News   Jul 16, 2024
 308     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 418     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I was going to write the same thing, until realizing it's oxymoronic. It's a *PASS*! mgl has a point. The whole idea of a "Pass" is that you've paid your fare by buying it, not by tapping it. Should tapping be required? Perhaps, but not for the payment of fare aspect.

Think about it.
That day has passed us by. I agree intellectually with your argument, but that boat has sailed and that system is no longer. Automation requires that we tap. We have modernized the system. The old system required humans and manual checking. The new system is automatic and comprehensive. Everyone is checked every time they ride because everyone taps always.

Everyone is checked every time they ride because everyone taps always.
No they don't. If that was the case, fare payment officers wouldn't be necessary, would they?
I agree intellectually with your argument
So would a court.

Btw: I see the "TTC requiring photos on student Presto Cards" proposal has vapourized. lol...duh...

Don`t worry. It`s coming. It is like any other process that becomes automated. There are fewer exceptions.
Again, the courts might rule otherwise. What if you were required to wear an ID chip wherever you went? That is what you are stating. If that is done voluntarily, fine, those erosions of anonymity are part of modern living. But the purchase of a Pass has to be an option that allows you to retain your privacy.

https://www.priv.gc.ca/en/privacy-topics/privacy-laws-in-canada/02_05_d_15/

Getting back to the TTC proposal to require photo ID embedded on Presto Cards....the terms of privacy are ensured (albeit in an indirect way) by having to produce *separate* ID upon paying that fare.

It's a very fine line between retaining your right to privacy and proving your entitlement to concessions.

Last edited:
If you have a presto card with a monthly ttc pass, why would you need to tap on when entering a streetcar? I realize they want the data, but you've paid your fare so there should be no requirement to tap.

At the start of the month if you purchase the pass via the online mode, it may not have reached your physical card if you haven't tapped on any devices. I doubt fare inspection devices are setup to sync a card; I would expect them to be read-only devices.

Second, and I don't know if TTC has thought of this or not; but it's fairly easy for onboard cameras to count the number of passengers. Without much more effort, you can sync that to taps (particularly once paper transfers are eliminated) and get a rough approximation of the %age of passengers that confirmed their fare as valid. In short, they could select specific vehicles to target for fare inspection rather than doing it randomly.

But yeah, I expect the real reason is what you mentioned, getting accurate statistics. I imagine they intend to eliminate their current head-counting staff and will rely on the Presto data for determining which routes need additional capacity or cut-backs. If you (and many others) don't tap you may find service reduced.

It also makes the job of fare inspection much much easier because they can input the vehicle number as they board, download the fairly short list of active cards tapped on that vehicle, and network issues during fare inspection won't happen (because they already have the data). Getting a system-wide list of active trips would be quite a bit more data.

Also just to note Presto cards with student fae may only be made available to students who go to school in the city of Toronto so even having a presto card programmed for use as a student on go transit my not work on the TTC.

At least from what I've seen, Presto concession fares aren't specific to transit operators. If you have a "student" card, it charges the student fare on every system. Same for child and senior cards. This works because every GTA transit system uses the same age blocks - 6-12 is a child fare, 13-19 is a student fare, 65+ is a senior fare.

At least from what I've seen, Presto concession fares aren't specific to transit operators. If you have a "student" card, it charges the student fare on every system. Same for child and senior cards. This works because every GTA transit system uses the same age blocks - 6-12 is a child fare, 13-19 is a student fare, 65+ is a senior fare.

There is a provision for special ones. For instance, 'PS1' is the GO Transit post-secondary fare, but as the TTC has not setup PS1 on their system, it charges the adult fare of $3.00. Presumably, if the student fare is code 'ST1' as currently enabled on all transit systems, the TTC could disable 'ST1' and create a new 'ST2', so that all out-of-area students are charged the adult fare and their students are charged the adult fare when using other agencies. This is, of course, a terrible user experience and largely contrary to the point of having presto, but very much possible.

Just reading the FAQs for the TTC Presto Card Metropass:
http://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/Monthly_Pass_FAQ.jsp

What I don't see, at least in the FAQs, is that someone else can't use your card as a Metropass. ID must be presented to prove the age concession is valid, not noted is whether your ID is also noted and registered.

This brings up the "transferable" question.
PRESTO cards can be shared, however, can only be used by one person at a time. Two people cannot travel at the same time using one PRESTO card as the Fare Payment Device will only deduct one fare per ride on GO Transit. When using someone else's card, be aware of default or fare classification settings they may have.Mar 1, 2017

I see a number of problems for the system being gamed.

