News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 377     0 

Mayor Olivia Chow's Toronto

No surprise, Council has voted for a by-election in Scarborough South-West (what was Crawford's Ward) election date TBD:

October’s runner-up, Parthi Kandavel, has confirmed he’s running. Third place finisher Kevin Rupasinghe has also stated his intention to run.

Kandavel will be forbidable. Last October he had the backing of much of the Bengladeshi community and local movers and shakers in residents associations, in addition to some support from local Liberal Party machinery.

Rupasinghe is a young engineer and activist who I thought somewhat underperformed last election. He ran on a fairly leftish platform on issues like road safety and better transit. Hot on the heels of a big mayoral win, I would bet Chow, Progress Toronto and labour groups will put big resources behind a candidate, which I assume will be Rupasinghe.

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
October’s runner-up, Parthi Kandavel, has confirmed he’s running. Third place finisher Kevin Rupasinghe has also stated his intention to run.

Kandavel will be forbidable. Last October he had the backing of much of the Bengladeshi community and a local movers and shakers in residents associations, in addition to some support from local Liberal Party machinery.

Rupasinghe is a young engineer and activist who I thought somewhat underperformed last election. He ran on a fairly leftish platform on issues like road safety and better transit. Hot on the heels of a big mayoral win, I would bet Chow, Progress Toronto and labour groups will put big resources behind a candidate, which I assume will be Rupasinghe.

Given the choice above, if I had a vote (I live in the ward next door, so I do not) I would support Kevin.

Parthi seems superficially progressive; but I looked at some of the statements he's made on development, and they seem very dubious.

In addition to Kevin and Parthi, we have one other confirmed candidate, Suman Roy, who ran for the seat in 2018, is a chef by trade, and founded the Scarborough Food Security initiative.

To that, we add, a possible run for Anthony Furey, who actually lives next door in Beaches-East York.

Given the area demos; one might be inclined to rule furey out, but should there be a deep pool of candidates on the centre-left side, he might slip onto Council with sub 35% support.

Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ho...cle_888477fe-2f67-58a0-8f38-08b69927ed94.html (behind the paywall)

In addition to Kevin and Parthi, we have one other confirmed candidate, Suman Roy, who ran for the seat in 2018, is a chef by trade, and founded the Scarborough Food Security initiative.

To that, we add, a possible run for Anthony Furey, who actually lives next door in Beaches-East York.

Given the area demos; one might be inclined to rule furey out, but should there be a deep pool of candidates on the centre-left side, he might slip onto Council with sub 35% support.

Star article:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/ho...cle_888477fe-2f67-58a0-8f38-08b69927ed94.html (behind the paywall)

I know Parthi, I worked with him during a few NDP Campaigns in around 2007.

I do think it will be a two horse race between Parthi and Kevin but ultimately, I believe Parthi will take the crown. Kevin had the sign advantage last election but as the saying goes "signs don't win you an election, votes do!"

Pretty impressed by the appointments, it was a good apportionment to all councillors (left, right, good, bad, whatever) and avoids creating an incentive to just sabotage Olivia out of resentment. Overall, I think this is how you give yourself the best change at forwarding your agenda.

The TTC board shake-up is very welcome, Myers will be great at providing the rider and accessibility lens in that role.

I'm no fan of Holyday (live in his ward and didn't vote for him), but on the TTC, I don't think you are all making the point you think you are making. He takes TTC every day (I've seen him on the subway), probably more than some of these other councillors who are supposed to be part of Chow's team - so I think TTC is a good place for him.

I'm no fan of Holyday (live in his ward and didn't vote for him), but on the TTC, I don't think you are all making the point you think you are making. He takes TTC every day (I've seen him on the subway), probably more than some of these other councillors who are supposed to be part of Chow's team - so I think TTC is a good place for him.

I think the above is a good post; but its a bit confusing.

In respect of the bold, to whom are you replying? You didn't quote or tag anyone, so its unclear what point you're taking issue with....

Star article:

Interesting point regarding Furey. I didn’t know he was a Beaches resident. In a crowded race, he might only need 30% of the vote. It’s possible there could be a right wing split, too, especially if Crawford endorses his preferred replacement.

I think the above is a good post; but its a bit confusing.

In respect of the bold, to whom are you replying? You didn't quote or tag anyone, so its unclear what point you're taking issue with....
I think saying that he sticks out like a sore thumb on that list, my perception is that was implying he wouldn't agree with them (or be in favour of public transit), and a few of the other posts that I got that perception from. As much as I dislike him and his positions on bike lanes, planning & development, and protecting the wealthy single family homes in his area - on transit (and TTC) he is quite an advocate for better transit and is reasonable (and a frequent TTC user), so I do think that is a good place to keep him.

I think saying that he sticks out like a sore thumb on that list, my perception is that was implying he wouldn't agree with them (or be in favour of public transit), and a few of the other posts that I got that perception from. As much as I dislike him and his positions on bike lanes, planning & development, and protecting the wealthy single family homes in his area - on transit (and TTC) he is quite an advocate for better transit and is reasonable (and a frequent TTC user), so I do think that is a good place to keep him.

Right, I got your POV, and I think its a reasonable one.

I simply didn't understand who you were replying to; which was, apparently, me.

I didn't say he wasn't any of those things you attribute to him though; I did say he would stick out, as he is clearly a different political animal from the others in the group.

There's no denying he's the 'outlier'.

Now, on the subject of transit, you make the case well that he may be less of an outlier than on other issues; and that as a regular rider on the TTC (which would doubtless surprise many), he may have useful insights to offer.

I will say, he was already on the TTC Board prior to this cycle, I can't say I recall any noteworthy participation from him either way; but that may be my oversight. If I get some time, I may muddle through the TTC minutes to see if he's been useful at all.

Stephen Holyday's Ward 2. Will he even improve transit in his ward?
1691786252928.png

From link.

How about re-routing the 300 Bloor-Danforth Night Bus? Have the 300A go along The West Mall along residential streets instead of along Highway 427, to be able to serve the residents south of Eglinton Avenue West? How about having the 300B loop at Rathburn Road instead of Burnhamthorpe Road?
1691786554959.png

o_OIf we could get the WiFi expanded out to all transit vehicles, including the streetcars, maybe we can have podcasts by the TTC Chair Jamaal Myers and/or TTC CEO Rick Leary ( 😂). Similar to the monthly "On The Rocket" broadcasts on CP24 back in 2009.

Last edited:

Back