News   May 13, 2024
 560     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 871     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 2.5K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I’m convinced that something has changed on the TTC Presto readers to make them less sensitive. I thought my card was dying and replaced it the other day. Over the last week or two, it seems like you have to really stick your card right against the reader to get it to register. Anyone else see this? My new card (one of the black ones) is the same as my old one was. Prior to this, getting within an inch or so would trigger the reader.
It’s been hit or miss for me. Mostly on the newer buses or newer streetcars that it has been acting up. I either have to hold it against the reader for 5 seconds or retap it.

In Hong Kong, no one takes out an Octopus card. Never thought of it, but can I leave my credit card in my wallet to tap? And with PRESTO, if I tap my wallet, can the reader do anything with the rest of the credit cards in my wallet?

In Hong Kong, no one takes out an Octopus card. Never thought of it, but can I leave my credit card in my wallet to tap? And with PRESTO, if I tap my wallet, can the reader do anything with the rest of the credit cards in my wallet?
It shouldn't. I do that everyday.

Unlikely, I store my Presto card in an outside pocket of my cloth wallet and I have to press fairly hard onto most subway readers to tap through. A light brush doesn't work.

Unlikely, I store my Presto card in an outside pocket of my cloth wallet and I have to press fairly hard onto most subway readers to tap through. A light brush doesn't work.
Either the transponder strength has been dialled down, or the sensitivity threshold of my card is impaired (the chip is passive) as I'm now having to tap a few times to get confirmation.

I’m convinced that something has changed on the TTC Presto readers to make them less sensitive. I thought my card was dying and replaced it the other day. Over the last week or two, it seems like you have to really stick your card right against the reader to get it to register. Anyone else see this? My new card (one of the black ones) is the same as my old one was. Prior to this, getting within an inch or so would trigger the reader.

Literally started noticing this week. I also started to think my card was dying. I have to basically rub my card completely flat to get it to read now.

I did have a presto card - my special edition up express card - that did die in the form of no longer tapping. I do wish they would do more special edition cards, they are nice.

I did have a presto card - my special edition up express card - that did die in the form of no longer tapping. I do wish they would do more special edition cards, they are nice.
They need more special edition cards that are NOT transit agency specific. The UPX design was just to celebrate it's opening and the event, so that's not really a transit agency. However, if the start making TTC, YRT, or GO branded cards, that's a big no no as it adds to the confusion that already exists with the concept of Presto. Nicknames already cause confusion, how much would it cause if the actual card was branded.

The opening of the TYSSE would have been a great opportunity for a new special edition card. Canada 150, GO 50, CN Tower/Toronto Skyline, and more could make good special edition cards.

Literally started noticing this week. I also started to think my card was dying. I have to basically rub my card completely flat to get it to read now.
There is an up side to this. More than a few times, standing by the doors of the new streetcars waiting to egress, the card in my back right pocket would engage the reader. Pissed me off, as one routing I take home gets me on the King Car before my two hours are up. Twice now I've been dinged getting off the streetcar as the card is read without me wanting it to.

So perhaps 'false reads' will diminish as a result of this.

This is the card I have/use

I lucked out and got a wifi test train today. I hadn’t realized you need a Presto card to use it.

Apparently you only need to enter it once. I signed in on my phone and my iPad and didn’t have to enter it on the second device. I agree though, it’s annoying. I told them that on the survey. When TTC first introduced WiFi at stations, it took longer to log in than to wait for the streetcar. They eventually simplified the process. Hopefully GO does the same.

Haven’t been on the subway for a while, just noticed a new gigantic Presto kiosk machine in my station. Hopefully it breaks down less.

DeEIs_qUwAAgAGS

Back