News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 459     0 

Metrolinx: Sheppard East LRT (In Design)

Maybe an actual Transit City line in action would be necessary to make people more in favour of it to build more, like on Sheppard.

Maybe an actual Transit City line in action would be necessary to make people more in favour of it to build more, like on Sheppard.
Have to wait for Finch West then. Eglinton doesn't exactly count as an actual Transit City line, even though technically it is.

Have to wait for Finch West then. Eglinton doesn't exactly count as an actual Transit City line, even though technically it is.
I'm not sure I see much difference between surface at-grade transit on Finch West in Etobiocke and surface at-grade transit on Eglinton East in Scarborough.

I'm not sure I see much difference between surface at-grade transit on Finch West in Etobiocke and surface at-grade transit on Eglinton East in Scarborough.
If you're treating the at-grade in-median section as a separate line, sure. But as a whole, the Crosstown line is not a good representation of what will be built on other planned LRT routes.

If you're treating the at-grade in-median section as a separate line, sure. But as a whole, the Crosstown line is not a good representation of what will be built on other planned LRT routes.
If your standing at the corner of Warden and Eglinton, compared to Warden and Sheppard, how is the LRT going to look that different? The Eglinton line in Scarborough is an excellent representation of what will be built on other planned LRT routes. There's about 6 km at surface with traffic lights, etc. It's very comparable to the 11 km LRT on Finch.

If your standing at the corner of Warden and Eglinton, compared to Warden and Sheppard, how is the LRT going to look that different? The Eglinton line in Scarborough is an excellent representation of what will be built on other planned LRT routes. There's about 6 km at surface with traffic lights, etc. It's very comparable to the 11 km LRT on Finch.
I think you missed my point on the "crosstown line as a whole", not just the at-grade section; but we are both correct on our points.
Finch West will be the first line with no significant grade-separated section along its route, and that's what Sheppard would've gotten (excluding the short tunnel going under 404).

..but we are both correct on our points.
No, your premise above is that the Eglinton line doesn't count as a Transit City line, and we have to wait for Finch West to see in action.

I 100% disagree. The 6 km of the Eglinton line in Scarbroough is the same.

No, your premise above is that the Eglinton line doesn't count as a Transit City line, and we have to wait for Finch West to see in action.

I 100% disagree. The 6 km of the Eglinton line in Scarbroough is the same.
I said nothing about it being a "Transit City line" or not, because it is. The 6 km of the Eglinton line in Scarbroough is the same. I'll give you that. But the 10km or so tunneled section is not. The last time I checked Crosstown LRT includes BOTH sections. Eglinton Crosstown has always been the special line in the original Transit City plan because of its long grade-separated section. There's no denial to that.

Let's move on from this definition jumble. How would you improve on the existing plan?

Eglinton doesn't exactly count as an actual Transit City line ...
I said nothing about it being a "Transit City line" or not, because it is.

Okay.

How would you improve on the existing plan?
I'm tired of the last decade improving the existing plan, rather than building it.

As far as I can tell, the existing plan is to propose something be built 5 years from now - and every 4 years come up with a new plan.

Anything would be better than the nothing that Scarborough is getting.

Sorry if I forgot to add "in my opinion" at the end - thought the "actual" was enough of a keyword to indicate it was just my opinion of it. My apology if that offended your definition of Transit City in any way.

I'm tired of the last decade improving the existing plan, rather than building it.

As far as I can tell, the existing plan is to propose something be built 5 years from now - and every 4 years come up with a new plan.

Anything would be better than the nothing that Scarborough is getting.
Although, they did nothing in the past decade. Not improvements to the plan, whatsoever. It has always been two polar opposite plans battling out against each other with no middle compromises at all...

Although, they did nothing in the past decade. Not improvements to the plan, whatsoever.
Sure they have. 10 years ago - in 2005 - the plan was to extend the Sheppard subway to Scarborough Centre. Confirmed by council during the first Miller administration. There had been no LRT plan at that time.

Since then, we've had various iterations of

- LRT to Meadowvavale
- LRT to Morningside
- LRT to Universtiy of Toronto Scarborough
- Subway to Scarborough Centre

With completion dates of 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021 ... and now no earlier than 2025.

And that's not including the permutation about what the line intersects (subway at McCowan, subway at Markham, LRT at Markham, LRT at Markham AND Morningside.

Just because the plan is unchanged from 2007 to now, doesn't mean nothing has been done!

Here's an interesting piece from Metro:

http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1371682/could-the-finch-lrt-reshape-the-sheppard-transit-debate/

It echoes a lot about what has been said before:
1. New subways won't be very helpful to Scarborough commuters, since such a small percentage of them commute to destinations that connect to the subway, while a majority stay within Scarborough.

2. There aren't any magical subway corridors that we haven't discovered yet. Toronto's subway network will soon be fully built out

3. We really need to put a focus on improving bus operations in Scarborough.

It's unlikely the subway fanatics will listen. It's hard to change one's view with facts.
I agree with improving bus service in Scarborough. The service is abysmal.

Back