News   Jul 16, 2024
 657     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 588     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 731     2 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Agreed, there's no one definite trip pattern towards the airport. My comment was more geared towards the fact that the system is void of almost ANY rapid solution to getting from one end of the East to the other end at the West.

It would be nice to see that longitudinal rail corridor that passes through Dupont Station (I can't remember its name) used for crosstown GO service. However it is doubtful if there are enough people who would be making that trip to warrant the expenditure.

It would be nice to see that longitudinal rail corridor that passes through Dupont Station (I can't remember its name) used for crosstown GO service. However it is doubtful if there are enough people who would be making that trip to warrant the expenditure.

http://transit.toronto.on.ca/gotransit/2106.shtml

If we're doing east-west long distance travel, or long distance transit in general, the best bet is to use the existing rail corridors like the CityRail or GO Rex plans.
If you're boring an extremely long tunnel it might be prohibitively expensive.

I guess the other option is buses on highways or hydro corridors, but you'd need protected bus lanes if you want it to be reliable through traffic.

Any fast long distance transit will have to rely on good local transit connecting to the stations, or parking lots at the stations. Otherwise, how do people get to the stations since they'd have to be extremely far apart in order for the speed to be high.

If we implemented CityRail, you could get from Scarborough to the Airport through Union station relatively fast.

These very long range trips like Scarborough to Airport aren't really well served by any transit in general, they wouldn't really be any better served by subways either.

GO's Highway 407/401 services are a good solution for this kind of trip if it has branches going to various hot spots (like the Airport, SCC, etc.).

Get 15 minute frequencies on the Stouffville GO line, and 10 minute frequencies on the 407 express with a branch via 427 to the Airport and the total trip should take under an hour. As a bonus to pushing 407 express service, GO gets some reverse flow traffic on their rail lines.

The challenge is currently low frequencies on GO. $1B buys decades of subsidies to run Scarborough GO service every 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Is there any possibility that Eglinton Avenue can become like Bloor St which also goes east/west?

Are you talking about the walkable nature of Bloor?

Yes but also all the retail that gets people walking there and the different neighbourhoods plus the talk about Eglinton should be thought of as more of a high capacity local route, how is Eglinton different than Bloor St which has a subway? If Eglinton will be used for people to transfer to Eglinton West to travel south on Spadina or Yonge or Don Mills how is that any different than Bloor and people transferring to St George and at Yonge? Poeple talk about Eglinton never having the amount of passengers that justified a subway, its not like Bloor other than at Yonge really is built up

Yes but also all the retail that gets people walking there and the different neighbourhoods plus the talk about Eglinton should be thought of as more of a high capacity local route, how is Eglinton different than Bloor St which has a subway? If Eglinton will be used for people to transfer to Eglinton West to travel south on Spadina or Yonge or Don Mills how is that any different than Bloor and people transferring to St George and at Yonge? Poeple talk about Eglinton never having the amount of passengers that justified a subway, its not like Bloor other than at Yonge really is built up

The underground part of Eglinton is pretty similar to many parts of Bloor in my opinion, in terms of urban form.

For example Eglinton near Bathurst:
http://goo.gl/maps/JwyEl
Bloor near Bathurst:
http://goo.gl/maps/e7RFa

Both the underground part of Eglinton and Bloor have the same stop spacing and are both underground.

However, east of Leaside where Eglinton becomes at-grade, Eglinton becomes a big box suburban landscape, with two wide ravine crossings. Bloor has East York & the Danforth, which are large urban areas and it goes into Scarborough, east of the ravine (which is a shorter crossing down there).

Bloor is closer to downtown so it gets more trips from & to areas south of Bloor. For example, if you live in North York Centre, but you work at Queen & Bathurst, you could take Yonge south, then Bloor to Bathurst station, and the Bathurst streetcar down.

Bloor also gets everyone from Scarborough or Etobicoke heading downtown, which is a lot of people.

Last edited:
Bloor also gets everyone from Scarborough or Etobicoke heading downtown, which is a lot of people.

But does Eglinton not also hit Etobicoke and Scarborough and can bring all those people downtown which now requires buses to get to Bloor/Danforth?

The underground part of Eglinton is pretty similar to many parts of Bloor in my opinion, in terms of urban form.

For example Eglinton near Bathurst:
http://goo.gl/maps/JwyEl
Bloor near Bathurst:
http://goo.gl/maps/e7RFa

Both the underground part of Eglinton and Bloor have the same stop spacing and are both underground.

However, east of Leaside where Eglinton becomes at-grade, Eglinton becomes a big box suburban landscape, with two wide ravine crossings. Bloor has East York & the Danforth, which are large urban areas and it goes into Scarborough, east of the ravine (which is a shorter crossing down there).

Bloor is closer to downtown so it gets more trips from & to areas south of Bloor. For example, if you live in North York Centre, but you work at Queen & Bathurst, you could take Yonge south, then Bloor to Bathurst station, and the Bathurst streetcar down.

But you have to take a ten or 15 minute subway ride from Eglinton to Bloor. That's a three transfer ride. Just getting on at Eglinton-Martin Grove and going to Eglinton west is one transfer.

But does Eglinton not also hit Etobicoke and Scarborough and can bring all those people downtown which now requires buses to get to Bloor/Danforth?

I was thinking that the SRT currently funnels into Bloor, and if the Scarborough subway happens, that brings lots of people from Scarborough into Bloor.

In the west, I guess when Eg phase 2 happens some people could switch from Bloor to Eglinton, depending on where their origin & destinations are.

If Eg west were to occur a lot of Etobicoke riders would use the service. Most have to rider the bus all the way down to Kipling currently. The current busiest point on the LRT will be on the east side right before it hits Yonge, but in the future I get the feeling it will be right before it hits Eglinton West..

Last edited:
Although I hate to reopen the idea, I think that planners made a mistake in not extending the subway to Victoria Park. The Consumers Road area could absorb a lot of new growth with very little NIMBYism, and the 24 Victoria Park is a pretty busy route.

Of course, such a move would also invite any opportunistic politician to cry foul at the idea that the subway stops just shy of the Scarborough border, and that for "just a little more" we could extend the subway to SCC. Of course, "just a little more" is probably 3 billion dollars, and would probably set the DRL back by 20 years.

Back