News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 929     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

Aikins posted this really nice map on Twitter recently that I haven't seen before. Is there's a higher resolution available somewhere?

Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.09.57 PM.png

DSENeZ9W4AErhCR.jpg

Attachments

• DSENeZ9W4AErhCR.jpg
    DSENeZ9W4AErhCR.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 601
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.09.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-01 at 8.09.57 PM.png
    33.8 KB · Views: 472
Aikins posted this really nice map on Twitter recently that I haven't seen before. Is there's a higher resolution available somewhere?

View attachment 131391

View attachment 131390
If you look at the follow up reply’s on the tweet, you’ll see that she said you can email her for a PDF copy. If you get it, would you share it here too :D?

Also, that map is hilariously out of scale :p.

Why do that when you can say service will improve in 5 years? :p

This map is another foot down a slippery slope. ML is very good at melding what has been achieved with what is on the road to happening with what might be achieved with what is pure fantasy. And then taking credit in advance for all of it.

Call me a curmudgeon but IMHO based on today's network, this map is more on topic in the Fantasy Map thread than in a "reality" thread.

- Paul

This map is another foot down a slippery slope. ML is very good at melding what has been achieved with what is on the road to happening with what might be achieved with what is pure fantasy. And then taking credit in advance for all of it.

Call me a curmudgeon but IMHO based on today's network, this map is more on topic in the Fantasy Map thread than in a "reality" thread.

- Paul

I strongly disagree. Notwithstanding the obvious (GO lines, subway, etc.) items already in service, many of the things on the map are finished or nearly finished construction, many others are well underway or have at least gotten started, and most of what hasn't is designed and funded with construction scheduled to start soon. There are only a couple of things, the Sheppard East LRT and the Scarborough Subway Extension which remain in a reasonable degree of doubt.

ION LRT is constructed, awaiting final train delivery. MiWay's Transitway is complete. I think the Hurontario-Main LRT is funded and supposed to get underway in the next year or two. I believe preliminary work on the Finch West LRT has started (Finch West station is open and has a knockout wall for the LRT station), it's fully funded, and Alstom is contracted for vehicles. Viva's Rapidway on Highway 7 East is complete, the stretch around VMC is complete, and they are long since underway working on the stretches to connect Yonge to VMC and to go west from VMC, with the aim of opening them 2018-2019. The rapidways on Yonge in Richmond Hill and Newmarket are progressing as well, and the one on Davis Dr is open. Eglinton LRT is well underway, East and West aren't shown on the map so no fantasy there. And I'm not up to date with Hamilton's first LRT line but I believe it's happening. GO: Bloomington GO is being built right now, support pillars have gone up for the garage; Innisful and Mulock GO, the Oshawa split, and the Niagara Falls extension may not be under construction but I think it's clear that each of those is happening at this point, within the next few years; work on RER is beginning with double-tracking/platforming of stations on the Barrie and Stouffville lines.

Disappointing that Kirby GO remains on the map.

I strongly disagree. Notwithstanding the obvious (GO lines, subway, etc.) items already in service, many of the things on the map are finished or nearly finished construction, many others are well underway or have at least gotten started, and most of what hasn't is designed and funded with construction scheduled to start soon. There are only a couple of things, the Sheppard East LRT and the Scarborough Subway Extension which remain in a reasonable degree of doubt.

If you want to take today's service level as "what you see is what you get", then some of those lines could be accepted as shown. But

Bowmanville GO - under negotiation with CP and no clear timetable
Niagara GO - under negotiation with CN and no clear timetable
Stouffville/Lakeshore East - improvements constrained by need to complete fourth track Don to Scarborough Jct; this has EA completed but neither RFQ nor RFP
Kitchener - service beyond Malton under negotiation with CN and no clear timetable, but depends on completion of the Bypass
Kitchener - service east of MP 7 was put to tender Jan 2017 but no contract awarded (that I can find, anyways)
Bypass - EA not started, major project with long lead times
Sheppard East LRT ?
DRL - MIA ?
Hamilton GO Hourly service ?

Definitely plenty of projects are on the move, but all the more reason why we should expect candour and accurate depiction of projects that are intended but not committed. In my space, 'commitment' happens at financial close on the awarded tender or RFP. Everything leading up to that is good intentions and perhaps deserves one third credit, but you know what they say about good intentions.

- Paul

We have some early morning breaking news: Del Duca is out as Minister of Announcements (Transportation)

Unfortunately he will be taking on the role of Minister of Announcements (Economic Development) which will have thousands of more chances for photo-ops. I have no idea how he got promoted to such an important portfolio, but the amount of scandals that will come out from that Ministry in the future will be salacious.

We have some early morning breaking news: Del Duca is out as Minister of Announcements (Transportation)

Unfortunately he will be taking on the role of Minister of Announcements (Economic Development) which will have thousands of more chances for photo-ops. I have no idea how he got promoted to such an important portfolio, but the amount of scandals that will come out from that Ministry in the future will be salacious.

While he did an okay job as Minister of Transport, it’s clear that his dream was always to become Minister of Announcments. So I’m happy for Del Duca.

While he did an okay job as Minister of Transport, it’s clear that his dream was always to become Minister of Announcments. So I’m happy for Del Duca.

It's quite telling about Del Duca's stature in the party that after his bad press as Minister of Transportation he still manages to get promoted to an even cushier globetrotting gig as Minister of Economic Development. He must have very strong ties to the moneyed Vaughan Italian community and development industry. It's also well known that he has his eye on the OLP leadership in the very near future.

Back