News   Jun 07, 2024
 2.6K     0 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 4.9K     8 
News   Jun 07, 2024
 3.5K     3 

Metrolinx $55 Billion Plan

Public meetings announced.

Metrolinx has announced a set of public meetings for later this month.

Oct 20, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Richmond Hill – Premiere Convention Centre
Open House: 5:00- 7:00 p.m.
Public Meeting: 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.

Oct 21, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Mississauga
International Centre, Aviation Ballroom–Hall 5

Oct 22, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Toronto – Metro Convention Centre, North Building

Oct 27, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Toronto – Downsview Park, 40 Carl Hall Road

Oct 28, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Whitby – Heydenshore Pavilion

Oct 29, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Oakville – Halton Regional Center, Gymnasium

Oct 30, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Hamilton – Hamilton Convention Centre, Webster Room

Registration forms are at http://www.metrolinx.com/en/event.aspx . Unfortunately, they've gone with an absolutely bizarre approach of entering registration data into a PDF which generates an XML file that you then email to Metrolinx. Truly, truly awful.

Oct 21, 2008 - 5:00 PM
Mississauga
International Centre, Aviation Ballroom–Hall 5

Who's boneheaded idea was it to have the Mississauga open house at the International Centre? Is it targeted at Maltonites or something? What about people who don't have a car? How are they supposed to get there? I have a car and I don't want to drive out there. The open house should have been in the MCC. Period. Either at City Hall or at the LAC. This, to me, reeks of not wanting Mississaugans input. Big surprise.

Who's boneheaded idea was it to have the Mississauga open house at the International Centre? Is it targeted at Maltonites or something? What about people who don't have a car? How are they supposed to get there? I have a car and I don't want to drive out there. The open house should have been in the MCC. Period. Either at City Hall or at the LAC. This, to me, reeks of not wanting Mississaugans input. Big surprise.

Well, as I was reminded when I complained that Brampton had no representation on Metrolinx, this is a Peel meeting not a Mississauga meeting.....so having it in North Mississauga seems to make sense......since there are not a lot of large meeting spaces in north central mississauga....the international centre in the North East is probably all they could do.

If you look, you'll notice there is one meeting scheduled for each Region, and two for Toronto (similiar to how there is one representative for each Region, and 4 for Toronto).

The Region of Peel is composed of Caledon, Brampton, and Mississauga. I'd think Mississauga City Centre isn't particularly convenient for them.

Well, as I was reminded when I complained that Brampton had no representation on Metrolinx, this is a Peel meeting not a Mississauga meeting.....so having it in North Mississauga seems to make sense......since there are not a lot of large meeting spaces in north central mississauga....the international centre in the North East is probably all they could do.

Transitwise, people from Brampton would probably have better access to Square One than to Malton.

That said, this meeting will pretty much ignore anyone who's actually prone to take transit. No one in east, west, central, north, south Mississauga will actually trek all the way out to Malton for this meeting.

If you look, you'll notice there is one meeting scheduled for each Region, and two for Toronto (similiar to how there is one representative for each Region, and 4 for Toronto).

The Region of Peel is composed of Caledon, Brampton, and Mississauga. I'd think Mississauga City Centre isn't particularly convenient for them.

All the more reason for Mississauga to not be part of Peel anymore. Things like this happen all too frequently. But that is a whole different topic.

Either way, MCC is a lot easier for people in all of Peel to get to than Malton is.
Everything about International Centre was built for cars. The seas of parking all around it. The lack of good transportation around in the area. Pretty pathetic.

Transitwise, people from Brampton would probably have better access to Square One than to Malton.

That said, this meeting will pretty much ignore anyone who's actually prone to take transit. No one in east, west, central, north, south Mississauga will actually trek all the way out to Malton for this meeting.

Not really.....the GO Trains (and the buses we have that replace the trains for all but a few hours a day) go to the Malton GO train station which is adjacent to the international centre.

All the more reason for Mississauga to not be part of Peel anymore. Things like this happen all too frequently. But that is a whole different topic.

Either way, MCC is a lot easier for people in all of Peel to get to than Malton is.
Everything about International Centre was built for cars. The seas of parking all around it. The lack of good transportation around in the area. Pretty pathetic.

It is pathetic that there is a pretty major trade/convention/concert facility across the street from the busiest airport in the land and adjacent to a train station that, for the most part of most days, has no rail service.

I do agree....that is pathetic!!!

As for Mississauga not being part of Peel....is your rationale that since Mississauga does not get this meeting in their city centre they should leave Peel? That is pretty petulant and childish.....no?

What other reasons are there?

I have only heard one reason that the makes sense and it goes like this...."now that Mississauga is largely built, and the regional roads that needed tax dollars from Brampton and Caledon are built right up to the Mississauga/Brampton border it follows that any further expansion of these roads will be in Brampton and Caledon......while it made sense for Mississauga to accept aid from Brampton and Caledon while the southern portion of Peel was built, it clearly does not make sense for Mississaugans to support any further expansion of infrastructure outside of Mississauga."

If there are other reasons for Mississauga leaving Peel, I have not heard them.

Modelling Data Release

Metrolinx has released several backgrounders to accompany the draft RTP.

Of note is the modeling methodology data which shows the projected peak period ridership and development potential of each line.

Enjoy!

Not really.....the GO Trains (and the buses we have that replace the trains for all but a few hours a day) go to the Malton GO train station which is adjacent to the international centre.

The open house is scheduled from 5-7pm. So basically anyone who wants to go has to be someone who lives on the Georgetown line and commutes to Toronto every day and they have to go on their way home from work, i.e. no time to eat dinner.

What awful planning. Malton is the only Mississauga station on that line. Just so, so bad.

Metrolinx has released several backgrounders to accompany the draft RTP.

Of note is the modeling methodology data which shows the projected peak period ridership and development potential of each line.

Enjoy!
Interesting. Projected annual ridership of a few of the lines:

Yonge-University-Spadina: 211.6 million
Bloor-Danforth: 144.6
Downtown Core subway: 138.4

Lakeshore West express rail: 86.6
Lakeshore East express rail: 56.4
Richmond Hill express rail: 51.3

Eglinton LRT: 59.0
Hurontario LRT: 53.9
Don Mills: 39.0

So of the new lines the Downtown Core line will get the highest ridership by far despite its short length, almost matching the Bloor-Danforth line. It's well over double the projected ridership of the much longer Eglinton line. The Downtown Core line should be getting built first, not last.

Interesting. Projected annual ridership of a few of the lines:

Yonge-University-Spadina: 211.6 million
Bloor-Danforth: 144.6
Downtown Core subway: 138.4

Lakeshore West express rail: 86.6
Lakeshore East express rail: 56.4
Richmond Hill express rail: 51.3

Eglinton LRT: 59.0
Hurontario LRT: 53.9
Don Mills: 39.0

Agreed that the DRL needs to be put at the start of the line.

Also note they only expect that Stouffville will only get 4.5 million riders a year with "regional rail", while Bolton, yes, Bolton, will get 8.3 million. And Richmond Hill 51.3 million? Where are they pulling the figures out of? Markham's light years ahead of Caledon and Vaughan in attempting to urbanize its core areas, even though it's far from perfect (it should be the "express rail" line, not RH). Richmond Hill will not attract riders like Stouffville will, partly because you're not going to get many riders unless you build ridiculously elaborate stations at Don Mills and Bond and Eglinton and Wynford to get people off TTC buses there, not to mention full fare integration, as you're not going to get much walk-up traffic unless you pulverize the Don Mills and York Mills neighbourhoods to make them ToD.

Back