2. If I were a fare inspector on the same vehicle, I want to see ALL people tapping so that I know EVERYONE boarding has paid. One way or another, if every person entering that vehicle taps, they have paid. This removes the need to check each person AFTER they board and makes the fare payment process easier to verify.
When fare inspectors ride along on the route the is exactly what they do after they have made their way through the car with the new ones one wills and at each of the far machines and walk over to new ple that board from the front or rear doors.

true but the TTC wants their rules to be different then everyone else by putting photos of the student/ kids on them so they know who is supposed to have that fare, it may not be as much of a problem with having students of all ages riding public transit all the time as it is in Toronto. Most High School student her ride the TTC daily from Monday to Friday just to get to scholl and some younger kids do as well if they go to school downtown like for example St. Michael's Choir school.

Have you any evidence of either of these statements? (No meetings on fare integration, TTC not big on fare integration.)
The no meeting part comes from me watching the video of the TTC monthly board meeting on youtube. Back in March one of the councilors on the board mentioned that they ahdn't had a meeting with the metrolinx board in over a year and then made amson to invite them to host another joint meeting. As for the other part it's just speculation because the TTC is the biggest player in the transit game in the GTHA and stands to lose the most with fare integration.

When fare inspectors ride along on the route the is exactly what they do after they have made their way through the car with the new ones one wills and at each of the far machines and walk over to new ple that board from the front or rear doors.
And then what? The passenger with a Metropass loaded on his/her Presto Card allows them to determine the status. In effect, the Metropass is a time-limited pass-key. If you're already in, then you're not in violation of any rules. Is there a signed contract to get a Presto Card with conditions attached?

What exactly is the offence that they can be charged with? A quote or reference will be suffice.

true but the TTC wants their rules to be different then everyone else by putting photos of the student/ kids on them so they know who is supposed to have that fare
The kibosh has been put on that story, for good reason. It's not compliant with Ontario Law. Asking for separate ID might be, but that is still contentious. TTC brass have probably been told by Presto's lawyers to drop the matter before it becomes a PR disaster.

Last edited:
And then what? The passenger with a Metropass loaded on his/her Presto Card allows them to determine the status.

What exactly is the offence that they can be charged with? A quote or reference will be suffice.
There are other systems that use Presto that currently have monthly passes available for them I'm not familiar with how they work but I would assume that you would have to tap it on a rider to show it's active on that particular roue. I don't relly see why Preto is such a problem for poel and why they don't want to follow the rules. Whenever I use my Metropass at a station I always swipe it, and I'm suspicious of the pole that don't seem to want to do it and often wonder if ther pass isn't legitimate. With Passes being available only on Presto it makes it so the only way to get one is through the TTC and not someone else that may be making them fraudulently.

The kibosh has been put on that story, for good reason. It's not compliant with Ontario Law. Asking for separate ID might be, but that is still contentious. TTC brass have probably been told by Presto's lawyers to drop the matter before it becomes a PR disaster.
The TTC is still saying they are going ahead with it in September so I don't know where you are getting that lawyers are saying it's against any rules. Just remember the TTC is private Property and can pass any rules they need to to enforce the rules should they need to, it;'s like people that were trying to say that they didn't need to get a transfer when Presto first rolled out because the TTC rules didn't list it but the TTC id say on their website and many other places to get one well it was being rolled out to all stations and, buses, and streetcars.

I don't relly see why Preto is such a problem for poel and why they don't want to follow the rules.
I see you haven't quoted the "rule". Look, I don't mean to be difficult, but in effect, what you're saying is "Why can't you just do as you're told". Because I wish to see a Bylaw stating it, and examine the legality of that. That is how our system of law works, not just "doing as you're told".
The TTC is still saying they are going ahead with it in September so I don't know where you are getting that lawyers are saying it's against any rules.
I stated "probably". Post your reference. I've Googled a few times, and can't find any.

Edit: Here is the only reference that I can find to TTC photo Presto cards, and it's old:
Photo ID PRESTO cards (Child – 10-12, Youth, Post-secondary)

• Photo ID PRESTO cards will be introduced.
  • Details on timing are still being confirmed and we will let you know when they will be available.
https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/PRESTO_fast_facts.jsp

Last edited:
I stated "probably". Post your reference. I've Googled a few times, and can't find any.

Edit: Here is the only reference that I can find to TTC photo Presto cards, and it's old:
Photo ID PRESTO cards (Child – 10-12, Youth, Post-secondary)

• Photo ID PRESTO cards will be introduced.
    • Details on timing are still being confirmed and we will let you know when they will be available.
https://www.ttc.ca/Fares_and_passes/PRESTO/PRESTO_fast_facts.jsp
It was something from Brad Ross on twitter a few months back when it was first proposed that they wanted to wait until the start of the school year to do it it may even be september 2018 before they do it.

Back