News   Jul 15, 2024
 287     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

McCallion rejects bike lane plea

Observer Walt wrote:

Iannicca is an idiot if his comments actually were as reported above.

Here is what I reported Councillor Iannicca as saying in my previous message:

Nando Iannicca commented that the demographics of an aging population suggest that many (and he used himself as an example) will trade bicycles for "walking shoes". Demographic trends certainly suggest that "future cycling" will be less cycling.

Observer, I just listened to the tape of yesterday's council meeting. I will summarize Councillor's Iannicca's comments here.

re: bike paths

Councillor Iannicca mentioned Montreal as a city woven with bike paths going as far back as 1979. On "annual spectacle" days, these paths are crowded with 20-30,000 "recreational" cyclists. But the next day --the paths are empty. The paths just aren't used for utilitarian purposes.

Iannicca mentioned practical limitations to utilitarian cycling. He mentioned that in 2003, a bizarre weather year, Mississauga had "30 days of 30 degrees above zero in the summer and 30 days in a row with 30 degrees below in winter all in one calendar year. "Not a great time to be riding a bicycle for utilitarian purposes." he observed.

Councillor Iannicca then offered China as an example of a bicycle culture. He suggested they are this way because "they have to" --bikes are their practical and sometimes only way of getting around. Except of course, walk. They have no other options.

Then he said if Mississauga had a "marginal dollar to spend", on a dedicated bike path or a general path, it's important to remember that we're aging --and for every person who's buying a bike at Gears, there are a hundred older folks (like him) buying walking shoes because it's the fastest growing activity in North America."

Iannicca also said that when the snow falls (and it will) and traffic is backed up and people look out and see the empty dedicated bike paths... he mentioned it'd be a "tough nut to crack".

Hope this clarifies. And having just gone over the tape, yes. I reported Councillor Iannicca's comments accurately.

Muse: thanks. This tends to confirm the generally unfavourable impression of Mr. Iannicca that I already have. So he has been good enough to explain to us that the Canadian weather sometimes gets too hot or too cold or too snowy or whatever. Is this supposed to be an excuse for not moving ahead on bike lanes or bike paths? And what makes him think that all of the older people who he claims are getting into walking might not also be into cycling?

Hey there, Observer Walt, you wrote:

Muse: thanks. This tends to confirm the generally unfavourable impression of Mr. Iannicca that I already have. So he has been good enough to explain to us that the Canadian weather sometimes gets too hot or too cold or too snowy or whatever. Is this supposed to be an excuse for not moving ahead on bike lanes or bike paths? And what makes him think that all of the older people who he claims are getting into walking might not also be into cycling?

OK. Let's deal with each question.

Is this (Canadian weather) supposed to be an excuse for not moving ahead on bike lanes or bike paths?

No, not just Canadian weather but also the demographics (aging population) plus where-best to spend money. In short Iannicca tries for the Best-Bang-for-the-Buck.

He'd rather spend $$$ on multiple-use paths than dedicated bike lanes.

You asked:

And what makes him think that all of the older people who he claims are getting into walking might not also be into cycling?

Oh, I don't think Councillor Iannicca is disputing that some of those older people are "into cycling" (note use of "are" present case).

But with each winter, bikes are put away. Come each new spring, some of those older folks will look at their bikes and realize Cycling Time is over. That it's prudent for them to find an activity they can't fall off of.

That's Nature's Rules, not Iannicca's.

Soccer, hockey, tennis, squash... all these sports will lose people over the next while. Boomers' knees and body parts just can't handle those sports.

That's not to say Boomers won't cycle. But most will do that on a stationary one --older people don't have the balance and reflexes they once had. With stationary bikes you can't fall off.

Better say this up front. I'm not claiming to know what's going on in Councillor Iannicca's head with what I wrote above. Just that I listened well and considered carefully what he said. I've simply offered what I think might be reasons why he took the stand he did.

Hope this helps.

So suburban Mississauga is filling up with the elderly? No need for bike paths.

If I remember correctly, Ottawa has one of the "older" populations of any city in Ontario. It also has a spectacular bike path system.

I really fail to see the usefulness of multi use paths adjacent to the street when the cyclist needs to get off and walk every few hundred fee- meter- metres.

I agree - that is a problem which I see like on Winston Churchill Boulevard's bike path through Meadowvale - all those "cyclists dismount" signs at streets and even driveways. It's clear if anything, there are meant for recreation only.

It's clear if anything, there are meant for recreation only.

Which is a big part of the problem! Biking is not an option as a means of transportation beyond recreation if paths are poorly laid-out and require excessive amounts of time to get from one point to another. This type of construction is done for recreational purposes, and not as a means of getting around. On-street bike lanes ought to be a utility, but the mere mention of them leaves some people cross-eyed.

I should add a caveat to my earlier post. Ottawa has great recreational paths, but as with most other cities, if you want to get somewhere fast you need to use the street.

bizorky you wrote:

So suburban Mississauga is filling up with the elderly? No need for bike paths.

If I remember correctly, Ottawa has one of the "older" populations of any city in Ontario. It also has a spectacular bike path system.

Eek! Whoa. Read what I wrote again:

Then he (Iannicca) said if Mississauga had a "marginal dollar to spend", on a dedicated bike path or a general path, it's important to remember that we're aging --and for every person who's buying a bike at Gears, there are a hundred older folks (like him) buying walking shoes because it's the fastest growing activity in North America."

He never said there wasn't "need" of them. Just that Budget Moneys may be best spent on multi-use trails is all.

