the city is currently supporting.

Jim Karygiannis must be be a complete idiot. It's no wonder that Justin Trudeau kicked him out of Ottawa!

Recall that Mammoliti pulled the a similar stunt, when he asked council to RECONFIRM their support for subways on Sheppard East. As we all should know, Council has never confirmed support for subways on that corridor.

I'm not sure if these "errors" are an intentional political tactic, or if these men have no idea what they're talking about.

Recall that Mammoliti pulled the a similar stunt, when he asked council to RECONFIRM their support for subways on Sheppard East. As we all should know, Council has never confirmed support for subways on that corridor.

I'm not sure if these "errors" are an intentional political tactic, or if these men have no idea what they're talking about.

Mammoliti was hoping the other councillors were as stupid as he is and would pass his motion. What a complete moron

I'm sure he knows exactly what he is doing - pandering to a public that must support this stupidity. The problem is the voters - they get the councillor they deserve.

It sucks that the rest of us that know better have to be held hostage by these morons.

Regarding converting the subway into an LRT, it has more to do with creating a network rather than eliminating a transfer. Imagine if the Yonge subway stopped at Bloor, required a transfer to an LRT to continue north to Eglinton, a bus north to York Mills, a subway to Steeles, etc.

Imagine if the rail networks we built across this continent were based around different "technologies," requiring transfers of products and people every time one moved from a rural landscape to an urban one. You think our country would be as vast and connected as it is today under such a setup?

Either extend the subway or convert it to LRT (which can't be that hard since the platform at Don't Mills will support LRVs on one side), but the current setup is just stupid!

Regarding converting the subway into an LRT, it has more to do with creating a network rather than eliminating a transfer. Imagine if the Yonge subway stopped at Bloor, required a transfer to an LRT to continue north to Eglinton, a bus north to York Mills, a subway to Steeles, etc.

Imagine if the rail networks we built across this continent were based around different "technologies," requiring transfers of products and people every time one moved from a rural landscape to an urban one. You think our country would be as vast and connected as it is today under such a setup?

Either extend the subway or convert it to LRT (which can't be that hard since the platform at Don't Mills will support LRVs on one side), but the current setup is just stupid!

I am sure that you have read the many debates about the conversion and that it is one thing to convert one side of platform at a cut and cover station to have LRT operation, but it is another thing to convert the remainder of the full stations on the line plus the small issue with the diameter of the tunneled portions (subway tunnels are smaller than the required size for LRT tunnels) - unless some fancy solution and a lot of money show up - its a no go

I'm sure he knows exactly what he is doing - pandering to a public that must support this stupidity. The problem is the voters - they get the councillor they deserve.

It sucks that the rest of us that know better have to be held hostage by these morons.

We wouldn't be hostage to these morons if we de amalgamated and uploaded the TTC to Metrolinx.

We wouldn't be hostage to these morons if we de amalgamated and uploaded the TTC to Metrolinx.
The same province that grossly underfunds GO Transit so they run infrequent service with much higher fares than TTC?

Then we too could have hourly bus service on infrequent routes! Pass.

I am sure that you have read the many debates about the conversion and that it is one thing to convert one side of platform at a cut and cover station to have LRT operation, but it is another thing to convert the remainder of the full stations on the line plus the small issue with the diameter of the tunneled portions (subway tunnels are smaller than the required size for LRT tunnels) - unless some fancy solution and a lot of money show up - its a no go

Toronto is not the first city in the world to deal with this issue. Other locations have managed to solve this problem with no construction at all (namely, Amsterdam and Rotterdam). But yet we ignore their approach and instead choose to pretend that only more complicated and more expensive alternatives are possible.

Last edited:

Back