News   May 24, 2024
 9.1K     2 
News   May 24, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   May 24, 2024
 496     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I'm not sure how it will work with Presto but with Google Pay app (formaly Android Pay) to use it the phone has to be unlocked to use it.
How is that convenient?

I can see the gaggle of gangly google users now, goggling at their phones, and giggling while getting in people's way.

Hopefully, it would would with the Apple Watch or other "smart wristwatches", without having to dig for your smartphone.

Make it so.
I believe unless there’s some special type of system arrangement, Apple Pay on iPhone with NFC will automatically be available to Apple Pay on Apple Watch. As for other smart watches, I don’t know.

I'm not sure how it will work with Presto but with Google Pay app (formaly Android Pay) to use it the phone has to be unlocked to use it.

With Samsung Pay (for samsung phones), you just have to swipe upwards and provide a fingerprint. No unlocking required. Nice thing about that is atleast the Galaxy phones also have the ability to swipe if tap is not available.

Apple Pay has an express mode for transit cards where you can just tap your phone on a transit reader and no authentication is required. Used for Suica in Japan. It's a user-settable option.

Alternatively, just as with credit and debit cards, you can authenticate using Face/Touch ID or your password something like 15 or 30 seconds in advance and have the card ready to go.

With Samsung Pay (for samsung phones), you just have to swipe upwards and provide a fingerprint. No unlocking required. Nice thing about that is atleast the Galaxy phones also have the ability to swipe if tap is not available.
I have a Samsung Galaxy phone and use Google Pay with it. I've heard mixed things about Samsung pay and Samsung only other apps. I was looking at smartwatches and decided to stay away from Samsung because they only use their own store and don't have as many apps as the google play store does for them.

I have a Samsung Galaxy phone and use Google Pay with it. I've heard mixed things about Samsung pay and Samsung only other apps. I was looking at smartwatches and decided to stay away from Samsung because they only use their own store and don't have as many apps as the google play store does for them.
Have you tried Samsung Pay? Does it work with chip only terminals?

Have you tried Samsung Pay? Does it work with chip only terminals?
I don't know I have only ever used Android and now Google Pay. I know it can only be used a termainals that alow tap to pay. As far as I know there aren't any apps that don't use NFC for payment

I don't know I have only ever used Android and now Google Pay. I know it can only be used a termainals that alow tap to pay. As far as I know there aren't any apps that don't use NFC for payment
Oh I heard that Samsung boasts about their MTS technology and how it works with non-NFC terminals, so just wonder...Oh well

Oh I heard that Samsung boasts about their MTS technology and how it works with non-NFC terminals, so just wonder...Oh well

Yes - tap only works, and is at I use. However there some places (ie post offices) that dont accept Tap, and that other feature works wonderfully.

I’m convinced that something has changed on the TTC Presto readers to make them less sensitive. I thought my card was dying and replaced it the other day. Over the last week or two, it seems like you have to really stick your card right against the reader to get it to register. Anyone else see this? My new card (one of the black ones) is the same as my old one was. Prior to this, getting within an inch or so would trigger the reader.

Reactions: BMO
I’m convinced that something has changed on the TTC Presto readers to make them less sensitive. I thought my card was dying and replaced it the other day. Over the last week or two, it seems like you have to really stick your card right against the reader to get it to register. Anyone else see this? My new card (one of the black ones) is the same as my old one was. Prior to this, getting within an inch or so would trigger the reader.
I just experienced something like this last night. I went on a bus and and tapped my Presto card (green, vertical, non-braille) but it wouldn't read it, so I asked to use the back one. While walking back, someone behind me successfully tapped, I tried to tap on the back one, didn't work. So I just used my spare one and it worked. Then I thought I came to the conclusion that my card was broken, but I used one of the reload machines to check balance and it work, and it word again this morning and afternoon on GO. Maybe I was just not putting my card close enough or I was just not thinking last night.

I just experienced something like this last night. I went on a bus and and tapped my Presto card (green, vertical, non-braille) but it wouldn't read it, so I asked to use the back one. While walking back, someone behind me successfully tapped, I tried to tap on the back one, didn't work. So I just used my spare one and it worked. Then I thought I came to the conclusion that my card was broken, but I used one of the reload machines to check balance and it work, and it word again this morning and afternoon on GO. Maybe I was just not putting my card close enough or I was just not thinking last night.
Concur. I am having increased trouble tapping my card.

I have it inside the side of my wallet not containing RFID cards (no interference with Interac cards) and it always worked 100%. Now I have to take the card out, and sometimes I have to tap with full contact.

Back