News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 601     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

An update on the debit card situation: use with caution. I received a ticket this weekend because the fare enforcer's handheld terminal said my debit card was unrecognized/not used. Since I am weary of these technologies in the first place I was very diligent to confirm the Presto machine displayed "Approved" with the chime noise. They said I could check my bank app for the transaction, but it did not appear until I tapped off at my destination. I was ultimately charged the correct fare so in a sense it worked, but enforcement could not verify so from their perspective I hadn't paid my fare.

It's kind of B.S. to be honest. I will contest the ticket with proof that I paid my fare, however it's clearly been poorly implemented. I suspect that's the first and last time I bother with the debit option as once again Metrolinx has demonstrated it struggles with technologies that other transit agencies have been using for years.

When I was in Prague, there were two fare payment options I liked that I would like to see implemented here.

The first one we've only seen on the Flexity cars, the ability to buy a ticket on a TVM aboard the vehicle. In Prague's case, this was implemented in the form of the ticket validator, a device of similar size to the Presto readers we have. You can validate a pre-purchased paper ticket with it (from a stop based TVM), or you can use the LCD screen on the validator to select from a variety of fare options, pay contactless, and the ticket is thus dispensed. It's not exactly the same as paying for your fare directly with the card as we do here, which is nice, because you have a paper receipt of your purchase to avoid exactly the scenario described above.

The other one I really liked was the Prague Integrated Transport Lítačka app, which offers you a variety of the features you would want. You can check schedules, connections, and diversions for any system that is integrated under the Integrated Transport Umbrella, and you have the option of buying a ticket, using Apple Pay (and probably others, but I have an iPhone, so that's what I used to) right in the app, and saving it until such time as you need it. I found this to be extremely convenient - I was worried that when I arrived in Prague, my card wouldn't work on the TVMs and I'd have to run around trying to find an ATM to take out cash, but I bought my ticket a week in advance and when the time came, I just activated my ticket, and was all good to go. The app was reliable, well designed, overall no complaints from me. Though I worry if we tried to implement this kind of convenience in Toronto, we'd go for some made in house solution, designed by the good friends of a member of our ruling class, that doesn't work, so maybe it's for the best that we don't have this here.

An update on the debit card situation: use with caution. I received a ticket this weekend because the fare enforcer's handheld terminal said my debit card was unrecognized/not used. Since I am weary of these technologies in the first place I was very diligent to confirm the Presto machine displayed "Approved" with the chime noise. They said I could check my bank app for the transaction, but it did not appear until I tapped off at my destination. I was ultimately charged the correct fare so in a sense it worked, but enforcement could not verify so from their perspective I hadn't paid my fare.

It's kind of B.S. to be honest. I will contest the ticket with proof that I paid my fare, however it's clearly been poorly implemented. I suspect that's the first and last time I bother with the debit option as once again Metrolinx has demonstrated it struggles with technologies that other transit agencies have been using for years.
Presumably you're talking about an inspection on GO, as you wouldn't be tapping off on TTC? And it wasn't live on the weekend on TTC.

Presumably you're talking about an inspection on GO, as you wouldn't be tapping off on TTC? And it wasn't live on the weekend on TTC.
Yes, this was on the Lakeshore East GO this past weekend. Presto readers at the stations had little signs advertising that debit/credit tap could now be used.

Precisely why I will not tap my debit or credit card. There's just so many possible problems that may arise. Something else that I have been pondering about is how would transferring work and be charged when you are paying by debit or credit card? eg. tapping on YRT, tapping on TTC then tapping on Mississauga Transit. Would Presto recognize that you had initially tapped on YRT and still within the 2h free transfer 905 agreement?

Note: I have for the past month had to to such a commute between YRT and Mississauga Transit with my Presto Card, and yes if the trip is within the two hours then the transfer will be recognized as a free transfer.

Precisely why I will not tap my debit or credit card. There's just so many possible problems that may arise. Something else that I have been pondering about is how would transferring work and be charged when you are paying by debit or credit card? eg. tapping on YRT, tapping on TTC then tapping on Mississauga Transit. Would Presto recognize that you had initially tapped on YRT and still within the 2h free transfer 905 agreement?

Note: I have for the past month had to to such a commute between YRT and Mississauga Transit with my Presto Card, and yes if the trip is within the two hours then the transfer will be recognized as a free transfer.
Obviously everyone's experience is different but I haven't had any issues with the credit card tapping. I find most people run into issues because they are tapping the same card in their phone vs the physical card, which are two different "cards" for the purposes of Presto Contactless. Furthering the confusion is that both 'cards' show up as one card in the Presto app.

This happens if the reader you used to tap on is running in offline mode (not connected to the internet). The reader is supposed to upload credit/debit/virtual card transactions to the back end in real-time. GO and UP Express originally used the inspection fare system. There are pros and cons with both systems, but generally speaking, it's easier to obtain a fair resolution with the real-time system. In this case, revenue protection should have written down your card details and Compliance Services will cancel the penalty if it's for a legitimate reason.

Yes, some credit cards can keep a log of transactions on the card itself, but not all do, hence the current system.

this case, revenue protection should have written down your card details and Compliance Services will cancel the penalty if it's for a legitimate reason.
Wait, it's actual policy to issue a citation when they know full well a fare may have been paid and their own incompetence prevents the officer from knowing?

And they think this will survive judicial review?!?

Back