News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 941     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Metrolinx: Other Items (catch all)

^ Should be a quick response. I'll cross post this to the Ontario Northland thread.
Bit of a waste of a question though.

For some reason we are ok with this government agency running a popularity contest to determine which questions they answer (personally I am not ok with it but “we” seem to be) but it is horrible that we give them some pretty easy to dismiss questions and ones like this that they can answer with a simple “not my pig, not my farm”.

The top 10 questions that Metrolinx will be responded to at their townhall based on votes received are below. In a tweet they've also said they'll take questions from people there and the livestream.

1. USRC East Noise Mitigation
Sabina Dec 8, 2017 - 15:58
USRC East, south of Longboat Avenue, has train operations noise levels far above max recommended levels. Constant train yard and 6-9 tracks maintenance + construction work, overnight during the work week, and on weekends, on top of regular traffic, make it unbearable for residents. This construction will last 8-10 years. Metrolinx is adding a new track, just 15m from our bedrooms. When will Metrolinx finally construct a noise wall and/or provide noise-proofing of the adjacent residences?

Vote[d] for this question: 29
Down vote[d] this question: 1

[An issue that the local neigbourhood association has been raising]

2. Limiting Track Maintenance Noise
captainbully_1379 Dec 8, 2017 - 16:46
What will Metrolinx do to mitigate track maintenance noise levels along the USRC East so that they fall within published regulations/guidelines?

Vote[d] for this question: 24
Down vote[d] this question: 1

[see No. 1]

3. Can we get a breakdown of where our fare dollars go?
ThisCrazyTrain Dec 6, 2017 - 14:25
More transparency is needed to understand just what we are paying for. Thank you.

Vote[d] for this question: 25
Down vote[d] this question: 5

4. Why is Burlington GO Station renovation entering its 6th year?
ThisCrazyTrain Dec 7, 2017 - 20:16
Renovation has stalled. No communication. Timelines not posted in timely manner. Massive station with little seating. Customers fed up with delays.

Vote for this question: 18
Down vote[d] this question: 3

5. What is Metrolinx doing to limit government interference?
rhanna_5551 Dec 6, 2017 - 14:05
Just this year it was discovered that Metrolinx had approved building Kirby GO Station, even though it had initially recommended against building it for at least another 10 years. What is Metrolinx doing to prohibit/limit government and politicians from interfering in, and rigging decisions in their favour?

Vote[d] for this question: 16
Down voted[d] this question:3

6. Promised money for local transit agencies. No longer promised.
nciv_99 Dec 7, 2017 - 09:28
The previous "The Big Move" had promised many millions of dollars to local transit agencies. Now, up to $1.3 Billion go to parking garages! Seems like Metrolinx is only interested in having its passengers drive the first or last km to/from their GO Stations/Bus Terminals. Why is this the case as there's a stronger case toward using those funds to fund local transit?

Vote[d] for this question: 11
Down vote[d] this question: 0

7. Park Lawn Station
John Dec 7, 2017 - 10:48
Given the huge condo population at Lakeshore and Park Lawn, a GO station at Park Lawn would be profitable

Vote for this question: 12
Downvote this question: 3

8. Express Tains [sic]
Young Toronto P...
Dec 7, 2017 - 17:29
Thanks to urban sprawl/pricey GTA housing, many of us are faced with lengthy commutes. What are the plans (if any) to introduce more express trains in order to get people to and from work at a faster pace?

Vote[d] for this question: 11
Down vote[d] this question: 2

9. When will Presto funds loaded online be immediately accessible?
gilbertr71_5554 Dec 6, 2017 - 15:05
Totally unacceptable that we have to wait up to 24 hours to access funds.

Vote[d] for this question: 12
Down vote[d] this question: 3

10. When will the Ontario Northlander Train be reinstated?
Andrew MacLeod Dec 7, 2017 - 09:31
Vote for this question: 12
Down vote[d] this question: 4

Ah hah, so Metrolinx has picked their own top ten. Interesting that they would take out the electrification question. Meanwhile, here is the real top ten according to popularity(votes). Thanks for the info @allendale25.
*the number of votes has not changed, so no new votes

USRC East Noise Mitigation
USRC East, south of Longboat Avenue, has train operations noise levels far above max recommended levels. Constant train yard and 6-9 tracks maintenance + construction work, overnight during the work week, and on weekends, on top of regular traffic, make it unbearable for residents. This construction will last 8-10 years. Metrolinx is adding a new track, just 15m from our bedrooms. When will Metrolinx finally construct a noise wall and/or provide noise-proofing of the adjacent residences?
  • Vote 29
  • Downvote 1
Limiting Track Maintenance Noise
What will Metrolinx do to mitigate track maintenance noise levels along the USRC East so that they fall within published regulations/guidelines?
  • Vote 24
  • Downvote 1
Can we get a breakdown of where our fare dollars go?
More transparency is needed to understand just what we are paying for. Thank you.
  • Vote 25
  • Downvote 5
Why is Burlington GO Station renovation entering its 6th year?
Renovation has stalled. No communication. Timelines not posted in timely manner. Massive station with little seating. Customers fed up with delays.

