News   Aug 13, 2024
 311     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 480     0 
News   Aug 12, 2024
 1.1K     2 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

I know they are dealing with a bigger fleet, but I don't remember only select YRT buses and routes having Presto while others did not - with the exception of TTC and special needs buses operating in York Region. Didn't the province implement deadlines for when the entire system was to be Presto enabled (ie: Pan Am games)? The province needs to implement harsh penalties against the TTC and city if there is a single turnstile which doesn't support a Presto card by this time.

As for the extra costs involved with setting up Presto on streetcars that will be taken out of service within 5 years... TOO FUCKING BAD! Presto began rolling out SEVEN years ago, and we have had a Presto friendly administration in Toronto for over THREE years now. In that time, only TWO subway stations have added Presto (four if you include those which came online in December 2010). This is like not starting a project until the night before, and then demanding an extension.

Despite all the claims of the province not funding transit, they do give nearly $100 million per year to the TTC from gas tax revenue. If the system is not 100% Presto enabled by next summer, they should withhold those funds until it is. If there is a transit system more reluctant to change than the TTC, I do not want to know about it...

old streetcars are going to be upgraded. they have been adament that full rollout will come in 2016 and as we know we will have the old streetcars around until 2020. PRESTO is coming. They also seem interested in having presto for 4 streetcar lines this year, while from my knowledge only 2 are actually going to get new streetcars.

and yes, rollout is being done by metrolinx not the TTC. the TTC finished their role in the matter when they finally signed on in 2012.

I know they are dealing with a bigger fleet, but I don't remember only select YRT buses and routes having Presto while others did not - with the exception of TTC and special needs buses operating in York Region.

The way it was handled at Brampton Transit (and I think others) is that machines were installed in buses over a period of time but none went live until the whole system did.

Nope, st Clair west isn't getting new turnstiles, they are probably just installing background infrastructure for presto. I don't think it's even scheduled to get presto this year.

No stations are getting turnstile for sure,
The TTC is still considering it. That's why stintz saw those, it was a demo of potential models.

Nope, st Clair west isn't getting new turnstiles, they are probably just installing background infrastructure for presto. I don't think it's even scheduled to get presto this year.

No stations are getting turnstile for sure,
The TTC is still considering it. That's why stintz saw those, it was a demo of potential models.

These are the sort of things that frustrate me a bit.....those sort of turnstiles are in operation at many transit systems...yet we have to set up long, detailed studies/tests instead of just saying "how does it work in "x" " . For some reason we have managed to convince ourselves that despite there being massive systems all around the world that Toronto/GTA somehow has unique transit/transportation issues.

These are the sort of things that frustrate me a bit.....those sort of turnstiles are in operation at many transit systems...yet we have to set up long, detailed studies/tests instead of just saying "how does it work in "x" " . For some reason we have managed to convince ourselves that despite there being massive systems all around the world that Toronto/GTA somehow has unique transit/transportation issues.

And despite years of testing they somehow missed that:
-the new subway door opening issue
-the fact that the new subways have huge areas where there's nothing to hold onto
:)

its more of "do we want to spend the money on it" than "what turnstile should we buy?"

IIRC they are looking if they should just retrofit the existing turnstiles or replace the old ones.

New turnstiles cost more money than retrofitting them. In the grand scheme of things i'd say turnstiles are the least of the TTC's worries, very rarely have I seen them not working and I'd much rather see the money put towards platform screen doors rather than turnstiles IMO. They would be a nice to have though.

And despite years of testing they somehow missed that:
-the new subway door opening issue
-the fact that the new subways have huge areas where there's nothing to hold onto
:)
That the first thing I noticed when i first rode the subway

because people don't understand how the card works, and instead of being gracious and saying it was their mistake they blame it on the system. Just earlier this week some I overheard some guy complaining that he got charged extra because the card broke, but his explanation made it obvious that he forgot to tap off and got charged the entire distance. (Lincolnville - Mount Joy was his trip, he forgot to tap off and got charged to Union, and was complaining) He was huffing and puffing about hating presto but he simply screwed up.

Also, I don't see how the 24 hour wait period is such a big issue for people. Its there as a convenience for loading if you realize you are getting close to empty, but in the end if you need an instant load it is very easy to get one. You can load money instantly from any GO bus driver, any GO station, etc. If you need to load right before your trip, simply load as you get on. Its not like online payment is the only way to pay, in which case it would be problematic, but PRESTO offers lots of other options so you don't have to wait the 24 hours. I rarely even use the online load feature, usually opting to load up in the morning when I arrive at union as there are never any lines and I can just walk up to the attendant, load however much onto my card, and keep going with my day. literally takes 2 minutes.

Also, I find it almost never takes the full 24 hours to work. Very often its closer to 12 hours from my experience.

Last edited:
Yeah the thing is, people thought that the 24 hour delay applied to all payments when those articles came out a few days ago.

Anyways, the Presto rollout on TTC seems to be happening very very slowly.

Back