News   Jul 03, 2024
 167     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 997     0 
News   Jul 02, 2024
 2.5K     0 

Metrolinx: Presto Fare Card

Just noticed yesterday, the Presto card readers at union have been removed. I cannot seem to derive a reasonable explanation for this from any source of knowledge or logic...
You should read this thread then. We discussed the upcoming ending of the pilot programme in August! The Presto website was very clear that the trial would end September 30th, and that the pilot programme did "not represent the final solution in terms equipment, cards or customer convenience features"

As the programme is shut down, then there is no point leaving the equipment in place, as it would only serve to confuse people.

As I posted in August, the launch information is at http://www.prestocard.ca/en/when/default.aspx - and the readers should be back in Union station next fall.

Prince of Wales gets free bus pass, as he turns 60

From Transport for London:
Freedom Passes allow older and eligible disabled people who live in a London borough to travel free on London's public transport network.

From Telegraph.co.uk article:
Prince of Wales given a bus pass as 60th birthday present
The Prince of Wales was given a present which reminds him of one of the advantages of turning 60 – a free bus pass.

Why is it that the Prince of Wales, who is now 60 years old, is able to get a free transit pass in London, but seniors (and disabled) here in the Greater Toronto Area has to pay? Even worse, while you can be over 60 and living in London you can a free pass, but here it is only if they are over 65. Worse still, it is half-price for us, but for Londoners it is free.

Last edited:
Why is it that the Prince of Wales, who is now 60 years old, is able to get a free transit pass in London, but seniors (and disabled) here in the Greater Toronto Area has to pay? Even worse, while you can be over 60 and living in London you can a free pass, but here it is only if they are over 65. Worse still, it is half-price for us, but for Londoners it is free.
That's just the way it works there. Local ransit is free for most senior-citizens across England.

But things vary here as well. A monthly pass for a senior or student is $91.25 in Toronto - but only $36 in Montreal.

Different places, different choices.

That's just the way it works there. Local ransit is free for most senior-citizens across England.

But things vary here as well. A monthly pass for a senior or student is $91.25 in Toronto - but only $36 in Montreal.

Different places, different choices.

I stand corrected. It's worse. If the regular monthly pass is $109, at least half price it should be $54.50 for seniors.

I did notice in the Travel Benefits page for Transport for London web page, that seniors could only use their Freedom Pass only after 9 AM (after the morning rush), but anytime for the disabled.

I stand corrected. It's worse. If the regular monthly pass is $109, at least half price it should be $54.50 for seniors.
I suppose ... Montreal isn't 50% either. Seniors are $36 but a regular monthly pass is only $66.25 there (even though cash rides are the same $2.75 as here, and tickets are $2 and day passes $9 there - similiar to here).

The big issue here is that passes are so expensive compared to other cities. I've never seen a city where you can take transit to work every day, and it's still cheaper to use tokens than buy a pass.

Even with a income tax credit on transit passes, it is expensive.

Worse is that if your employer gives you a transit pass, it is considered a taxable benefit. But if the parking lot space is free to the employee, it is not a taxable benefit (even though the employer is paying the property tax or snow removal on it).

Mean well Calgary charges $35 per year and Edmonton is $11.50/month or $108 a year.

Most systems in the US offer free transit to seniors well some charge them $1 if they want to ride at peak time and free rest of the time.

MT charges $39/month or $390 a year and going up in 2009.

The Presto under development will be hold all the fare structures for all the systems in the GTAH, but offer no saving to a rider for using 1 card. In fact, as it stands now unless changes are made, you will have to pay 2 fares if you are transferring from one system to another system in the 905 where it is fee now.

I still prefer the card that stays in my pants and the reader can read it when I am 6", 12" or 18" from the reader. Save time for ppl getting on the vehicles compare to it is done today using all door.

Well once we have a card we can start to make the adjustments afterwords ... coming up with a solution for the fare change is one problem, one that's likely to be pretty complicated. Mainly due to politics unfortunately.

So the first stage of Presto is just a card that you can use to pay on any transit system?

In other words the same fares we pay today will still apply i.e. the double charge.

Anyway the point is at least a system will be in place for us to use once we decide on a solution.

Looking at http://www.prestocard.ca/en/when/default.aspx - the implementation schedule has slipped (as expected).

In August it was:

Stage One - fall 2009
GO Transit Lakeshore West line
Burlington Transit (whole system)
Toronto Transit Commission Union subway station
Oakville Transit (whole system) (winter 2010)

Stage Two - mid-2010
GO Transit buses
GO Transit (Milton line and Georgetown lines)
Mississauga Transit
Brampton Transit
Toronto Transit Commission Finch and Islington subway stations

Stage Three - mid 2010
Durham Region Transit
York Region Transit
Hamilton Street Railway
GO Transit (remaining system)
Toronto Transit Commission Downsview and Don Mills subway stations

Now it is:
Stage one
Field Trials, GO Transit's Oakville and Bronte rail stations as well as Union Station, September 2009.

Stage two
Complete Lakeshore West GO Rail and Oakville and Burlington Transit by February 2010.

Stage three

Milton and Georgetown GO Rail lines and associated GO Bus routes, Brampton Transit, Mississauga Transit and TTC Islington Subway Station by June 2010.
Barrie Stouffville and Richmond Hill GO Rail and Associated GO Bus routes, Hamilton Street Railway, York Region Transit and TTC Subway stations Finch, Don Mills and Downsview by September 2010.
Lakeshore East GO Rail line and associated GO Bus routes and Durham Region Transit by December 2011.

Stage four
Ottawa's OC Transpo System by winter 2011.

OC Transpo - that's new. By winter 2011?? If they are not still on strike perhaps ... :)

The amount of slippage is amazing. In 5 months some of the dates have slipped by 18 months!

OC Transpo?? Does that mean we will get a GO train to Ottawa =P. No, but truly, how would one use the PRESTO card in Ottawa?? It might only be useful for people who travel there often, as to not have 2 cards, but I really don't get it :confused:

OC Transpo?? Does that mean we will get a GO train to Ottawa =P. No, but truly, how would one use the PRESTO card in Ottawa?? It might only be useful for people who travel there often, as to not have 2 cards, but I really don't get it :confused:

You would go to Ottawa and use it...

Since this is a provincial program why shouldn't any transit agency in the province participate if they want to?

They can print red and white maple leaf cards if they like, but the underlying software is the same.

I think it's a fantastic idea that they are planning to use the same technology for the whole province. This should make maintenance cheaper and make transit an even more attractive option.

I would love to fly into Ottawa Airport and know that I can hop on a bus without trying to hunt down exact change or a ticket counter, and I'm sure others will feel the same way.

Good on Metrolinx. Now let's see if we can get them to speed out the roll-out. Montreal has embarrassed us with their comparatively quick implementation.

The amount of slippage is amazing. In 5 months some of the dates have slipped by 18 months!

I was wondering when the site would be updated with this schedule; the slippage has been known for several months now.

It's mostly a result of the original schedule being unrealistic given the amount of work to be done, which became apparent as the agencies involved formalized their requirements.

I'm still perplexed on how you start Presto on Lakeshore West 2 years before you start it on Lakeshore East - given that they are for the most part the same trains (personally I'm tired of carrying around Danforth-Exhibition 10-ride tickets ...).

Back