News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 456     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

This may sound familiar to a number of you:

My Presto card snapped in the cold weather three days back. I have just under $50 on it. It is registered. I have a second card that's registered also.

Immediate thought is to go to Bloor Station half a block away and have the service agent transfer the funds on the broken card to the other one. "No can do, you have to call customer service at Presto". OK, I do that after trying to check my card status on-line. For some reason, it was blocked. Talk to Presto s.a. "No can do since both cards are registered". WTF? They're both registered to me fer Crisakes. "That's the rules". But why? "You have to buy a new card".

WTF? I've now spent two days running around trying to buy a new card. Here's what the Presto site shows for customer service location:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1wJUGsXMM_fl9OZdgcz8bKvvYu5Q&ll=43.656852246087965,-79.45260763207818&z=20

Except contrary to the phoned Service Rep checking with her supervisor to double check, that info is *FALSE*! It is a Gateway, and they cannot refund a card or doing anything other than sell you a new blank card. Plus tax.

WTF?

Note that "refund"! Yes, you can get a refund in cash from a faulty card if it is "under $50, or we mail you a cheque if it is over $50 after filling out a form supplied by the Service Rep".

So why in hell, after speaking to three service reps did I have to discover that info online from searching myself?

"Hello, Presto? I have a problem with my card"...."Buy a new one!". Is that the basis of all their rationale?

In the event, I'm now waiting for the Bloor Station service counter to open again. That's 3:00 PM.

Oh yes, and to go to the Gateway in Dundas West station? I had to pay a fare to find out they can't help me.
Ya know, if Canada ran her banking system the way Presto runs their operation, we'd long ago be at the World Bank looking to prop up the nation.

And another point: "Why don't you have machines to dispense Presto cards?" "We do, but only in a few locations".

WTF?
Yeah, unfortunately you can only transfer your balance to a non-registered card. It's so dumb since if you have 2 Presto Cards (one as a spare), you still need to buy a third if you lost/broke your first.

Yeah, unfortunately you can only transfer your balance to a non-registered card. It's so dumb since if you have 2 Presto Cards (one as a spare), you still need to buy a third if you lost/broke your first.
Surely if you have two cards because you want a spare and then lose one you will actually WANT to buy a new card and transfer the lost card's balance to it?

This may sound familiar to a number of you:

My Presto card snapped in the cold weather three days back. ...
WTF?

Get a card holder (and a lanyard) to protect the card.

From link.

upload_2016-7-12_13-23-52-png.80992

See on ebay at this link.

Get a card holder (and a lanyard) to protect the card.

From link.

upload_2016-7-12_13-23-52-png.80992
And that knocks sense in Presto's thick brain? I think not. Do you work for Presto by some chance? Monty Python couldn't have made a better suggestion. So stuff all my cards into thick cases to fit them in my wallet?

Brilliant...

Surely if you have two cards because you want a spare and then lose one you will actually WANT to buy a new card and transfer the lost card's balance to it?
Tell that to the banks, and many others who run *successful*, well thought out and *free charge to replace card* programs. If I decide to close my chequing account and transfer the funds to my savings account (or one of) what bank would/could say no? "Sorry, we can't do that, you have to buy a new card. Because Simon Says."

The most ridiculous excuse was offered by the Presto rep (although bless her, she completely understood the ridiculousness of the situation, and I wasn't upset at her) "It's because all the personal details are also transferred with the funds". On one card to another both registered to me.

What could I find out? That my other 'Me' is a Martian voyeur who eats apple seeds during sex?

And carrying one Presto card, by consolidating the balance of both, is what I want, since you can't use two cards if one comes up short on paying your fare, and you top it up with the other.

Odd how that works...

And btw: Both card accounts open when I enter my name and password to my on-line account. So how in hell can it (gist) 'Violate privacy of information since both are registered?'

Riddle me that!

Last edited:
I used to live in and then visit Montreal quite often so I bought one several years ago. Useful if you want to wear your card - with a very long lanyard/string so it can reach the readers! but really not too useful.
For anyone who is even half active, they're an incredible danger. Try working around thousands of volts and shop tools, let alone cycling or running with a freakin' lasso around your neck.

They're for dweebs or office workers trying to look like they belong.

Or we can use the phone to tap, instead of a card...
Exactly, I was just thinking of that. Or even a single card for all debit transactions. And if/when it snaps, it is replaced free of charge. At your local bank.

And for my banking, I don't mind holding balances on multiple cards. The banks *very rarely* screw up, and if they do, they handle it as a learning opportunity, as well they should.

They know damn-well you'll vote with your feet if they don't. There's what now, with Trust Companies, some ten choices at least for card accounts?

"Why should we care, we're the (Presto) phone company"

Here's the latest on the broken card saga. (This becomes theatre of the absurd).

