News   Jul 22, 2024
 89     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 947     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 4K     7 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Preventing fraud for transit might be worth it - after all, we wouldn't want the homeless riding the TTC for free.

But for healthcare? If someone is desperate enough to be cheating to get free healthcare, then what's the big deal? In many, if not most G8 countries, even tourists get free healthcare.

If someone has moved from Boston 4 months ago, and doesn't meet the 6 months required for free healthcare - who really cares.

Yes, using smartcards is about preventing the homeless to ride it for free, and cheating the health system through what is basically ID theft is about someone moving here from Boston 4 months ago (legally, I presume?) - can you get more disingenuous than that?

which G8 countries give tourists free healthcare....certainly not the two I have travelled to frequently ...and we don't either so that is 3 of the 8 accounted for.....need all the other 5 to be yes to get to "most"

It's certainly not free - there are often intergovernment agreements for covering emergency treatments on a quid pro quo basis, but that really isn't "free" in any sense of the word.

eg. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/medicare/reciprocal-health-care-agreements

AoD

Last edited:
Preventing fraud for transit might be worth it - after all, we wouldn't want the homeless riding the TTC for free.

But for healthcare? If someone is desperate enough to be cheating to get free healthcare, then what's the big deal? In many, if not most G8 countries, even tourists get free healthcare.

Which G8 countries give tourists free healthcare? I know US, Canada, Germany, and Japan do not. Pretty sure none do.

Everytime it is suggested, however, civil libertarians throw up fears that cops doing traffic stops will all of a sudden be accessing your health records/usage...etc.

That's silly, particularly if a) the data isn't stored on the card and b) if it is, uses heavy encryption. If the cops really wanted to, they could have frisked you, went through your wallet and get your health card number anyways.

AoD

That's silly, particularly if a) the data isn't stored on the card and b) if it is, uses heavy encryption. If the cops really wanted to, they could have frisked you, went through your wallet and get your health card number anyways.

AoD
agree....but that is the opposition that gets thrown up

I get the concerns over privacy, but sometimes you do have to wonder if our society is being dictated by a bunch of luddites who are better off communicating using smoke signals or carrier pigeons.

AoD

Definitely agree. I know a few people who don't have drivers licenses and have wanted to use their Health Card as ID, however, they've always been told that it is illegal for the business to check a health card as ID. I understand why asking for it as ID can be inappropriate, but why is not acceptable when someone willingly tries to use it as ID?

I cant wait until all of this information is just stored somewhere in me, on a chip, along with Presto :)

Definitely agree. I know a few people who don't have drivers licenses and have wanted to use their Health Card as ID, however, they've always been told that it is illegal for the business to check a health card as ID. I understand why asking for it as ID can be inappropriate, but why is not acceptable when someone willingly tries to use it as ID?

I cant wait until all of this information is just stored somewhere in me, on a chip, along with Presto :)

Well you can apply for the Ontario Photo ID if you don't have a drivers' license, but that's a relatively new invention, and it's basically another duplication and cost.

And quite frankly, even ID cards are kind of primitive considering Biometrics.

AoD

I've never been asked to pay in the UK. So that's 4 countries right there :)
My family members have...so maybe it is inconsistent....anyway, as far as the G8 is concerned (actually anybody but soccer authorities) that is 1 country right there ;)

My family members have...so maybe it is inconsistent....anyway, as far as the G8 is concerned (actually anybody but soccer authorities) that is 1 country right there ;)

Yeah, everything I can find says there is not agreement on cost reciprocation between Canadian jurisdictions and the NHS. Cnsular websites both warn that you need to buy insurance and that you can be turned away if you don't have it and cannot pay.

If you are on a visa then you can buy NHS coverage, though Brits cannot do the same here.

If you see one of these black boxes at a subway station. Don't be alarmed. These boxes are for PRESTO SSKs that will be installed from this fall to the end of the TTC rollout . This particular one is found at osgoode... At the side it says Property of PRESTO so, its progress.

Attachments

• IMG_20151011_140241.jpg
    IMG_20151011_140241.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 350
And Spadina Station has its SSK up and running. Its located at the streetcar platform if you didn't notice.

Attachments

• 1444588237181279376085.jpg
    1444588237181279376085.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 481
And Spadina Station has its SSK up and running. Its located at the streetcar platform if you didn't notice.
So what exactly are the functions of this machine? Load/Reload cards? Pay for rides?
I'm still baffled by the useless machines they installed on the stops on the Spadina lines that only take tokens or coins. Will these be presto-ized?

So what exactly are the functions of this machine? Load/Reload cards? Pay for rides?
Self-serve reload machine. Not sure what the K in SSK is for ...

See https://www.prestocard.ca/en-US/Pages/ContentPages/SSK.aspx which notes that:

The new Self-Serve Reload Machines allow PRESTO customers to:

• Load value instantly with a credit card or debit
  • Pickup online loads and update card balance
  • Check balance and transaction history
  • Activate online activity, such as autoload or registration, onto cards
I'm still baffled by the useless machines they installed on the stops on the Spadina lines that only take tokens or coins. Will these be presto-ized?
The ticket vending machines at the streetcar stops? They sell tickets for those with cash or tokens. And they have a ticket validator attached for those with tickets. They are supposed to enable credit and debit in the future too. No indication if the ones on the streets will take Presto or not - perhaps they won't bother, as there will be no need for them to do so once all the streetcars have Presto in about 10 weeks or so.

Back