News   May 03, 2024
 501     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 318     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 179     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Two things I would love to see Chow do, though both are very big asks.

1. Cancel the Gardiner east project. This will apply maximum pressure on DoFo and hopefully force the province to take on maintenance of the two main highways. At a bare minimum it could lead to a re-negotiation where the Province takes on some percentage of the burden.

2. Raise property taxes on SFHs more than on condos. The time of owning a cheap freehold property in the 416 is over, this privilege should no longer exist. The City could raise taxes on all freeholds, or anything within 1 km of a subway line, or use some other creative method. But either way, it costs more money service freehold properties than it does condos, and current tax rates do not reflect this. The MPAC assessments the City uses for taxes are also more favorable to SFHs, this needs to end.

I would be happy to see either of these ideas considered, but I'm not hopeful.

I also think Chow will have a much easier time negotiating more money with the Feds where Tory previously failed, such as for the Covid relief budget overruns.

Last edited:
It's official! Olivia Chow 269,372

1687987587602.png

Mayor Chow should come storming out of the gates with a big surefire thing: massive attention to transit. Hit the town up with expanded service, new buses galore, more transit lanes, the works. Mayor Chow should get cars off the road by giving her constituents a good alternative.

The previous administration (ahem) actually instituted service cuts, and that is just about the most stupid thing any administration could do in a big city, an already congested city. The net effect is to encourage car traffic - that is pure lunacy.

I've been in the Carlton/Parliament area since 1997. Back then I could hop on the streetcar, and take one subway stop to Eaton Centre, all in twenty minutes. I actually bragged about that. Now, trips downtown are a pain and I've been encouraged to use my car. Expensive parking and impatient drivers -- I never wanted part of that world. Mayor Chow should address this situation as first priority. Being able to get around in relative convenience is what life in the big city is all about.

There is the added bonus of helping constituents keep more moolah in their pockets. We are talking about a more affordable city, right? Try on the expense of care and feeding of, and parking, a car. It is really expensive.

Provide good transit like good cities do. It's a good, quick political hit and a great benefit to regular people like me. I consider this the highest priority. And while I'm at this, perhaps the TTC admin needs a good look-see.

How is she going to both spend more on transit and keep money in constituents pockets?

The suggestion is that by providing more transit, people will choose not to drive and perhaps not to own a car and/or have one less car and that the less driving, less car ownership is the means to more money in the constituents pocket.

So there is no suggestion that the money would come from the City as a tax reduction or the like.

Last edited:
Two things I would love to see Chow do, though both are very big asks.

1. Cancel the Gardiner east project. This will apply maximum pressure on DoFo and hopefully force the province to take on maintenance of the two main highways. At a bare minimum it could lead to a re-negotiation where the Province takes on some percentage of the burden.

2. Raise property taxes on SFHs more than on condos. The City could raise taxes on all freeholds, or anything within 1 km of a subway line, or use some other creative method. But either way, it costs more money service freehold properties than it does condos, and current tax rates do not reflect this. The MPAC assessments the City uses for taxes are also more favorable to SFHs, this needs to end.

I would be happy to see either of these ideas considered, but I'm not hopeful.

I also think Chow will have a much easier time negotiating more money with the Feds where Tory previously failed, such as for the Covid relief budget overruns.
Can you explain what you mean by this.
The time of owning a cheap freehold property in the 416 is over, this privilege should no longer exist.

Do you want to penalize people who worked hard and paid taxes?

The MPAC assessments the City uses for taxes are also more favorable to SFHs, this needs to end.

How so?

Can you explain what you mean by this.

Do you want to penalize people who worked hard and paid taxes?

How so?

I'll take a kick at the can; though I think Eddy's details are a bit fuzzy in spots.

The SFH property tax rate is artificially low, because the rate on older multi-res building is artificially high.

This is an artifact of multi-residental rental being taxed at the corporate rate, rather than the residential rate, historically.

This has not been the case on new builds for a number of years; but the bulk of multi-res housing is older and taxed at the higher rate (roughly double what an SFH pays for a similarly valued property)

It is within the City's power to lower the multi-res rate and raise the SFH mil. rate (something it has been doing, very, very slowly for several years). But it could accelerate this.

However, the politics would be very challenging for Council, as meeting in the middle would equal a very large, double-digit tax hike for SFH owners.

I support the idea, though doing it over 3-5 years is likely more feasible than all in one year.

But I don't see it being proposed or passed though this council, this year. But who knows, I could be surprised.

Ramping up service might be hard to do quickly, as it requires staff and vehicles. Transit prioritization might be easier (TSP, dedicated lanes, enforcement of King St transit priority) but probably not fast with consultation.

In a way, given the frankly performative nature of much consultation (decisions are already made and staff as just making the community feel like they have said their piece), I think I could trade speed of execution for less consultation, at least for things that are readily and inexpensively reversible.

Ramping up service might be hard to do quickly, as it requires staff and vehicles. Transit prioritization might be easier (TSP, dedicated lanes, enforcement of King St transit priority) but probably not fast with consultation.

The TTC currently has some surplus operators; and a enormous supply of parked buses and streetcars.

You missed it. Cut down on personal expenses by not necessarily needing a car therefore not buying one.
Maybe. Most people I know without cars spend just as much on Uber. Would need to be a pretty significant jump in the level of and quality of service. (Not more busses)

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed if Chow can appoint/remove the Deputy Mayor or committee chair roles, since we're already in a council term?

Has it been confirmed if Chow can appoint/remove the Deputy Mayor or committee chair roles, since we're already in a council term?

These roles have been rotated mid-term in the past. The mayor, alone, does not have authority to do it though.

These roles have been rotated mid-term in the past. The mayor, alone, does not have authority to do it though.
This is, I think, no longer so. The strong mayor powers allow the mayor to appoint his/her deputy and the committee chairs. (The chairs form the Executive Committee so this seems very reasonable - unlike other strong mayor powers!)

This is, I think, no longer so. The strong mayor powers allow the mayor to appoint his/her deputy and the committee chairs. (The chairs form the Executive Committee so this seems very reasonable - unlike other strong mayor powers!)

Indeed, you're right. I missed that they now have the power to dissolve committees (226.6) in addition to the power to create them.

Reactions: DSC

Back