News   Jul 05, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 838     11 
News   Jul 05, 2024
 441     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I was trying to download a receipt for an auto-reload from the Presto site today. (Which I never could find).....

anyway... I noticed a charge for $5.30 on GO that I didn't take (same date and approx time as an auto-recharge and UPX charge - which I did take.)

I clicked on the Contact Us link and filled in their comment submitter.

I can't believe that the Comments box doesn't allow special characters: | & ; $ % ' \ " <> () + ,

Is this 1989 ?

A UPX charge? Did you tap on Green instead of Silver? at the Union-Pearson station?
it was the one on the left when you enter the station from the skywalk. The same one I always tapped on. I don't recall seeing signs on it - but to be honest I didn't look.

So I guess when I tapped it took a go fare? and then when I tapped off at pearson it took a UPX fare? Weird that the fare collector didn't catch it.
Does this mean I could have just tapped on to a Go Reader and then not tap off at Pearson to get a $5.30 fare?

Very glad UT allows the use of special characters!

So I guess when I tapped it took a go fare? and then when I tapped off at pearson it took a UPX fare? Weird that the fare collector didn't catch it.
If you had a valid GO tap-on, he probably assumed you were just going to Bloor or Weston. Or maybe he didn't want to get into that debate again ...

Does this mean I could have just tapped on to a Go Reader and then not tap off at Pearson to get a $5.30 fare?
No, you'd have a $15 penalty GO fare. Hmm, which you might still get if you haven't used your Presto since then.

I'm guessing this is what the issue is ... hard to say without seeing the transactions themselves.

I wonder how big of a staff of people will need to be dedicated to resolving charging errors once this thing is rolled out entirely.

If you had a valid GO tap-on, he probably assumed you were just going to Bloor or Weston. Or maybe he didn't want to get into that debate again ...

No, you'd have a $15 penalty GO fare. Hmm, which you might still get if you haven't used your Presto since then.

I'm guessing this is what the issue is ... hard to say without seeing the transactions themselves.

I've attached a screenshot to see if you can decipher it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 6.35.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 6.35.34 PM.png
    84 KB · Views: 291
I can't believe that the Comments box doesn't allow special characters: | & ; $ % ' \ " <> () + ,

Is this 1989 ?
I couldn't believe this either. As a web developer, I can't even imagine what kind of technical limitations or product requirements would lead to a situation like this. It's bizarre and makes me very, very worried about all the technical decisions that went into this system that we can't see directly.

I've attached a screenshot to see if you can decipher it.
Clearly you tapped on a green GO reader at Union and it took your $5.30 standard fare. You should had tapped on the silver UPX reader. Arriving at Pearson, you tapped on the only read there (silver one) and it thought you're starting a trip from Pearson deducting the full $9.00 fare. A big mistake on your part.

Did you also get another GO Transit charge afterwards? You didn't tap off on a green GO reader and should be charged the remaining amount to the end of the line (full fare to Kitchener less $5.30).

Clearly you tapped on a green GO reader at Union and it took your $5.30 standard fare. You should had tapped on the silver UPX reader. Arriving at Pearson, you tapped on the only read there (silver one) and it thought you're starting a trip from Pearson deducting the full $9.00 fare. A big mistake on your part.

Did you also get another GO Transit charge afterwards? You didn't tap off on a green GO reader and should be charged the remaining amount to the end of the line (full fare to Kitchener less $5.30).

PRESTO Customer Charter #1
"We will keep Presto smart and simple, so it's easy to use and understand".

ok then.

It definitely can. The issue is the Presto machine can't be told it's on an express route at the moment.

The bus doesn't know what route it's on? Well, the Presto reader anyway? Then how are we going to use all this 'big' tapping data to figure out where the hell we are all coming and goIng?

You must contradicted yourself within the same posting. I mean, are there any concrete examples of TTC sitting on their hands right now regarding this file, after the commitment by the board to go full Presto? The issues they are having right now looks like debugging to me.

AoD

TTC should maintain cash fares until this debugging is done. Customers shouldn't be forced to be double charged because of Metrolinx's inability to finish this on time.

Back