News   Jul 15, 2024
 249     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 392     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Unfortunately the majority of TTC drivers seem to either not know about this policy, or not to care. Most of the time I've been on a vehicle with a broken reader the driver has refused to let me board. Checking tweets directed to @ttchelps and @bradttc indicated this is a very common problem.

It's great that this is the policy--it absolutely should be--but policies are irrelevant when they don't bother to a) train their drivers or b) punish drivers who violate the policy.
The problem is most drivers are not informed. Drivers find out how a presto reader works by watching people use it. Most have no idea why the reader turns yellow instead of green either.

Unfortunately the majority of TTC drivers seem to either not know about this policy, or not to care. Most of the time I've been on a vehicle with a broken reader the driver has refused to let me board. Checking tweets directed to @ttchelps and @bradttc indicated this is a very common problem.

It's great that this is the policy--it absolutely should be--but policies are irrelevant when they don't bother to a) train their drivers or b) punish drivers who violate the policy.

I've experienced this a few times as well. Not only that, today I also learned that even the Presto icons on the TTC website are BS. Because the bus that I used today, which was supposed to have presto, did not have presto.

Screen shot 2016-09-26 at 6.38.16 PM.png

The driver forced me to pay the cash fare, which I didn't plan for, and didn't have enough change for. I've been using this route frequently for several weeks now, and the buses always had presto until today. But apparently it was my fault that I wasn't prepared to pay in cash, according to the driver, since presto is "not implemented yet" (system wide). Oh, and that I also much pay the cash fare if the readers are broken (not true, fool).

I just got off the bus and waited in the rain for the next one. Debating with rude or ignorant drivers has never worked out for me.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-09-26 at 6.38.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-09-26 at 6.38.16 PM.png
    47.5 KB · Views: 802
I think autoload keeps working during the upgrade. You won't be able to set it up, but if it's already set up it should be fine (since the autoload settings are stored on your card)
It always has before. The device will see the autoload on the card, and will process it - in oblivion to whatever is going on in the back office. I suppose it might take a bit longer to process onto the credit/debit card.

Hey Guys,

If I wanted to take the bus from Barrie to Union, I have to take a bus from Barrie to Newmarket, and then Newmarket to Union.

Do I tap on, tap off, tap on, and tap off?

Yeah, just read that article. As a tech, I find the "power supply" line of argument ridiculous. Is it possible? Absolutely, interrupted supply plays havoc with most computer systems, but you'd have to be an idiot to not know the state of the power feed before connecting the device.

There may be a more technical issue, like a filthy line (noise, peaks, chopper hash from the power inverter, etc) but again, you'd analyze the power environment with a scope before doing a fleet installation. That, and the RF (communications) abilities would be the very first things to check, and *ameliorate* before installing. That's mostly a case of using appropriate filters, termed 'line conditioners'. And of course, checking the reader's manufacturer's known issues before installing.

But I digress....

Back