News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 457     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Yes, debit/credit/apple pay/google pay tap payment is supposed to come online this year for the TTC. But indeed, that will likely be the $3.25 full cash fare as it currently is on the LFLRVs, and would not be eligible for things like the GO discount or the 2-hour timed transfer. Presto has finally been more specific and they're now saying that they will have some form of mobile app out this year, but I'm worried it might solely be a balance checking/card loading app which, while useful and long, long overdue, should really have full Apple Pay integration by this point.
No kidding.

I checked my Presto activities and it seems that they did not deduct my TTC fares during the chaos yesterday morning...
Hmm, I wondered why there was nothing on my wife's card, when she and I rode together. But that was almost 3 pm. They'd literally have to have had turn charging off though. Hmm ... hang on ...

Oh ... Upper Gerrard is now "Bay at Elm". LOL The vehicle GPS was fine, as I was tracking it coming. Not sure why the Presto one is so much poorer so often.

I wonder how mine is today (swapped the Metropass). Oh yes. Another free ride - first tap is fine. But I tapped back into subway 105 minutes later, and they still haven't fixed the problem with the Presto reader at St. George knowing where it is. 0.

Are you sure you were free? Sometimes data comes late - but you see there's a $6 change in value insted of $3 after you take the following ride.

It is beyond me that Presto still does not have an app to check and reload balances, let alone an NFC enabled app on smartphones that you can tap using the phone instead of a physical card...
The website works absolutely fine on my Blackberry. What do you need an app for? Heck of a lot easier to maintain one website, rather than a website, plus apps for a variety of ever changing phone OSs.

It's probably faster to logon with my phone as the dropdown you press to get to the login is right there, where it should be, rather than having to read through the menu. And it remembers my card number and password if I let it.

They wouldn't be able to ticket anyone who has a dead phone and claims they tapped their phone, and lots of people would be getting into the mess of a frozen Presto card because their phone died and they didn't tap off.
What, and get people who just carry around a dead phone all the time so they don't have to pay?

Your problem. And a good reason, why I have little interest in relying on my phone. Uh, hang on ... phone froze.

Hmm, I wondered why there was nothing on my wife's card, when she and I rode together. But that was almost 3 pm. They'd literally have to have had turn charging off though. Hmm ... hang on ...

Oh ... Upper Gerrard is now "Bay at Elm". LOL The vehicle GPS was fine, as I was tracking it coming. Not sure why the Presto one is so much poorer so often.

I wonder how mine is today (swapped the Metropass). Oh yes. Another free ride - first tap is fine. But I tapped back into subway 105 minutes later, and they still haven't fixed the problem with the Presto reader at St. George knowing where it is. 0.

Are you sure you were free? Sometimes data comes late - but you see there's a $6 change in value insted of $3 after you take the following ride.
I checked a few times today. All the GO activities were there, no TTC...

Had an interesting Presto trip log yesterday:
  • Took the GO train from Aurora, tapped off at Downsview Park GO. Used one of the nice new machines to reload, worked great. Tapped in to the subway and paid a $1.50 fare. Off to a good start.
  • At 3:06PM I tapped on at St George station, and got a free transfer still on my previous $1.50 fare. I guess the temporary reader there due to the faregate construction isn't programmed with a location and allows any transfer. Normally 2 consecutive taps on the subway result in a new fare as this is never a valid transfer.
  • My 6:02 PM tap was actually on a 505 westbound at Dundas and Jarvis, not at Queen and Neville Park. The following transfer to a northbound 510 is correct.
  • The 7:09 PM tap should have been charged a new $3.00 fare, as I had taken the 510 north previously, and that tap was aboard a southbound 510, so a return trip on the same route. I'm very confused as to why this was free as it recorded the exact correct stop locations at each intersection. Maybe it's so hard to distinguish between 510 vs 506 in such a small radius at the intersection that they treat it as an uncertain GPS read no matter what? But then my following tap on a westbound 505 should have been $3...maybe the system can't carry over logic between more than 2 taps and just calculates each tap based on solely the previous one?
  • Interestingly my return GO tap, with my default trip, was NOT discounted by $1.50 despite being within 2 hours of my most recent TTC tap. I guess they calculate it as 2 hours from your latest paid tap excluding transfers. I don't like that, but I can't complain in this case due to the 2x $3.00 free rides that I got.
Overall I did $10.50 worth of travel on the TTC for $4.50, saving $6.00, but losing a $1.50 GO discount, for a net savings of $4.50 which occurred due to programming errors.

log.PNG

Attachments

• log.PNG
    log.PNG
    87.2 KB · Views: 437
  • At 3:06PM I tapped on at St George station, and got a free transfer still on my previous $1.50 fare. I guess the temporary reader there due to the faregate construction isn't programmed with a location and allows any transfer. Normally 2 consecutive taps on the subway result in a new fare as this is never a valid transfer.
Yeah, I've had about a half-dozen free rides there, despite my complaints.

