371     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 216     0 

McCaul Street 1920's-50's

I don't think the above outline will recover from this
muralmccaul.jpg

oh YUCK--that's one fugly mural

If its OCAD that did that... >_>

The other one is still visible, but a part of it is now obstructed by the Village by the Grange.

Heres a Google Map Image =)

2010-05-17_225007.png

A Peter Witt body was integrated into the Village by the Grange before, but it was replaced by a glass shyt and it now houses... YOU GUESSED IT! OCAD! DUMB IDEA IMHO.

Last edited:
That mural is by Brazilian street artist Nunca, hired by 52 McCaul, an experimental gallery that opened in the building.

I work on McCaul and see it several times a day. I really like it. It fits in with the colourful and unusual architecture of OCAD and AGO.

There is a name for the image left behind when a building is removed ( the same name as when people read erased text on re-used manuscripts ), but I can't remember / find it on Wikipedia. Anyone?

Sam, from Daily Dose of Imagery, posted a picture of this same wall back in 2004: http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/archives/photos_textures/040803_766.shtml and here's my example from 2005, from Shuter and Mutal street ( on the east side of #70 before the new building on the north-west corner was built ):

twice-a-house.jpg

The front of the building is yellow-ish brick, so I'm not sure where the red brick comes from...

Last edited:
My first "real" job was at Village by the Grange in the summer of 1985 as a picture framer. I was in grade 8 and a friend of my parents owned an art gallery and a framing shop there. There was quite a selection of shops and restaurants. I remember T.J. Applebees partially contained in the remains of the Witt streetcar by the loop, the aforementioned Ginsberg and Wong as well as Young Lok chinese restaurant and an italian find dining place. There was the It Store and a number of higher end shops. I was surprised when it was all converted to residences and the courtyards closed off to the public.

Back