399     0 
News   Jul 22, 2024
 448     0 

Mel's revenge: City service cuts stupid, Lastman says

ShonTron

Member Bio
Reaction score
He's baaaack!

(And tell me why Dalton is at a two-bit furniture store opening?)

City service cuts 'completely stupid': Lastman

Former mayor has a few ideas to fix the city's fiscal crisis, starting with councillors' salaries
Aug 14, 2007 04:30 AM
Kerry Gillespie
Queen's Park Bureau

KITCHENER–Toronto councillors are making such a mess of the city's budget, former mayor Mel Lastman says people are stopping him in the streets begging him to come back.

"They're making the biggest hero in the world out of me. Please stop. I'm no hero.

"Everybody tells me I have to run again. I don't want to run again. I'm really happy," Lastman, 74, said in an interview yesterday after sharing the stage with Premier Dalton McGuinty at the grand opening of a Bad Boy Furniture and Appliances store in Kitchener.

But the man who led North York for 25 years and then Toronto for another six, until his retirement in 2003, does have some ideas to save the city money.

The first stop: City Hall.

The 9 per cent salary increase councillors recently voted themselves has got to go, as does the $40 million overhaul of Nathan Phillips Square. Councillors' annual office budgets also need to be reduced.

"If you don't bleed yourself, how can you ask the people of Toronto to bleed?" Lastman said.

Once councillors have made some cuts they'll feel personally, then they can look at bigger ticket savings, he said.

On the top of that list is staff overtime, particularly police waiting to testify in court.

"Cops should not have to go to court. That is a fortune in overtime," he said.

Toronto should use a system used in other jurisdictions where police representatives testify in court instead of the officers, he said.

"I'd get that legislation put through quickly. The province and federal government are most receptive to helping now because they see what's going on," he said.

Toronto's fiscal crisis hit home last Friday when city officials revealed a cost containment strategy, which trims $34 million from the city's operating budget this year and $83 million next year.

The cuts fall far short of the city's projected $575 million budget deficit next year.

Miller, who has repeatedly said he wasn't elected to cut city services, called the cuts "a diminution of the quality of life in Toronto."

But councillors have to go much further to deal with the budget crisis, Lastman said.

They have to look at contracting out services and cutting staff. Buses on nearly empty routes need to be pulled off the road. Instead of buying new garbage bins for Toronto's planned garbage-fee system, council should just charge a per-bag fee, he said.

"They have to cut staff. They can't continue this way. Their budget has gone up by $1.5 billion since I left," he said. "Politicians have got to learn ... to say: `We can't afford it.' " There's one service cut Lastman isn't willing to put up with, and that's city snow clearing at the end of driveways.

Lastman still remembers with pride that as the mayor of North York he was known as the man who had the snow cleared before it fell.

"The city is a great city and they've got to keep it great and you can't keep it great by telling seniors to shovel windrows that you've put at the end of their driveway," he said.

"You can't cut necessary services. That's stupid, completely stupid with four O's," Lastman said.

He recognizes that several of his ideas, contracting out services and cutting staff being at the top of the list, wouldn't sit well with city unions.

"You try to work with them but sometimes it's impossible," he said.

Also, Toronto property taxpayers are paying hundreds of millions for provincial social services like welfare, drug costs for the disabled and housing for the poor. The city's budget can never truly be fixed until that's dealt with, Lastman said.

Lastman, dressed in his trademark flashy style, with white shoes and slacks, a hot pink shirt and checkered jacket, was under the familiar glare of lights and TV cameras yesterday while opening a Bad Boy store. And though the local MPP, during his introduction, elevated him to "Toronto's premier," Lastman said he has no intention of returning.

"I get wound up and that's a problem for me. I'm not fit to live with anymore and I've been living a wonderful life (since retiring in 2003)," he said. "I love my wife, I've got to know her all over again, she's got the greatest personality, the greatest sense of humour and I have a laugh every day."

Miller, who has repeatedly said he wasn't elected to cut city services, called the cuts "a diminution of the quality of life in Toronto."
Maybe not, but I don't think he was elected to double taxes either. At least I don't remember that being part of his election campaign. If it had been I don't think he'd be mayor today.

Lastman showing up in the news, and hailed as a real leader, is so stupid, it is not funny. Quick! Someone remind us that Lastman's irresponsible tax freeze helped put us in this mess (along with federal transfer and social cuts and provincial downloading and cuts)!

The two freebee rags has Hazel going on about how transit is "rosy" because of some long-planned new terminal for MT, the 24 hours saying that the TTC is getting a 'cash injection' for a new terminal, though it won't do anything for the TTC, and on the same page, Lastman the hero.

"Cops should not have to go to court. That is a fortune in overtime," he said.

Perhaps you could do something about their pay, but cops shouldn't have to go to court?! How can people actually want Lastman back?

^
rford.jpg

Lastman showing up in the news, and hailed as a real leader, is so stupid, it is not funny. Quick! Someone remind us that Lastman's irresponsible tax freeze helped put us in this mess (along with federal transfer and social cuts and provincial downloading and cuts)!

The two freebee rags has Hazel going on about how transit is "rosy" because of some long-planned new terminal for MT, the 24 hours saying that the TTC is getting a 'cash injection' for a new terminal, though it won't do anything for the TTC, and on the same page, Lastman the hero.

Nice one. Anyone know just how many years Lastman froze taxes?

As for your comment:

I've gotten to the point with all media --that includes major papers and TV. I don't get my news from there anymore. These "reporters" take the government line and crap it directly onto paper and I'm just sick-to-death of it.

Such flawed, often contemptuous reporting.

That mention of McCallion. Mississauga's had it easy (as people in here have mentioned repeatedly in the past). Skating free and sweet on development fees and their big reserve fund.

But the next mayor?

Then again, I think I know how Mississauga will handle that....

Also, Toronto property taxpayers are paying hundreds of millions for provincial social services like welfare, drug costs for the disabled and housing for the poor. The city's budget can never truly be fixed until that's dealt with, Lastman said.

This upsets me every time I'm reminded of it. How can this be happening? Is there a way for the city to sue the province for all the stolen cash?

Mel would most certainly NOT have won had he run again (my my... how quickly memories of computer-kickbacks and rigged competitions fade with the passage of time). The proof, if any is really needed, is that a FAR more capable, eloquent, and competant right-wing candidate (who has since moved on to contest the REAL seat of power in Toronto shortly) did not best Miller subsequent to Mel's getting a boot to the ass. Similarly, the supposed Great Right Hope failed miserably in the last campaign. I, personally, never saw her as such, but the Sun (and hence, the 24 hrs) and the core readers of the same certainly did - and they, by far, are the most likely to believe in Lastman's spangled legacy. What the Star is doing here, I'm not sure... although it can be pretty trashy when it sets it's mind to be so, as well.

Ah, the halcyon days of Mayor Mel. Would that it were so...

he said that in front of dalton? while dalton was at the grand opening of one of his stores?

One thing you got to hand to Lastman is that he's a clown, he knows it and at least he doesn't take himself too seriously. Half of city council is equally clownish but they take themselves seriously and hence just come off as dicks (stand up Mr. Vaughn, Mr. Moscoe, Mr. Ford etc.).

I wonder that too, Foppy (do you mind if I call you that?). I bet a lot of it is resentment over his campaign to rein in Clubland.

Compared to Ford, Mammolitti, Minnan-Wong, Moscoe or Stintz, I don't know why one would call Vaughan a clown.

Back