News   Aug 06, 2024
 403     0 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 2.7K     1 
News   Aug 02, 2024
 4.7K     3 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

Walking home through downtown today it was astounding the number of tourists that are already in town. I know it's Caribana... err excuse me, Caribbean Carnival this weekend, but it appears this is well beyond only that.
It looks like this weekend the City will be packed beyond capacity and it will be interesting to see how well infrastructure holds up, especially with plenty of road closures.

No rain in the forecast until Monday either, so I expect every bar and restaurant patio to be 100% full Saturday and Sunday.

67 years-old and rocking this outfit.

1722783527477.png

John Tory would have worn a suit to Caribanna.

About 5 years ago, (John Tory's) City installed huge gates on Bayview to stop vehicles if the road was flooding. During the flood last month they were not closed and many vehicles got caught. I asked the Mayor two questions and got the following.

"Please see the response prepared by Transportation staff to your inquire below:

Was the Lower Don automated gate system used to support the closure of the DVP during the flood?

No, when a call was placed to the RESCU Operations Centre to remotely close the gates there was a cellular communications problem due to the extreme intense rain impacting the link.

There is a backup procedure in place whereby the Electrical Maintenance Contractor can be called in as an emergency call to locally flip the switch to close the gates. However, as Road Operations staff were already present, staff made the immediate decision to allow them to simply proceed with barrel deployments to close the gate.

The gates were closed in a timely manner, and it alleviated the immediate pressure from the EMC that was receiving many service calls all at the same time due to the flooding impacts on traffic signals around the City.

What measures are being taken to ensure that this doesn’t happen in the future?

Staff recognize the imperative need for Road Operations staff to also be trained in terms of how to manually close the gates in parallel with EMC staff.

In addition, a backup communication system will be designed to ensure that there are redundant paths of communication to the field equipment if there is an issue with cellular communications again."

Back