News   Jul 16, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 500     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 621     2 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

Yeah, but according to that article Metrolinx is the entity that's stalling now.

"Bombardier says ... that a test car has been ready since October 2016 but Metrolinx refuses to have it delivered."

Bombardier was late (though they also accuse Metrolinx of changing specs several times). Metrolinx is making it later. That's reason enough for a judge to get involved.

I'd like to see proof of that and hear the full story. I somehow doubt that metrolinx just decided not to take a car for absolutely no reason while the contract has yet to be cancelled.

I'd like to see proof of that and hear the full story. I somehow doubt that metrolinx just decided not to take a car for absolutely no reason while the contract has yet to be cancelled.
Yeah, there's a number of claims from both sides that need the facts to stand in the light of day. The most curious is the delivery of the prototype...

I wonder if some fool in Metrolinx saw an opportunity to get out of the contract, and not be stuck with all the extra Sheppard East and SRT cars.

I have a hard time thinking that anyone else would have cars ready for Eglinton and Finch West in time.

Agreed, although I'm not sure where Metrolinx would accept the delivery. Despite Bombardiers delays, Conlins Yard isn't ready for them (and never will be).

I wonder if some fool in Metrolinx saw an opportunity to get out of the contract, and not be stuck with all the extra Sheppard East and SRT cars.

Maybe. I'm doubtful it'll work but I suppose it'll only be a couple million in legal fees to try.

Last edited:
I wonder if some fool in Metrolinx saw an opportunity to get out of the contract
Accepting the prototype may have committed Metrolinx to the entire contract, and there was reason to think ML had bitten off more than they could chew. It's at the point of "he says, she says". Going to be an interesting case!

Scenario above furthered below:

Megaton327 said:
Agreed, although I'm not sure where Metrolinx would accept the delivery

I have a hard time thinking that anyone else would have cars ready for Eglinton and Finch West in time.
Based on the number of cars for both lines, you can have 2 different suppliers and can be done by due date.

The same goes for Mississauga and Hamilton.

If an order was place in 2018, first car would show up in 2020, depending when order was place.

I think the problem is Metrolink decided they wanted to go on the cheap and piggy back on the TTC order by taking over what would have been the Transit city lines. However because City council and the gong show it has become with public transit dragged their feet so long they decided to change tah plans on how things were being built. I really think Metrolinks is incredibly stupid in this case they have no experience when it comes to building or ordering equipment for a project of this type and this just shows it. Ther previous experience is only because of GO transit which has had a relationship with Bombardier before Metrolinx was even thought of.

I presume some lawyer will remind Minister Del Duca not to repeat this in court:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/bombardier-court-injunction-1.3976771?utm_content=buffera4a12&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer said:
"It has been clear for months that Bombardier has failed to meet its obligations as it relates to other critical transit projects,"

This case will be decided, as all contract law is, on the actions of the parties as it relates to this contract and its terms/conditions. Whether or not Bombardier has or has not met their obligations on other projects/contracts (critical or not) is, at best, irrelevant and, at worst, revealing of some motivation for ML to get out of this deal.

Doubt it. How in the world would they get a new LRV order delivered by September 2021, for the opening of Finch and Eglinton Lines?

Far as I know, Siemens is backlog with 400 plus cars and be very surprise they could bid on the order.

You have Alstom, Stadler, CAF, CRRA, Soka (T17), Kawasaki and Hyundai Rotem who can bid as well others.
Kawasaki would be nice.
There's the matter of the contract and the court's ruling on the basis of preliminaries to the cancellation clause, let alone the clause itself.

Let's keep Trump out of this...(and on that note, the future of the Millhaven plant is still questionable with Trumpist policies...that subject will certainly come up again at some point soon)
No said anything about him. Just cancel the order and move on.

Is the vehicle that ML isn't accepting the vehicle that was shipped to Kingston, or a new one?

Does anyone know if the Kingston vehicle has been running on the test track ?

My theory would be that the rejected vehicle doesn't meet some QC requirement, and that's what the dispute is about.

If it doesn't even run ......

- Paul

Is the vehicle that ML isn't accepting the vehicle that was shipped to Kingston, or a new one?

Does anyone know if the Kingston vehicle has been running on the test track ?

My theory would be that the rejected vehicle doesn't meet some QC requirement, and that's what the dispute is about.

If it doesn't even run ......

- Paul
that is the thing...we are all guessing.......only the contract can determine the truth....and it seems the parties to that contract can't agree...that is why we have courts.

Back