Also council said that in new developments/projects, they are seriously looking into incorporating bike trails there.

spmarshall, you wrote:

I agree - that is a problem which I see like on Winston Churchill Boulevard's bike path through Meadowvale - all those "cyclists dismount" signs at streets and even driveways. It's clear if anything, there are meant for recreation only.

I just went back to *sigh* listen to the tape again.

Councillor Mullin stated that she did not agree with Councillor Iannicca's weather comment --using Chicago's bike trails as an example. She also said that at a time when Mississauga is faced with traffic problems, all possible solutions should be looked at.

Councillor Prentice was even more positive on the role of cycling for transportation.

But both Mullin and Prenctice mentioned that when Budget time comes around, the City goes to the public for input as to "priorities". And that historically, public input has resulted into the preference for "recreational" trails.

Either way, council did say they would take the presenters' comments to staff and look at possibilities seriously. I think it was Prentice who said "the time has come". And Mullin who said that Mississauga was seriously behind in the bike path department compared to other cities.

Hope that helps.

Mississauga Folks? Just found this:

THE MISSISSAUGA NEWS
Cyclists petition City Hall for bike lanes

Joseph Chin
Dec 1, 2006
Cycling may be good for your health, but you're risking your life if you ride on Mississauga roads, says a group of local biking enthusiasts.

Armed with a 400-name petition calling on the City of Mississauga to construct more bicycle lanes, spokesperson Jeff Wachman told Council Wednesday that Mississauga isn't bike-friendly.

"Quite frankly, it's dangerous. We take our lives in our hands every day," said Wachman.

The petition requests that the City designate "a one-metre wide path in both directions along the full length" of nine major roads. These include Lakeshore Rd., Dundas St., Burnhamthorpe Rd., Central Pkwy. and Eglinton Ave. going east and west, and Southdown Rd. to Erin Mills Pkwy. to Glen Erin Dr., Winston Churchill Blvd., Mavis Rd. and Cawthra Rd. going north and south.

Wachman said it could be accomplished easily and inexpensively by eliminating one lane on six-lane arteries.

"The city doesn't need these wide boulevards everywhere. They don't work for store owners, they don't work for pedestrians and they don't work for cyclists," he said.

To illustrate his point, Wachman said his group cycled abreast to Council along Burnhamthorpe Rd. during rush hour and did not impede traffic.

A better synchronizing of traffic lights and putting in a two-lane system with a passing lane would be a good start, he said.

"We're not re-inventing the wheel here. It's a simple thing to do."

Council's response to the petition was lukewarm.

McCallion said the City would consider adding new bike lanes only when a road is undergoing reconstruction. She said she rarely sees people commuting to work on bikes.

Ward 8 Councillor Katie Mahoney pointed out proposals to put in bike lanes are usually not well received by the community.

"(Well-known cycling promoter) Phil Green took a beating on Mississauga Rd.," she said.

Ward 9 Councillor Pat Saito said bike lanes were not compatible with on-street parking.

"It's a dangerous situation, (but) we have to find a solution," she said.

Ward 2 Councillor Pat Mullin acknowledged the City has, in the past, favoured recreational trails over bike paths.

"But the time has come to look (at bike lanes) as a priority. We're way behind other cities," said Mullin, who has sat on the Mississauga Cycling Advisory Committee since its inception.

The petition was referred to staff for consideration.

Here's a pic of the group.

Burnhamthorpe is supposed to be tamed through MCC - it would be nice to get bike lanes installed with that project at least - something to start from.

The other problem with recreational trails is that they usually get no winter maintenance. Bike lanes are cleared as are the roads themselves.

I commuted one summer by bike from my old house to my summer practicum with the City of Brampton. I had two choices - use the Etobicoke Creek trail, or use side streets. Mill St was nice and direct with moderate traffic, so I'd use that, and for most of my commute, Brampton's street system was in enough of a grid (it being the older section) that it worked great.

Bike lanes are not necessarily the answer, as long as there are good alternate side streets in a straight grid as desingated alternates. Vancouver is great for this, Toronto does this in sections, but Mississauga and most of Brampton, places like that, you need to use collector and artieral roads with bike lanes for it to work.

In my suburb here in the states, they converted a 1/3 metre wide shoulder into a bike lane, leaving the speed limit at 45 mph... it was laughable.
EDIT: That's about 72 km/h, and the real speed is much greater

Back to this side of the border, though, the reason for having no bike lanes is just a lame excuse. How many drivers would you expect to see if there were no roads? (or if at every intersection you needed to get out and push your car through). Now that i got myself started on the analogy thing, maybe there would be 200-ton tractor trailers barreling along hurontario at 200+ mph...

He never said there wasn't "need" of them. Just that Budget Moneys may be best spent on multi-use trails is all.

While it's nice to spend money on a multi-use recreational trails (and I'm not opposed to this at all), these long and winding trails are somewhat useless if one needs to get to work using a bike. On-street bike lanes are what is required. That might be one reason why the mayor does not see many cyclists using recreational trails for a bike commute. It takes to damn long.

I'm sure if Mississauga did install bike lanes, people would just point out it is just a suburb anyway and say the bike lanes are a waste of money.

...like how suburban Detroit basically eliminated public transportation because it was deemed unnecessary and a waste of money?

I'm sure if Mississauga did install bike lanes, people would just point out it is just a suburb anyway and say the bike lanes are a waste of money.

So now people will just say that it is a car-centred suburb without bike lanes.

Back