News   Jul 15, 2024
 517     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 678     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 589     0 

Metrolinx: Bombardier Flexity Freedom & Alstom Citadis Spirit LRVs

If they automate the surface light rail vehicles, would like to see platform screen doors. IF they will would work in the cold weather.

i dont think there would be any space on the surface stops to add in doors. theyre at least 1ft deep.

They don't have to be 'doors' per-se. There are also barriers, gates and screens.

understood, but as you can see from the video above the mechanism itself is rather bulky even for a heavy rail platform. I dont think on the at grade stops there will be enough space
to accommodate that and still maintain AODA clearances. Then again I dont really see a point in having doors on the outside because people can always just walk around it.......

...or ropes.

I think that's a strong example of what NOT to do for a design; the train door parked itself directly behind one of the station ceiling supports.

The width of the gap is great but we're going to need better placement of doors/supports than achieved there within the subway to keep dwell times low.

I think that's a strong example of what NOT to do for a design; the train door parked itself directly behind one of the station ceiling supports.

The width of the gap is great but we're going to need better placement of doors/supports than achieved there within the subway to keep dwell times low.

With ATO in the underground sections and autonomous vehicle control on the surface sections, the computers would be able to position the vehicles more properly. (Think automatic versus manual elevators.)

Here's a more likely solution:
1548366614885.png
Hokachung - Own work

MTR Kwai Hing Station Platform 2

I've seen reference to versions that can be reconfigured on short notice to align with different door spacing. (Edit: Part of that is in having a wider platform aperture than the doors on the train)

Last edited:
Nice find! That would resolve the "we need ventilation upgrades before we can install platform doors" argument in the TTC subway.
Yeah, the *bulk* of examples I'm finding on-line aren't the "full" 'hermetic' doors some are presuming. Most are fully functional in terms of safety, and flexibility in repositioning the 'gates', one example which I don't have reference for right now is for *three types of rolling stock* with differing door spacing and the number of doors per carriage!

I'll post reference when I find it again.

With ATO in the underground sections and autonomous vehicle control on the surface sections, the computers would be able to position the vehicles more properly. (Think automatic versus manual elevators.)

Yeah, it would work alright for TTC.

The exact implementation in that video is terrible.

Will there be an convoy of trucks Heading to Toronto From Kingston to Meet Feb 1 delivery Date for 6 (3) cars???

Earlier this month, Swiss Federal Railways opted to stop taking new trains from the company until it fixes the ones already in service.
Bombardier is also facing a Friday deadline for delivery of the first six of 76 vehicles for Toronto’s Crosstown Eglinton light rail line, with two cars already at a Metrolinx site in the city and a third en route, according to the company.
Companies in this story: (TSX:BBD.B)

Back