News   May 03, 2024
 264     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 648     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 1.2K     1 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Yes, a war is slightly higher on the federal government's priority list than making sure Oliva doesn't have to raise taxes.

Toronto must, and Toronto will raise taxes.

That's not really in question anymore.

However, Ottawa is allowing people into the country as refugees and then expecting Toronto to pick up the tab.

The Feds usually pay something, eventually, but less than what is required and several months late.

Seems to me, if they are causing the problem, they ought to pay, in full, in real-time. That's not an unfair ask.

Likewise, Its Ottawa that is pushing high levels of population growth in general, the burden of which (transit, parks, sewers, watermains, roads, libraries etc.) falls on lower orders of gov't.

(hospitals, schools etc. as well, but there the burden is provincial)

Once again, I would say, if Ottawa wants Toronto to handle another 1,000,000 residents within the City, and serve as the hub for an extra 2,000,000 or more, then Ottawa should be opening up its wallet to pay for the requisite infrastructure.
It should also be doing that in advance of the need, rather than years later.

Last edited:
Freeland is a clown, she is arguing against the best interests of her own constituents. I have no idea why the Feds and Province continue to bicker while simultaneously dick-slapping the biggest City in the country. Tax revenue from Toronto basically funds a huge portion of everything they do, but they seem to be happy to watch us burn as long as it earns them some brownie points with voters in other geographic areas. Freeland arguing that they gave us 6 billion dollars over 8 years is a complete joke.

Toronto could raise property taxes to be in-line with other 905 communities and they would still have a huge budget shortfall. This issue goes way beyond property taxes. I hope Chow stands really strong here and pushes hard on Dougie and the Feds. Toronto needs to stop being pushed around. She should do whatever she possibly can to put pressure on the other branches of government.

In 1967, Forest Hill Village joined Swansea Village as one of the last two independent villages to be annexed by the City of Toronto. As part of the annexation deal, residents retained the right to have their garbage picked-up from their doorsteps rather than the curb. By 1993, this “butler service” was costing taxpayers $420,000 a year, and once this fact became known, the special garbage pick-up was discontinued due to the public outcry that followed. (From link.) Today, a ward is larger than what Forest Hill or Swansea used to be, but they get less service.

Do you remember the twice a week garbage pick-up? That used to be across the entire amalgamated city. That was reduced to a once a week pick-up service, to save money. City services have gone down, all in the name of saving taxpayer money.

While I don't expect to see twice a week garbage pick-up, I would accept higher taxes, but only if there is an increase in services for us all.

We don't need to provide services for the 905ers, like using the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway for free. Would accept having to pay a toll for if I use the Gardiner Expressway or Don Valley Parkway. If I'm not using it, I don't have to pay. Currently all Toronto residents pay through our property taxes whether you use it or not.

Because a geopolitical struggle - which is very much the purview of the Federal government - should be equated to the unwillingness of lower level governments to do the right thing?

AoD
I find it hypocritical of the Federal government to say that they won't foot the entire bill for the current refugee crisis in Toronto, the Immigration minister said that he felt that lower governments should also share a part of that responsibility but funny enough - doesn't work in reverse. 🤔

Yes, a war is slightly higher on the federal government's priority list than making sure Oliva doesn't have to raise taxes.
The city needs both - tax increase and federal help, especially for a situation they helped creating. As for the war - you can do this only for so long before common people being hammered by the economy start noticing and asking questions about why that money isn't being spent to help them instead.

As for the war - you can do this only for so long before common people being hammered by the economy start noticing and asking questions about why that money isn't being spent to help them instead.
Most rational people would not need to ask why a country in Europe being invaded by Russia is a global concern. They would realize helping them helps you.

Most rational people would not need to ask why a country in Europe being invaded by Russia is a global concern. They would realize helping them helps you.
Loving the double standard - what about Syria (illegally occupied with their oil being stolen), Libya (illegal war), Iraq (still occupied and illegally invaded), Afghanistan, Palestine and all those other countries seeing drones raining down on them or being destabilize? We sure are "selectively" outraged - no wonder the global south grows tired of the west, we're being hypocritical.

At the heart of the matter, it's inevitable that falling standards of living invites scrutiny and questions - I would caution about implying that this behaviour is irrational

Loving the double standard
There isn't one.
what about Syria (illegally occupied with their oil being stolen), Libya (illegal war), Iraq (still occupied and illegally invaded), Afghanistan, Palestine and all those other countries seeing drones raining down on them or being destabilize?
You'll note none of those are in Europe, which I specified, and are not NATO adjacent.
Except for Syria, of which we've sent over a billion dollars of aid.
At the heart of the matter, it's inevitable that falling standards of living invites scrutiny and questions - I would caution about implying that this behaviour is irrational
I'm not merely implying.

If it's anything like Haiti - Syria (still under sanctions) won't see a dime

There isn't one.

You'll note none of those are in Europe, which I specified, and are not NATO adjacent.

I'm not merely implying.
Sorry for derailling the tread, my point still stands - bad policy for the Feds to not invest in its big cities, no wonder our standards of living are falling

I would gladly accept a 25% property tax increase if it will clear the streets, public transit, parks and ravines of crazies, addicts and vagrants. And not with a massive police budget increase, nor with more spending on the homeless industrial complex that makes park occupations viable, but instead through investment in supportive housing spread across the city, not just in downtown east.

I would gladly accept a 25% property tax increase if it will clear the streets, public transit, parks and ravines of crazies, addicts and vagrants. And not with a massive police budget increase, nor with more spending on the homeless industrial complex that makes park occupations viable, but instead through investment in supportive housing spread across the city, not just in downtown east.
I would also be in favour of municipal income taxes, which are widespread in the United States. I realize that is very unlikely to happen, but we rely too much on property taxes.

I would also be in favour of municipal income taxes, which are widespread in the United States. I realize that is very unlikely to happen, but we rely too much on property taxes.

Serious question.

Has anyone ever considered a Destination Marketing Fee or Tourism Tax like they have in Niagara Falls?

Back