222     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 372     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 217     0 

McCaul Street 1920's-50's

amazing picutures, i really like the horse infront of the synagoge

dont mean to hijack the post, but heres one looking north from queen-ish, 2008

you can still see the outline of the small workers cottage on the side of the 20's warehouse, on the west side of the street

2573800055_bca0eb6790_o-1.jpg

mccaul3.jpg

thedeepend: John Catto and I once posed ( a particularly appropriate word in his case ) for a ... ahem ... photo shoot intended for the OCA magazine that ( thankfully! ) didn't get printed.

Is he still alive, I wonder?

thedeepend: John Catto and I once posed ( a particularly appropriate word in his case ) for a ... ahem ... photo shoot intended for the OCA magazine that ( thankfully! ) didn't get printed.

Is he still alive, I wonder?

alive and well: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=62000841

he lives in London, looks very different of course! still looks pretty good though. no trace of androgyny left...
there are a few photos of the Diodes playing a reunion gig at TLS from last summer on his myspace page--its quite strange to see them all again 30 years on!

jc07.jpg

thedeepend: Art school androgeny never suited John Catto anyway - getting him to disrobe for our photo shoot was like pulling teeth. Still, it's nice to see from the photo that he's every inch the poseur he was at 20.

Interesting about the synagogue - I had no idea there was one on McCaul. Village by the Grange (the entire block btw. Dundas, St. Patrick, Queen and McCaul - including The Artisan and now 9T6 must be one of the densest residential areas in the entire city.

Yeah McCaul was heavily Jewish in those days.

Shame that beautiful synagogue was demolished. Downtown Toronto lost so many lovely churches and other places of worship in modern history.

Shame that beautiful synagogue was demolished. Downtown Toronto lost so many lovely churches and other places of worship in modern history.

i completely agree. the loss of that particular synagogue is quite tragic. we have a fair number of lovely large old churches left, but no significant synagogues in the downtown. i guess the one on St. Andrew in Kensington Market is the most important one left?

Back when I lived on Beverley, I found two former synagogues on Cecil that are still standing, but operating under different uses. In any case, the first is found on the north side of Cecil at Spadina, and the second is found at the east end of Cecil at Henry.

Back