News   Jul 31, 2024
 205     0 
News   Jul 31, 2024
 232     0 
News   Jul 30, 2024
 1.4K     5 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

What makes you think this?

B-D extension = $3.6B
SELRT = $1.0B
FWLRT = $1.2B
Total = $5.8B

OR

SRT = $1.8B
ECLRT (elevated) = $0.4B (extra)
Sheppard West Subway = $1.2B (4km x $300M/km)
Sheppard East Subway = $2.5B (8.5km x $300M/km)
Total = $5.9B

Close enough to the same

B-D extension = $3.6B
SELRT = $1.0B
FWLRT = $1.2B
Total = $5.8B

OR

SRT = $1.8B
Total = $5.9B

Close enough to the same
A subway is not needed or warranted on Sheppard

nevermind the fact that $300m/km for subway is an underestimate (Scarborough is $380 million, Spadina which is now an 8 year old project is $320 million) and that Elevating Eglinton would cost way more than $400 million.

B-D extension = $3.6B
SELRT = $1.0B
FWLRT = $1.2B
Total = $5.8B

OR

SRT = $1.8B
Total = $5.9B

Close enough to the same

B-D extension (about 8 km) is expected to cost $3.6B, that's about $450M/km. I'd think the same per-km cost should be expected for Sheppard East subway.

For Sheppard West, it can even be slightly higher, because it has to cross West Don.

From the Metrolinx Board Meeting Update. Here

As a result of the City of Toronto’s resolution of October 8, 2013 reaffirming the building of the Scarborough subway over the Scarborough LRT, Infrastructure Ontario, on behalf of Metrolinx, cancelled the Scarborough/Sheppard maintenance and storage facility (MSF) procurement. Notice of the cancellation was issued to the three proponents on November 4, 2013. A revised stand-alone facility to support only the Sheppard LRT will be included in a future Sheppard LRT Design, Build Finance, and Maintenance procurement package.

The master schedule has also been prepared, reviewed internally and with Infrastructure Ontario and detailed schedules are also under development for internal management review in the first quarter of 2014.

Not sure if this has already been posted but it tell us where we are with the SELRT. A new RFP and probably MSF design needs to be done first.

What I don't understand is why this project cant be separated. Trackwork and Cantenary would be one contract which could be started as immediately as possible. The MSF could be another contract which would change depending on Scarb Subway vs LRT.

This Get shovels in the ground ASAP and builds momentum for the project.

To think that this could have been opening later this year under original plans is incredible given its 6 year delay now.:mad:

From the Metrolinx Board Meeting Update. Here

Not sure if this has already been posted but it tell us where we are with the SELRT. A new RFP and probably MSF design needs to be done first.

What I don't understand is why this project cant be separated. Trackwork and Cantenary would be one contract which could be started as immediately as possible. The MSF could be another contract which would change depending on Scarb Subway vs LRT.

This Get shovels in the ground ASAP and builds momentum for the project.

To think that this could have been opening later this year under original plans is incredible given its 6 year delay now.:mad:

They have to bundle everything together into one big contract for their P3 alternative finance and procurement nonsense, they could have easily restarted everything by now if not for that. And they should have just kept going with the contract for the maintenance yard, with simply changing design so fewer outdoor storage tracks are built.

And has anyone with even the slightest grasp of the history of transit construction knows, this project is doomed, it's not getting built, and I wouldn't be surprised if the liberals repeat their subway champions vote buying with this line as well.

Fair enough but with both components being over the $50+ million AFP benchmark there is no real reason why they couldn't be separate. I'm not a pessimistic about a Liberal Flip Flop on the SELRT but I am wary of the looming election outcomes this year. Should the Liberals not hold even a minority government next term and if by some miracle of stupidity and ignorance Rob Ford wins the election, it's all going to go up in smoke with nothing to show for.

I think the disastrous Scarb Subway has wet the lips of Scarborough councilors just enough to let the SELRT go ahead as planned.

Fair enough but with both components being over the $50+ million AFP benchmark there is no real reason why they couldn't be separate. I'm not a pessimistic about a Liberal Flip Flop on the SELRT but I am wary of the looming election outcomes this year. Should the Liberals not hold even a minority government next term and if by some miracle of stupidity and ignorance Rob Ford wins the election, it's all going to go up in smoke with nothing to show for.

I think the disastrous Scarb Subway has wet the lips of Scarborough councilors just enough to let the SELRT go ahead as planned.
That fool is already promising to turn this into a subway if elected.

Disastrous Scarborough subway?

First of all, I detest the term "Scarborough subway". Call it what it is: a (Bloor-)Danforth extension.

Second, this extension will be one of the best-used possible subways to be built. I don't understand why people are against it.

First of all, I detest the term "Scarborough subway". Call it what it is: a (Bloor-)Danforth extension.

Second, this extension will be one of the best-used possible subways to be built. I don't understand why people are against it.

almost every single lrt supporter I talk to is amazed when i tell them this will get the same ridership as the DRL. They just don't believe me. (mind you the DRL ridership study was done before the subway change so its numbers are probably a bit higher than scarborough's, though only because of scarborough)

Its referred to by Council in their motions as the Scarborough Subway so I don't see why its any less appropriate to use that name here. But for this post ill call it a BD extension. While argument can be made for a slight ridership advantage comparable to the LRt option there is not much by way of capacity issues for the LRT or the Subway for well beyond 2031. The BD extension also eats up $1 billion in public funds and debentures which could be allocated more effectively to build capital projects that are more immediate necessary. TCHC housing repair backlog could be wiped out. Gardiner Expressway refurbishment work could be carried out with those funds. Basement flooding capital plans, roadwork capital plans, bridge rehab and TTC State of good repair backlog could also be addressed with those funds. East Bayfront LRT or a Finch LRT extension to Yonge could be built with those funds.

By the city incurring the debt to fund this extension it pushes city finances close to their self imposed debt limit which means other important capital projects in all wards will need to wait or simply wont be done. Additionally, the increased subsidy and maintenance costs of the subway will put more pressure on an already over extended TTC operating Budget

The point is to say that the BD extension is not necessary for the projected demands and capacities needed in along the SRT route. The LRT would have served more people, connected more trip generators, and been better for social equity in terms of priority neighbourhoods served. Going through with the LRT option would also have accelerated the construction of the SE-LRT as was mentioned previously.

Given that this is the Sheppard LRT thread I wont further this debate here but those are just some of the points addressing why it is disastrous and why people are against it.

Back