News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 880     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 354     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Maybe Mayor Olivia Chow should require the e-mail contact information posted for each head of each department, commission, or services be made available, starting with their own website.

While the TTC website does have a "Compliments, Complaints, and Suggestions" section, there are no e-mail information for the CEO (or Chair). The names of each TTC board member is listed, but not their e-mail addresses. Have to hunt for them elsewhere.

I have the contacts for everyone of those people; lets keep everyone else out of their inbox please. LOL

Apologies for the error.

My point remains as Toronto was considering e-scooters at one point
They still are, are they not? Wasn't there an article about how they expect a report on the topic in the new year?

Can't imagine what there is to report back about it. For all intents and purposes, it's a bike. It's safe as a bike, fast as a bike, dangerous as a bike, nimble as a bike.

They still are, are they not? Wasn't there an article about how they expect a report on the topic in the new year?

Can't imagine what there is to report back about it. For all intents and purposes, it's a bike. It's safe as a bike, fast as a bike, dangerous as a bike, nimble as a bike.

Yes, its still under consideration here.

But I think Richard's point was that if Paris restricting their use, perhaps Toronto will not choose to be permissive.

The point was then made that Paris is only restricting a specific form of e-scooter rentals, from operators similar to 'bikeshare' but more to Hamilton's version where you can leave the bike anywhere as opposed to having to bring it back to a dock.

The ban it should be said, resulting from a referenda on the subject, one in which only 8% of the eligible voters turned out.

That makes it difficult to assess how truly popular/unpopular they were, though we do have usage stats showing that about 400,000 discrete people used e-scooter rental at least once last year in Paris.

The arguments against it were that they were alleged to have contributed to many accidents involving all of pedestrians/cyclists and cars.

That they were being used on sidewalks extensively and those using them often weaved in/around walkers.

That the nominal speed limit on them - 10km/ph was not being widely observed

Finally that the being able to park them anywhere led to extensive obstacle courses on sidewalks.

Last edited:
But I think Richard's point was that if Paris restricting their use, perhaps Toronto will not choose to be permissive.

That was my point exactly.

If a large city such as Paris is restricting their rental, perhaps Toronto will take that into consideration.

Council is meeting today.

The Financial Plan is still being debated, but the affordable housing item passed, with amendments.

I would describe the amendments as friendly.

@HousingNowTO may wish to make note:

1694032504327.png

1694032568038.png

The refugee item (seeking federal aid to cover housing costs) also passed with amendments:

1694032698321.png

1694032731562.png

The Financial Plan has a litany of motions around it, mostly report requests on people's pet ideas to save or raise money.

There are just too many to copy/paste them all here.

Some novel (not necessarily good) ideas, a municipal lottery as an idea, and a per passenger tax on people using Billy Bishop, LOL

This one is worth a copy/paste though:

1694045037178.png

I think some here will have thoughts on this; I won't tag everyone tied to development here, bit of a long list, but I think @ProjectEnd 's thoughts might be of interest, and as this is not normally this type of thread, a tag is offered up.

The item can be found here:

I will report back after dinner on the disposition of this, if no one else has!

Ultimately the Financial Plan passed with a reasonable margin of safety.

Exploring the Lottery, the higher fees for delayed construction and graduated property tax rates (high value properties pay more) all passed; as did the idea of the Billy Bishop fee.

To be clear the above are all 'explore the feasibility of' type requests not implementation.

and a per passenger tax on people using Billy Bishop, LOL
Emphasizing the LOL. I think however this is implemented Ports Toronto, owner/operator of Billy Bishop, is going to find a way to dodge it.
The existing method of payment in lieu of taxes (PILT) is already formed as a per passenger charge to Ports Toronto. It seems like a nightmare for the City of Toronto to squeeze out this quasi-property-tax from provincial and federal organizations in the city, like Canada Post or Ports Toronto.

Frustrating further reading on the topic:
2015 agreement
2022 CoT report

Back