News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 536     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 831     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

is this the first completed EA for transit city?

isn't this line the most controversial one? why would they fast track it and make it the first priority?

Looking at Appendix 7a and 7b of the report, you can see the problem that that subdivision's of the auto oriented road design of suburbia have: the cul-de-sac. Especially where there is a LRT stop (ie. Consumer's and Sheppard) but no access from the cul-de-sac (ie. Snapdragon Dr.). Unless one tresspasses, they have to walk an extra distance to reach it, even though they can see the stop from their bedroom windows.

I'm confused. Were they considering the 800m stops only if bus service was in place to pick up people who can't be bothered to walk a maximum of 400m to their LRT stop?

400m is too close. should by between 600-800m

while I'm on the topic of close stops...

I rode the St Clair ROW tonight - a few unnecessary stops there... another thing, why do transit planners put stops AFTER a stop light? wouldn't if be better if people could just get out of the bus/streetcar/lrt instead of waiting for a green light?

I'm confused. Were they considering the 800m stops only if bus service was in place to pick up people who can't be bothered to walk a maximum of 400m to their LRT stop?

Tell my grandmother she can't be bothered to walk 400 metres... You'll likely find a wooden cooking spoon where the sun don't shine...

The able-bodied are just one group who needs mobility.

400m would be the maximum walk...the vast majority of people would not have to walk that far - except for people who live in the middle of those 2km concession blocks, and they'd have to walk a longer distance to a stop no matter how closely spaced they are (actually, most of them are entirely unaffected due to short cuts through parks, parking lots, etc.). The amount of people affected by going from, say, 400m to 800m stop spacing is really quite small.

400m is too close. should by between 600-800m

while I'm on the topic of close stops...

I rode the St Clair ROW tonight - a few unnecessary stops there... another thing, why do transit planners put stops AFTER a stop light? wouldn't if be better if people could just get out of the bus/streetcar/lrt instead of waiting for a green light?

They can make the light stay green longer, so that they don't get stuck at a red light.

I am happy and relieved that there is a strong case for the Sheppard Subway extension.

We should put some pressure to make sure it happens

It worked for the facebook DLR group.
Or to go to the open house. If everyone demands a subway extension or nothing else than finishing the whole line, it might get us somewhere

They can still make their Sheppard LRT...Beyond Agincourt. No less.

http://www.toronto.ca/involved/projects/sheppard_east_lrt/

First round of Public Open Houses - April 15, 17, 2008
Two Open Houses were held on April 15, and April 17, 2008 to explain the study, to show what we hope to achieve, to get your comments, and to answer questions. Please review the information presented (PDF).

So that they can ram it through before the province offers them a subway.
They're not going to be able to ram through this design without some changes, I suspect, given that Metrolinx wants to connect Finch and Sheppard lines together. That *should* be up before next Friday's Metrolinx Board meeting, which means we may see the Metrolinx Benefits Case Analysis on this next week.

I don't like the fact that they are allowing drivers to tur left. You only need to see how much this slows down The Spadina line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pie-ix-belanger-brt-shelter.JPG

In Montreal, we have the BRT 505 R-Bus that used to run against traffic on the part-time dedicated bus lanes on the opposite side of the traffic median. It featured dedicated sheltered BRT stations, a high frequency of service, and priority traffic signals.

Turning left was not allowed on the entire route and this boulevard was on the top 3 busiest boulevard in the city.

To turn left, the driver had to go to the next intersection and turn right, then 2 more right and he was on the street he wanted to turn left to and he simply go straight.

In no case, cars should interfere with the LRT if they want to convince us it will be efficient.

Allowing cars to turn left is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Ansem I agree with your idea of having the Sheppard subway finished and having LRT from Agincourt eastward.

Ansem I agree with your idea of having the Sheppard subway finished and having LRT from Agincourt eastward.
I suspect the train has already left the station on this ... but surely both can co-exist. I don't see anything in the LRT design that precludes the later construction of a subway extension - and with the LRT in place, you could simply construct a station at Scarborough Town Centre and perhaps Agincourt, and run express, leaving the local traffic to the LRT.

If we are going to extend the subway east, it should end at Victoria Park, where there are more office buildings and residential apartments there. Consumers road is a strange place for a subway terminal. It will essentially be a station built for the sake of transferring to a streetcar line.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. Perhaps Metrolinx will provide some sober second thought (well one can always dream ...).

Lets hope that Metrolinx offers a better deal for this. I think it is doubtful, but you never know.

Another thing about this line I find strange is the end point at Meadowvale. Why would you end the line there? Might as well extend it like 500m north and terminate at the Toronto Zoo. It would make a zoo a destination on an LRT line. The Sheppard bus goes there, so with the 85 being removed will that mean the zoo will no longer have bus service after this is completed? Seems very silly to me.

Back