• Vote 18
  • Downvote 3
What is Metrolinx doing to limit government interference?
Just this year it was discovered that Metrolinx had approved building Kirby GO Station, even though it had initially recommended against building it for at least another 10 years. What is Metrolinx doing to prohibit/limit government and politicians from interfering in, and rigging decisions in their favour?
  • Vote 16
  • Downvote 3
Electrification of GO - why not stick with what works?
Instead of investing in an unproven hydrogen technology, Metrolinx should stick with overhead wires for electrifying GO trains.
Ontario, and Toronto has been burnt before by unproven technology - for example TTC Hybrid Buses, or the linear motor used on the Scarborough RT.
Metrolinx will also lessen the chances of delay - by purchasing/installing technology that is used all over the world!
  • Vote 14
  • Downvote 2
Promised money for local transit agencies. No longer promised.
The previous "The Big Move" had promised many millions of dollars to local transit agencies. Now, up to $1.3 Billion go to parking garages! Seems like Metrolinx is only interested in having its passengers drive the first or last km to/from their GO Stations/Bus Terminals. Why is this the case as there's a stronger case toward using those funds to fund local transit?
  • Vote 11
  • Downvote 0
Park Lawn Station
Given the huge condo population at Lakeshore and Park Lawn, a GO station at Park Lawn would be profitable
  • Vote 12
  • Downvote 3
Express Tains
Thanks to urban sprawl/pricey GTA housing, many of us are faced with lengthy commutes. What are the plans (if any) to introduce more express trains in order to get people to and from work at a faster pace?
  • Vote 11
  • Downvote 2
When will Presto funds loaded online be immediately accessible?
Totally unacceptable that we have to wait up to 24 hours to access funds.
  • Vote 12
  • Downvote 3

Last edited:
Ah hah, so Metrolinx has picked their own top ten. Interesting that they would take out the electrification question. Meanwhile, here is the real top ten according to popularity(votes). Thanks for the info @allendale25.
*the number of votes has not changed, so no new votes

I don't understand the point you're making here (apologies) so maybe you could clarify? What's the difference between the top 10 I posted and "the real top ten". The list I provided was also sorted by popularity.

Also, it's my understanding from looking at the site that Metrolinx didn't pick the questions. People entered them and then others voted on them, and I think (but stand to be corrected) they told people in advance how the questions would be picked.

I do acknowledge TOareaFan's concern. Not saying I agree or disagree with it but it is a valid debate point. Guess we'll see if they do this again and use a different format.

Interesting question for Metrolinx, as Ontario Northland is outside Metrolinx's mandate.
Well, an easy one for them to answer! ("We do not know!")

The #1 question was voted #1 thanks to a 'campaign' from the folk in St Lawrence whose houses are going to much closer to the new track between Cherry and Yomge. Not sure I would actually want a noise wall to look at either but ....

I don't understand the point you're making here (apologies) so maybe you could clarify? What's the difference between the top 10 I posted and "the real top ten". The list I provided was also sorted by popularity.

Also, it's my understanding from looking at the site that Metrolinx didn't pick the questions. People entered them and then others voted on them, and I think (but stand to be corrected) they told people in advance how the questions would be picked.

I do acknowledge TOareaFan's concern. Not saying I agree or disagree with it but it is a valid debate point. Guess we'll see if they do this again and use a different format.
Perhaps I could have made myself more clear. The point that I wanted to get across was the list you included did not have the electrification question, which is question number 6 when sorted by popularity.

Last edited:
Perhaps I could have made myself more clear. The point that I wanted to get across was the list you included did not have the electrification question, which is question number 6 when sorted by popularity.

Oh sorry about that. Must have been a copying and pasting mistake.

Sorry that this is being brought up again, but this is what happens when people don't post screenshots of the tweets they post.

upload_2017-12-13_16-2-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-13_16-2-44.png
    upload_2017-12-13_16-2-44.png
    80 KB · Views: 511
Sorry that this is being brought up again, but this is what happens when people don't post screenshots of the tweets they post.

View attachment 130138
When I click on the link it takes me right to the tweet.....so there may be something amiss at your end?

When I post screenshots of teeets, people complain that the can’t click on a link....when I post a link people complain there is no screenshot.

All I know is that this never happens on the only other board I am active on ( big soccer.com) because when you post a link to s tweet it automatically displays as a complete recreation of the tweet.

When I click on the link it takes me right to the tweet.....so there may be something amiss at your end?

"This Tweet has been deleted."

When I post screenshots of tweets, people complain that they can’t click on a link....when I post a link people complain there is no screenshot.

Can't always please everybody, though from my experience I haven't gotten any complaints for only posting a screenshot. However when the tweet contains a link to an article or something, I include that in my post along with the screenshot.

All I know is that this never happens on the only other board I am active on ( big soccer.com) because when you post a link to s tweet it automatically displays as a complete recreation of the tweet.

The inability to embed tweets in the forums has been frustrating for me too, and is something that I hope will be addressed when UT relaunches on their new site.

"This Tweet has been deleted."

Tried it again on my phone and it went right to the tweet.

Essentially the answer given to one of the top questions (can we get s breakdown of where our fares go) was “it pays part of the cost of operating the system”

Attachments

• 2C3661D4-F93E-41A4-9535-2FB664A74A3F.png
    2C3661D4-F93E-41A4-9535-2FB664A74A3F.png
    777.8 KB · Views: 233
Q: “Can we get a breakdown of where our fare dollars go?“ Answer from Metrolinx CFO Robert Siddall: “Your fare dollars go directly to support the operations of transit in this region...they cover just a portion of our operating expenses.”

I take issue with the implication of that answer as per "just a portion"...the inclusion of "just" infers it's a small fraction. Unless GO's operating model has changed radically in the last couple of years unbeknownst to myself and others, the majority of OE is returned through the fare box.

It's Capital Investment that doesn't.

[...]
North America

Canada Toronto, Hamilton and area (GO Transit) 78.2% Distance based C$4.68+ 2013[56]
[...]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farebox_recovery_ratio

Back