News   May 09, 2024
 508     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 818     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 549     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

IMG_20230709_130249.jpg

New gate software rolling out. finally...

I guess from this google wallet is getting the virtual presto card sooner then Apple wallet View attachment 491556
Ottawa isn't getting it either since they're primarily using FareGO for their back end.

Edit July 26, Ottawa is probably getting it, implementation took less time than expected. Expect an announcement imminently.

Apple Pay with a credit/debit card will still work though...

Last edited:
How does Ottawa use Presto with a different back end?
Kind of like this, but only Presto card transactions get passed through to the central system. Ottawa's system has to interoperate with STO's which complicates development. Support might come at a later date, but the TTC really wants virtual Presto cards and open payment this quarter so something has to give.

1689111279333.png

Last edited:
Kind of like this, but only Presto card transactions get passed through to the central system. Ottawa's system has to interoperate with STO's which complicates development. Support might come at a later date, but the TTC really wants virtual Presto cards and open payment this quarter so something has to give.

View attachment 491570
It seems crazy to me that the fare gates, bus/streetcar readers, presto vending machines are all using a different systems? Hopefully with the new rollout they're doing a lot of consolidation on the backend to simplify things. Digital Presto would be nice but if the pricing is the same or extremely close, I can't see why I'd use the presto instead of just my credit card.

It seems crazy to me that the fare gates, bus/streetcar readers, presto vending machines are all using a different systems? Hopefully with the new rollout they're doing a lot of consolidation on the backend to simplify things. Digital Presto would be nice but if the pricing is the same or extremely close, I can't see why I'd use the presto instead of just my credit card.

On the systems that already accept credit card on Presto, the fare is actually higher if you pay that way compared to the actual card. But, GO charges the same adult fare on credit cards.

On the systems that already accept credit card on Presto, the fare is actually higher if you pay that way compared to the actual card. But, GO charges the same adult fare on credit cards.

There's only a 5¢ difference between TTC cash fares ($3.35) and Presto fares ($3.30) now. So even if they do end up going with the cash fare amount, you'd still need 120 rides to cover the cost of the $6 Presto card.

There's only a 5¢ difference between TTC cash fares ($3.35) and Presto fares ($3.30) now. So even if they do end up going with the cash fare amount, you'd still need 120 rides to cover the cost of the $6 Presto card.
1689179736606.png

Contactless is $3.30 on the TTC, at least for now...

Oh, they've turned it on! Is it just working on the subway?

Tapping back into St. Clair only 10 minutes after tapping into Dundas? That's impressive, the old published travel time is only 8 minutes.
Your card has to be whitelisted if you want to use it now. I would be surprised if the Q3 2023 target for a public release wasn't met.

Your card has to be whitelisted if you want to use it now. I would be surprised if the Q3 2023 target for a public release wasn't met.
Ah - you are in the beta test! I wonder if they've got all the TTC stations done yet. Last time I checked, Woodbine still wasn't done - though that was a few weeks ago now - and I did notice them doing Pape the same day.

Ah you're right, for TTC currently it is a small difference, but on the other 905 systems it's a lot larger. But still, I like the convenience with paying with my phone than opening my wallet to get my Presto card out in public, which increases the chances of getting it snatched. Hopefully it'll be done soon then at least I don't even need a Presto card anymore.

Ah you're right, for TTC currently it is a small difference, but on the other 905 systems it's a lot larger. But still, I like the convenience with paying with my phone than opening my wallet to get my Presto card out in public, which increases the chances of getting it snatched. Hopefully it'll be done soon then at least I don't even need a Presto card anymore.
Didn't someone above say that the 905 systems are more expensive with credit/debit than a Presto card?

Back