I go to Bloor West station, been waiting all day, customer service booth opened 3:15PM. A very nice and attempting to be helpful rep.

I'd already loaded up my second card earlier, and now, going by instructions from two phone calls to Presto, present the broken card for a refund at the station. But surprise, surprise. No can do. Since the card is broken, he can't read the amount on it, and the "Refund for PRESTO Farecard (Station) Form B (0659-14)(Rev. August 7)" form requires that the amount be readable! Kafka not only lives, he rides Presto!

I inform the rep that the amount is clearly readable for both cards on-line. All that has to happen is for a rep to (and this happens all the time when you phone in to Presto) check the balance on-line. He can't do that.

I ask him to call his supervisor. Line busy...ten minutes later, he gets through. "Sorry, the only way to get the amount refunded is to buy a new card for $16 and then transfer the amount online onto the new card".

WTF squared...

I note on the form (which he was kind enough to allow me to have, since there's no way I'm letting this drop) that there's an "e-Purse Refund Fee".

Well...lol...time to have some fun with phone calls. The question isn't just one of making calls and forwarding this to persons relevant, it's a case of 'who's first'?

Just checking my account now. My broken card shows $45.21. My old card is now "Block Event". Nothing. I just loaded $50 onto it, have the receipt, for a total of $52.11.

Someone's looking for trouble...they'll get it. Now how far up the chain do I start? Maybe backwards through the Ministry? That's how I got action and an apology in writing last time. And oh yes, $50 credit for free rides on my card.

Sounds like the free ride is being provided by my pocket at this point of the game. That'll change...

Last edited:
Why not just go to a GO station - who invariably know they they are doing - at Union. And if it's really wonky, they grab someone from the back room

Why not just go to a GO station - who invariably know they they are doing - at Union. And if it's really wonky, they grab someone from the back room
Not any more, plus why should I have to pay to go there to do what should be do-able according to the Presto staff on-line?

Presto no longer have a presence at Union. I found that out last time I went down there to replace a card, the one I eventually found and is now my second card.

Presto conveniently make themselves unattainable to the public save for their pawns. This isn't a GO problem. It's a Presto one. The blank forms I have (two copies in fact, don't ask, I'm gonna have fun with this one) are from Presto.

Addendum: Just took my working card to Bloor Station to check the balance. It shows the earlier e-load, everything appears to be OK as per the card, but just checking the on-line account now, it still shows this after showing the right amount minutes after my loading it on the card:

upload_2018-1-16_17-2-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-16_17-2-11.png
    upload_2018-1-16_17-2-11.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
And another point: "Why don't you have machines to dispense Presto cards?" "We do, but only in a few locations".

A year and a half back when taking GO/UPX from Kitchener to the airport, I was rather annoyed to discover that I couldn't buy a PRESTO card at the Kitchener GO/VIA station. To add insult to injury the GO ticketing machine wouldn't sell me a paper ticket from Kitchener to Weston either, I had to pay full fare to Union. :(

Here's the latest on the broken card saga. (This becomes theatre of the absurd).

I go to Bloor West station, been waiting all day, customer service booth opened 3:15PM. A very nice and attempting to be helpful rep.

I'd already loaded up my second card earlier, and now, going by instructions from two phone calls to Presto, present the broken card for a refund at the station. But surprise, surprise. No can do. Since the card is broken, he can't read the amount on it, and the "Refund for PRESTO Farecard (Station) Form B (0659-14)(Rev. August 7)" form requires that the amount be readable! Kafka not only lives, he rides Presto!

I inform the rep that the amount is clearly readable for both cards on-line. All that has to happen is for a rep to (and this happens all the time when you phone in to Presto) check the balance on-line. He can't do that.

I ask him to call his supervisor. Line busy...ten minutes later, he gets through. "Sorry, the only way to get the amount refunded is to buy a new card for $16 and then transfer the amount online onto the new card".

WTF squared...

I note on the form (which he was kind enough to allow me to have, since there's no way I'm letting this drop) that there's an "e-Purse Refund Fee".

Well...lol...time to have some fun with phone calls. The question isn't just one of making calls and forwarding this to persons relevant, it's a case of 'who's first'?

Just checking my account now. My broken card shows $45.21. My old card is now "Block Event". Nothing. I just loaded $50 onto it, have the receipt, for a total of $52.11.

Someone's looking for trouble...they'll get it. Now how far up the chain do I start? Maybe backwards through the Ministry? That's how I got action and an apology in writing last time. And oh yes, $50 credit for free rides on my card.

Sounds like the free ride is being provided by my pocket at this point of the game. That'll change...
I'm also going through the same thing my old card was damaged so I got a new one and I called to transfer it over after waiting 24 hours of the new card to be "activated" Now it seems that none of my previous data has transferred over also all I see when I check on line is everything with the new card only.

Back