News   May 13, 2024
 784     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   May 13, 2024
 756     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Has anyone released data on what the underlying failure causes are for these devices? Hardware or software? Device, or telecom? Circuit board or wiring? RF interference?

Considering all the other electronic devices in our lives that work just fine for years, I'm wondering what makes these things so troublesome.

I'm also wondering if there is a power off or reboot button. Considering it's what tech support suggests everywhere else in the information world, how often do these devices just need a reboot cycle to come back to life? Maybe we users ought to take this into our own hands.....

- Paul

In this case I think the hardware is just utterly broken - it was working fine prior, but one has gotten a permanent do not enter, the other got a dead screen. Where's their tiger team for this sort of thing when one of the busiest stations on the system is out of commission that way? And on and off for a full month?!

AoD

I just don't get how PRESTO could be installed on Ottawa and every other agency in the GTA with nowhere near the amount of issues (especially on buses) that we see on the TTC. It seems fishy. Were there problems on other systems, certainly, but I don't think the readers were going out of service nearly as much. Who installed the readers on the TTC? was it TTC personnel?

I just don't get how PRESTO could be installed on Ottawa and every other agency in the GTA with nowhere near the amount of issues (especially on buses) that we see on the TTC. It seems fishy. Were there problems on other systems, certainly, but I don't think the readers were going out of service nearly as much. Who installed the readers on the TTC? was it TTC personnel?

Nobody else has turnstyles/faregates (yet), for one. And I'd imagine the usage level is far higher - wear and tear?

AoD

So at the Wilson Station entrance from the main parking lot they are removing the old turnstiles which accept tokens or Metropass and replacing with the new Presto fare gates.

Signs were up for a few weeks saying the entrance would be closed from January 6 to January 9 at 6pm to do the work. I was surprised how short this work would take and also how precise the end time was. But then figured the TTC has done this exact thing across the network so at this point maybe they’ve mastered it.

I was wrong. Today a new sign was up. The work would be completed in “mid-February”. What a joke…

Reactions: BMO
Speaking of 100% Presto installed - yesterday Dundas station southbound - two Presto readers, both broken (they have been hovering at 50% at best for the last month). They have to get someone to stand there and wave the riders though, asking them to tap when exiting (!!). Honestly, how much more backwards can they get - a) having an automated system that failed and could not fix for good for a month; b) having to have someone stand there to visually check the presence of a Presto card and c) begging someone to "tap" when exiting out of the goodness of their heart (and how, anyways)?

It doesn't matter if you're 100% installed if you have to resort to this BS - a) you bought equipment that is broken and cannot be used b) you have to have someone standing their incurring an additional labour cost and c) you can't even recover the fare. That's like a triple loss.

AoD

well thats what you get when you rush things with little to no followup. They assumed that the gates and machines will work flawlessly from day 1 but they are wrong, and
they failed to have adequate contingencies to keep up

well thats what you get when you rush things with little to no followup. They assumed that the gates and machines will work flawlessly from day 1 but they are wrong, and
they failed to have adequate contingencies to keep up

I am not sure if that's an issue with rush job - the terminal has been around for awhile. Lack of contingency? Perhaps.

AoD

Nobody else has turnstyles/faregates (yet), for one. And I'd imagine the usage level is far higher - wear and tear?
AoD

That's what I don't get. I just don't see these as high-wear-and-tear devices. Vibration from bumping along on the vehicle, I get. Tapping on them with a card doesn't seem all that rough. Compare it to a firefighter's portable radio or the console in a taxi, or even the average laptop..... pretty easy duty cycle.

I was figuring the answer might be more esoteric....wifi interference that comes and goes in the subway (concrete boxes are brutal on wifi, tenants have their own systems that may be changing periodically) or radio signal gaps that result from changes in repeater locations or even new buildings affecting reception paths. Or defective electronics. Or firmware that shuts down in unpredictable ways. Just spitballing.

- Paul

That's what I don't get. I just don't see these as high-wear-and-tear devices. Vibration from bumping along on the vehicle, I get. Tapping on them with a card doesn't seem all that rough. Compare it to a firefighter's portable radio or even the average laptop..... pretty easy duty cycle.

I was figuring the answer might be more esoteric....wifi interference that comes and goes in the subway (concrete boxes are brutal on wifi, tenants have their own systems that may be changing periodically) or radio signal gaps that result from changes in repeater locations or even new buildings affecting reception paths. Or defective electronics. Or firmware that shuts down in unpredictable ways. Just spitballing.

- Paul

Oh I can see it - people bang bags and whatever they're carrying onto the readers all the time. The way they're installed just invites impact (unlike the new fare gates) and the units look worse for wear.

AoD

Honestly, how much more backwards can they get - a) having an automated system that failed and could not fix for good for a month

A month? Dundas station was fine two days ago...

VDDHMU1.png

Just a little hyperbole?

A month? Dundas station was fine two days ago...

VDDHMU1.png

Just a little hyperbole?

Did you read my post prior?

Speaking of 100% Presto installed - yesterday evening rush Dundas station southbound - two Presto readers, both broken (they have been hovering at 50% availability at best for the last month). They have to get someone to stand there and wave the riders though, asking them to tap when exiting (!!). Honestly, how much more backwards can they get - a) having an automated system that failed and could not fix for good for a month; b) having to have someone stand there to visually check the presence of a Presto card and c) begging someone to "tap" when exiting out of the goodness of their heart (and how, anyways)?

Since when should one think that even 50% availability (1 out of 2 readers) for a month during rush at a highly used station is an acceptable level of service? Try catching a rider to Union/GO with a lineup at the reader.

AoD

Last edited:
Did you read my post prior?

Since when should one think that even 50% availability (1 out of 2 readers) for a month during rush at a highly used station is an acceptable level of service? Try catching a rider to Union/GO with a lineup at the reader.

AoD
Since those readers are going to be replaced sometime this year they probably aren't worried about them breaking down.

Per customer reports on Reddit and confirmation by @hmacmillanbrown TTC operators have been instructed to no longer give paper transfers to riders paying with Presto, since it is now available at all stations+on all vehicles and transfers work electronically. Additionally, riders no longer need a transfer if their vehicle short-turns, you just don't tap on the second vehicle and fare inspectors can see your previous tap.

Heather added that bus operators have been informed of this, so I guess they're supposed to take you at your word that the previous bus short-turned with no proof of payment that they can access...that sounds concerning to me as experience tells me many TTC operators don't care about these directives from management where fare payment is concerned, e.g. streetcar drivers not allowing rear boarding/POP over a year after change-over. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I still encounter occasional confusion from TTC drivers regarding Presto. Last week when I boarded a bus with an inoperative front Presto reader the driver told me to exit at the subway and tap on there rather than tapping on the functioning rear Presto reader. His understanding was the rear Presto reader was only supposed to be used by passengers transferring to the bus at the subway.

I still encounter occasional confusion from TTC drivers regarding Presto. Last week when I boarded a bus with an inoperative front Presto reader the driver told me to exit at the subway and tap on there rather than tapping on the functioning rear Presto reader. His understanding was the rear Presto reader was only supposed to be used by passengers transferring to the bus at the subway.

That's certainly a new one. He's correct in terms of the long-term plan for those rear readers, in that they're only ever supposed to be used when transferring from the subway to a bus since no buses operate with POP/rear door boarding at non-station stops, but right now that policy isn't in place+with so many failed front readers they're critical as a fallback.

Back