News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 467     0 

McCallion rejects bike lane plea

Mississauga is a car centered city, but that has to change. As a new commuter and cyclist, I will make sure the voice of cyclists is heard.

The status quo is outdated, lacks vision and foresight. If you build it they will come. We need dedicated bike lanes in the city as a means of transportation.

I also have heard of a new petition regarding bike lanes that might be started.

Kind of reviving a dead thread but none-the-less...
I think everyone agrees that the city should be working towards more "commuter" bike lanes than the typical recreational ones that they're doing just fine out. There has been some decent progress made with the new Confederation Pkwy extension including them, but that's really just a drop in the bucket.

My personal plan would be to not just make a "lane" but more of a dedicated bike path that was part of the road, but had a curb separating it from the road, and would be the width of a sidewalk (in order to all for easier winter clearing). There are some places where this could easily be added (most of Bunhamthorpe, Lakeshore outside of Clarkson and Port Credit, most of Dundas) which I think would add a lot of value for the overall network. Whether or not there is the political will is an entirely differnet story.

PS. If you're passinoate about cycling you might consider getting involved with the Mississauga Cycling Advisory Committee (the name is something like that), which advises council on cycling related issues. I volunteer with them a few years ago, and there are always open seats available on their committee.

IMO, Glen Erin is also an essential corridor for bike lanes... it connects Meadowvale and doesn't have an interchange with any highways. Britanna is probably a good idea too of considering how many professionial cyclists use it.

Bristol already has bike lanes so they should definitely be expanded, perhaps along Thomas as well. And add new bike lanes to Creditview to fill in the huge gap between Glen Erin and McLaughlin. Both Creditview and McLaughlin still have two-lane sections so it would be a good oppurtunity to add bike lanes.

I would love to see the bike lanes separated from the road with a curb like they do in Montreal. It would be awesome for cyclists: wouldn't get in the way of pedestrians on the sidewalks, and wouldn't get in the way of the cars on the roads.

Confederation between Dundas and Eglinton will see bike lanes this year.

It's a small step and in the right direction.

I believe Burnhamthorpe is to get lanes when it gets widen to seven lanes east of Hurontario starting in 2009.

The city is doing a lot of rethinking about bikes and transit these days.

Mississuaga at least has bikelanes, I doubt Brampton has ever such a thing.

Louroz

Toronto looks down on Mississauga. Mississauga looks down on Brampton. Who does Brampton look down on? Caledon?

Pettiness aside, why turn this down outright? While removing a lane of traffic would be unpopular, why not come up with some other solution or a compromise? Mayor Hazel is showing a little short sightedness here.

Removing a lane would be unpopular, but there's no reason it can't be done. A strong mayor would do it for roads that are way too big as it stands now, such as Hurontario.

Wide roads aren't very friendly to cyclists. Making a left turn at an intersection is often impossible. So, one has to resort to the pedestrian route of making two crossings which is time consuming. The generally longer distances are discouraging. At least the new lanes have the potential to ease the feeling of alienation that cyclist may face in a car focused environment.

Hi all,

if your wondering how this thread was revived; i was doing some searches online and that's how I came across this thread.

Anyhow, I have a real good solution. Most of mississauga's roads and sidewalks are separated by a few feet of concrete (usually interlocking brick) and those are used to collect snow during the winter time.

Anyhow, those could be removed and converted into bike lanes. Lets face it, they are only used to collect snow for about 30 days of the year (2008 was an exception).

removing those sections along with shortening the width of the centre lane and sidewalks a bit, would provide enough room. I don't know why the city doesn't act. All they have to do is convert one street per year.

March 18th, is the next MCAC meeting and I plan on attending. :)

Hi all,

if your wondering how this thread was revived; i was doing some searches online and that's how I came across this thread.

Anyhow, I have a real good solution. Most of mississauga's roads and sidewalks are separated by a few feet of concrete (usually interlocking brick) and those are used to collect snow during the winter time.

Anyhow, those could be removed and converted into bike lanes. Lets face it, they are only used to collect snow for about 30 days of the year (2008 was an exception).

removing those sections along with shortening the width of the centre lane and sidewalks a bit, would provide enough room. I don't know why the city doesn't act. All they have to do is convert one street per year.

March 18th, is the next MCAC meeting and I plan on attending. :)

Good luck trying to get the city to do what you want to do.

It taken me 7 years trying to get the the city to understand where transit is to be in the City.

Last month event at the LAC drove home the point 100% for transit and bikes.

The only problem where the city going to come up with the funds to do the bike lanes when the City cannot come up with funding for Transit these days.

MT 2008 budget is supposed to eat up 68% of Transportation and Work budget as well 22% of the city budget. We are still going to get close doors service once the 15 additional buses arrive this fall as well the extra 30,000 service hours.

You and MCAC need to set a goal where the city needs to be in 5-10-15 years for bikes lanes.

I keep saying MT needs to set a goal of 35% of the city population on transit over the next 5-10 years and to say to the City this is what it going to cost to do this.

Transit see only 11% at best for the current population. To increase the current ridership 25% which will only see 15% city wide in 5 years as plan while see more close doors and ppl staying in their cars even with higher fuel cost.

If the city grows by 10,000 new residents, the City goal should be to get 60% of them using transit from day one. That is over 10% increase of transit ridership yearly not including other cities residents using MT.

Good luck trying to get the city to do what you want to do.

It taken me 7 years trying to get the the city to understand where transit is to be in the City.

Last month event at the LAC drove home the point 100% for transit and bikes.

The only problem where the city going to come up with the funds to do the bike lanes when the City cannot come up with funding for Transit these days.

MT 2008 budget is supposed to eat up 68% of Transportation and Work budget as well 22% of the city budget. We are still going to get close doors service once the 15 additional buses arrive this fall as well the extra 30,000 service hours.

You and MCAC need to set a goal where the city needs to be in 5-10-15 years for bikes lanes.

I keep saying MT needs to set a goal of 35% of the city population on transit over the next 5-10 years and to say to the City this is what it going to cost to do this.

Transit see only 11% at best for the current population. To increase the current ridership 25% which will only see 15% city wide in 5 years as plan while see more close doors and ppl staying in their cars even with higher fuel cost.

If the city grows by 10,000 new residents, the City goal should be to get 60% of them using transit from day one. That is over 10% increase of transit ridership yearly not including other cities residents using MT.

So what exactly is the LAC? Never heard of it before. I understand bike lanes are not a priority, but if we want a city for the future we have to start today.

As for busses... it is difficult to increase ridership because busses are hindered by the cars in front of them. What we needed was a subway system that would have seen better usage, but that doesn't seem to be in the books as long as Hazel is in power.

I ride my bike, but after my bike, i'd take my car. I never consider taking the bus as it takes to long to get from point A to point B. At least in my car when traffic hits, I can hit up a side street or make a u turn if needed. I took the bus system in University a bit because it took me straight from my house to my door. Another problem with the busses is that people do not want to wait in the cold. I'd rather be warm and on my bike than wait in the cold for a bus.

The funds are there... what is the problem is the political will and the current mentality

Back