News   Jul 15, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 514     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Related to Presto - the Region of Waterloo is slated to award a contract tomorrow to Scheidt & Bachmann to install Grand River Transit's new fare system. (Details on page 34 here.) Installation is scheduled for 2015.

The card is independent from Presto apart from a specific integration at the GO train platform. However, the report says: "Staff has spoken with Metrolinx about EFMS [Electronic Fare Management System] integration with Presto. Accordingly, the proposed EFMS includes hardware that is capable of supporting fuller integration with Presto. Staff will continue discussions with Presto as a future phase of the EFMS."

There is also hardware provision for future open payment and smartphone payment.

I read a little into the details of the proposal, specifically the Ticket Vending Machines that will be put in place in ION platforms. (page 39) Their plan is to have the machines take care of everything, from vending a brand new smart card, all the reloading functionality, vending temporary smart cards that will stop working after a while (for day passes) and taking care of single-ride tickets. The machine would take in cash and spit out a paper transfer with a QR code that is going to be scanned on machines in the vehicles.

Does Metrolinx plan to have similar machines that take care of vending tickets, temporary smart cards, and presto cards? I understand there is the prototype at Union station that has reloading functionality for presto cards. Is Ottawa planning a system similar to the one in Kitchener with these magic machines?

PRESTO cards will only be able to be purchased at subway stations from my understanding.

TVMs will be used for ticket sales outside of PRESTO, which will have its own machine for reloading.

TVMs will be on every streetcar and at major streetcar stops, as well as at every subway stop. PRESTO service machines will be at every subway stop.

eventually after PRESTO has reached saturation and ticket booths have been phased out, you will need to go to Davisville (or Union) to buy a PRESTO card.

I read a little into the details of the proposal, specifically the Ticket Vending Machines that will be put in place in ION platforms. (page 39) Their plan is to have the machines take care of everything, from vending a brand new smart card, all the reloading functionality, vending temporary smart cards that will stop working after a while (for day passes) and taking care of single-ride tickets. The machine would take in cash and spit out a paper transfer with a QR code that is going to be scanned on machines in the vehicles.

Does Metrolinx plan to have similar machines that take care of vending tickets, temporary smart cards, and presto cards? I understand there is the prototype at Union station that has reloading functionality for presto cards. Is Ottawa planning a system similar to the one in Kitchener with these magic machines?

Yes. Ottawa is planning 'magic machines' like that for its Confederation Line (http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=minutes&itemid=312880). Montreal already has them in their metro system. As a tourist in Montreal, you can buy a single ride on the metro with your credit card at a machine without talking to a human. It's very convenient.

The whole world? I'm yet to see it much in my travels recently. New York - no. Vancouver - no, but I heard something was coming last time I was there. Seattle - I hear something is in place, but I haven't seen it in use yet. Montreal - yes, but it's a much simpler system with severe limitations if you start travelling where you don't travel regularly.

I'd be more embarrassed in those towns, if I didn't know when my bus was coming, which Toronto has had running now for years.

"Whole world" in ksun = China and Tokyo

Presto is already a huge boondoggle.

PRESTO cards will only be able to be purchased at subway stations from my understanding.

TVMs will be used for ticket sales outside of PRESTO, which will have its own machine for reloading.

TVMs will be on every streetcar and at major streetcar stops, as well as at every subway stop. PRESTO service machines will be at every subway stop.

eventually after PRESTO has reached saturation and ticket booths have been phased out, you will need to go to Davisville (or Union) to buy a PRESTO card.

We should see TVMs installed soon if Spadina is switching to new streetcars Aug 28 right?

Why not also have TVMs at busy bus stops and make busy bus lines POP?

I'd suggest setting up the autoload. Once it's running properly, it's very painless ... and you don't have to worry about it again. The only trouble I've had in 4 years with several Presto cards, is that on one occasion, a card loaded, but my credit card didn't get charged until about 30 days later.
I don't use transit enough for autoload to be worthwhile for me. I spend between $5 and $20 on transit each month, so I usually don't bother keeping more than $10 on my Presto card. I guess my transit usage is atypical though.

Yes. Ottawa is planning 'magic machines' like that for its Confederation Line (http://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/agdocs.aspx?doctype=minutes&itemid=312880). Montreal already has them in their metro system. As a tourist in Montreal, you can buy a single ride on the metro with your credit card at a machine without talking to a human. It's very convenient.

Ottawa seems to be doing a great job with Presto... I just found this article online:

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/...-smart-card-sync-times-down-from-24-48-hours/

"Presto now reloads in four hours; OC Transpo smart card sync times down from 24-48 hours"

TVMs only take a week or two to install, they will likely start them in early august, if they start them at all.

PRESTO also won't be on the streetcars until November.

I don't like autoload, too afraid my money will go missing. I'm just in the habit of either using digital load if I remember a day or two before I run out or load up at Union.

Tip: the GO ticket sales booth in the great hall never has any line ups, the perfect spot to load up quickly even during rush hour.

I don't use transit enough for autoload to be worthwhile for me. I spend between $5 and $20 on transit each month, so I usually don't bother keeping more than $10 on my Presto card. I guess my transit usage is atypical though.
You use more on Presto than I do many months, particularly in the winter. I find it's easier to just keep a minimum $20 on a card. Good news though, they announced recently that they are lowering the minimum ... this summer I think.

No thank you. It's unbelievably convineint to be able to ride transit without having to worry about the amount of money you have on hand.

I agree.

I like to hop on and hop off.

I use the bus and streetcar to shop, run errands (it's especially convenient in South Etobicoke)

I make it a game.

Does anyone know:

1) When the gen 2 Presto cards will be available to us?
2) If gen 1 cards will work in the interim, on new fare gates and streetcars?

"Whole world" in ksun = China and Tokyo

Not really. Soeul and HK as well. and A number of European cities have those, which need not to be mentioned.
Buenos Aires and Santiago underground also uses rechargable magnatic card.
In the "third world", The Bangkok subway (BTS skytrain and MRT) offer contactless fare cards which can be machine-charged at stations. So does Mexico City.
My world is not that small after all, is it?

Back