• My 6:02 PM tap was actually on a 505 westbound at Dundas and Jarvis, not at Queen and Neville Park. The following transfer to a northbound 510 is correct.
  • The 7:09 PM tap should have been charged a new $3.00 fare, as I had taken the 510 north previously, and that tap was aboard a southbound 510, so a return trip on the same route. I'm very confused as to why this was free as it recorded the exact correct stop locations at each intersection. Maybe it's so hard to distinguish between 510 vs 506 in such a small radius at the intersection that they treat it as an uncertain GPS read no matter what? But then my following tap on a westbound 505 should have been $3...maybe the system can't carry over logic between more than 2 taps and just calculates each tap based on solely the previous one?
That's a bid odd. I've got scores of examples on 506 to show that you can't take a second trip or reverse direction. I wonder if because you trip started with a (frequent) faulty location and you impossibly tapped 23 minutes later over 45 minutes distant, that it just assumes that something is wrong, but not knowing which one is wrong, just gives up until the 2-hours passes from the original tap; who knows, they've been kludging it to death.

• Interestingly my return GO tap, with my default trip, was NOT discounted by $1.50 despite being within 2 hours of my most recent TTC tap. I guess they calculate it as 2 hours from your latest paid tap excluding transfers. I don't like that, but I can't complain in this case due to the 2x $3.00 free rides that I got.
Actually that's what I'd expect - that it looks at what it thinks is the "original" tap. Not surprised by this.

• Overall I did $10.50 worth of travel on the TTC for $4.50, saving $6.00, but losing a $1.50 GO discount, for a net savings of $4.50 which occurred due to programming errors.
I gave up on getting refunds on the now less common extra charge, when I realized I was getting far more free trips than extra charges. It does make you wonder how much TTC is losing on this.

I gave up on getting refunds on the now less common extra charge, when I realized I was getting far more free trips than extra charges. It does make you wonder how much TTC is losing on this.

It makes you wonder what the real motive for city hall accepting a move over to Time Based Transfers...I mean, if this is happening all the time, thousands of times a day, the TTC is loosing out on up to 40,000$ per day (assume about 13,500, it's honestly probably 2, 3, maybe even 4* as often as this, considering TTC ridership is around 1.6 million daily (not including the transfers, making daily ridership closer to 3.5 million to 4 million)), that's half the 30 Million annually for Time Based Transfers. If the real cost to the city is 15 million, it seems like a bargain, especially considering that it's an election year.

From TTC to your final destination on GO Transit
  • Tap on to TTC and the full regular fare will be deducted from your PRESTO card.
  • When you transfer and tap on GO, your fare will be discounted by $1.50 if you’re an adult and $0.55 if you’re a student or senior.
  • If you don’t have a default GO trip set on your card, be sure to tap off of GO so you’ll get the discount when you tap off. Learn about setting a default for easier travel.
  • Once you tap on TTC you have two hours to begin your trip on GO to get the discount.
This discount is always on the TTC fare- not the GO Transit fare.
Also, it looks like it took you over 2 hours from your first payment before you tapped on GO.

So the system was dumb enough to let you transfer in the opposite direction of the 510, but smart enough not to give you a discount when you boarded the GO Train.

This may sound familiar to a number of you:

My Presto card snapped in the cold weather three days back. I have just under $50 on it. It is registered. I have a second card that's registered also.

Immediate thought is to go to Bloor Station half a block away and have the service agent transfer the funds on the broken card to the other one. "No can do, you have to call customer service at Presto". OK, I do that after trying to check my card status on-line. For some reason, it was blocked. Talk to Presto s.a. "No can do since both cards are registered". WTF? They're both registered to me fer Crisakes. "That's the rules". But why? "You have to buy a new card".

WTF? I've now spent two days running around trying to buy a new card. Here's what the Presto site shows for customer service location:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1wJUGsXMM_fl9OZdgcz8bKvvYu5Q&ll=43.656852246087965,-79.45260763207818&z=20

Except contrary to the phoned Service Rep checking with her supervisor to double check, that info is *FALSE*! It is a Gateway, and they cannot refund a card or do anything other than sell you a new blank card. Plus tax.

WTF?

Note that "refund"! Yes, you can get a refund in cash from a faulty card if it is "under $50, or we mail you a cheque if it is over $50 after filling out a form supplied by the Service Rep".

So why in hell, after speaking to three service reps did I have to discover that info online from searching myself?

"Hello, Presto? I have a problem with my card"...."Buy a new one!". Is that the basis of all their rationale?

In the event, I'm now waiting for the Bloor Station service counter to open again. That's 3:00 PM.

Oh yes, and to go to the Gateway in Dundas West station? I had to pay a fare to find out they can't help me.
Ya know, if Canada ran her banking system the way Presto runs their operation, we'd long ago be at the World Bank looking to prop up the nation.

And another point: "Why don't you have machines to dispense Presto cards?" "We do, but only in a few locations".

WTF?

Last edited:

Back