News   Jul 16, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 828     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Actually, I think that that map posted is very instructive. Notice how most of the appointments come from the "third" Toronto. We talk about the downtown and the suburbs but maybe there are actually three Toronto's. The Core, the Inner suburbs, and the outer suburbs. Both downtown and the outer suburban councillors were largely shut-out. The agenda of this council will largely reflect the ambitions and bias of the Inner suburbs. This area is kind of semi-urban in character as we would tend to define it here on this forum.

In fairness, I feel this area is the area that should be of greatest concern at this point in the development of our city. It is the area that is and will see some of the biggest changes in the coming years with the new transit initiative under construction (such as the Eglington line) and those proposed such as the Scarborough Subway and SmartTrack. I live in the core and have a downtown bias but let's face it, the downtown is killing it right now. I don't feel downtown really needs council to focus attention or resources at it. From a strategic perspective it is not really the downtown that is of interest in the coming decades, it is how change and development pressure will spill over into the shoulder inner suburbs and how these areas will further urbanize as they gain more access to rapid transit networks and further transition into a more urban form. The outer suburbs are a serious problem area in the city but we are probably just not in a position to help much at this point and these areas will probably continue getting poorer and more alienated for the next few decades no matter what we do.

Putting ideological bias aside, if you follow my three Toronto's model you can see that Miller, Ford, and now Tory were not accidents but represented each of the three Torontos during the period in the City's history where the story of that part of the city needed to be heard. Miller represented the ascendancy of the core, Ford represented the decline and alienation of the outer suburbs, and Tory represents the metamorphosis of the inner suburbs.

Actually, I think that that map posted is very instructive. Notice how most of the appointments come from the "third" Toronto. We talk about the downtown and the suburbs but maybe there are actually three Toronto's. The Core, the Inner suburbs, and the outer suburbs. Both downtown and the outer suburban councillors were largely shut-out. The agenda of this council will largely reflect the ambitions and bias of the Inner suburbs. This area is kind of semi-urban in character as we would tend to define it here on this forum.

In fairness, I feel this area is the area that should be of greatest concern at this point in the development of our city. It is the area that is and will see some of the biggest changes in the coming years…

Putting ideological bias aside, if you follow my three Toronto's model you can see that Miller, Ford, and now Tory were not accidents but represented each of the three Torontos during the period in the City's history where the story of that part of the city needed to be heard. Miller represented the ascendancy of the core, Ford represented the decline and alienation of the outer suburbs, and Tory represents the metamorphosis of the inner suburbs.

Pretty fresh and provocative analysis, TR. However, one can see Miller (Inner and Core) as a 'sweep' of Lastman (part inner, part outer, part 'Devil You Know') and Ford was a 'Miller fatigue' reactionary response. Tory is an attempt to bring perceived middle-ness back to civic order. Though one can understand why some (hey, there *waves*) think that 'Not Left. Not Right. Forward." has pushed the entire city back to, well, a reset of 2010 (Now With Less Don Cherry! And More Minnan-Wong!).

You are on to something here, though. The northern portions of Dufferin, Bathurst and Avenue especially seem ripe for density. We'll see how that goes over.The Eastern N/S arteries (The area around Eglinton/Laird aside)? Not so much.

You are on to something here, though. The northern portions of Dufferin, Bathurst and Avenue especially seem ripe for density. We'll see how that goes over.The Eastern N/S arteries (The area around Eglinton/Laird aside)? Not so much.

There are some plans in the works to convert some of that industrial land nearby Laird to midrise offices. Some increased density is bound to happen by the future Crosstown stations.

Too early to count the area out for redevelopment yet. We have to wait for the opening of the Crosstown first.

Contrary to belief, the mayor sets the tone for the speaker, Ford established that, let's see if Tory continues that or if Nunzy has to read the manual.

Not buying it....the speaker she be the one setting the tone in council.

She's already proven that she cannot control council and cannot be non-partisan in the position of speaker...both fatal flaws as a speaker. Why, when you are starting from scratch, would you choose her again?

It makes no sense to think that because Tory is mayor that she will all of a sudden become competent. She owns her incompetence...don't blame her actions on Ford.

Nunziata as speaker again won't translate into anything fatal. But it does represent a huge blunder on the part of the mayor, which is a bad omen in general.

Council could...and should vote against it, but what's the likelihood that they would do something as serious as hand the new mayor a defeat in council in the first couple of days? Not happening.

If council wants to put up with Nunziata just because Tory is a new mayor, then that's their problem. Let them enjoy what they deserve, it doesn't affect me.

Because voting against subways in suburbia is somehow reckless spending.

Come on now. Miller wasted millions. Thats why people were fed up and voted for Ford. Why else would he ever have gotton in otherwise?

Not buying it....the speaker she be the one setting the tone in council.

She's already proven that she cannot control council and cannot be non-partisan in the position of speaker...both fatal flaws as a speaker. Why, when you are starting from scratch, would you choose her again?

Yes, it is the speaker that is to set the tone of a council meeting but that does not mean to control council. They are to guide the flow of the council meetings, this includes keeping councillors and the mayor in line as to not disrupt the productive flow of a meeting. Speakers are to be "neutral" not "non-partisan".

Someone who builds their base from present infrastructure if they have no empirical knowledge in an area seems sensible to me. If there is info on Tory building anything from scratch then I have missed it, can you please link to the article.

It makes no sense to think that because Tory is mayor that she will all of a sudden become competent. She owns her incompetence...don't blame her actions on Ford.

I never said Nunzy would be competent under Tory, nor did I blame Ford for her being incompetent, that's all on her. Nunzy played favourites in council, and I do attribute that to her, but with Robbie's and Dougie's guidance; her appearances on the circle jerk made that fact evident.

A subway to farmfields is something to be proud of? I call it a waste of money. You have proven my point
Miller was responsible for the Eglinton Crosstown. He had nothing to do with the The Sorbara extension, and the farmfield stations are not even in Toronto.

I'm not even sure what your point was but it certainly hasn't been proven by anything in this thread.

Just heard Tory on Metro Morning. Nunziatia is going to go get some coaching from some other speakers. It's all good. :rolleyes:

Come on now. Miller wasted millions. Thats why people were fed up and voted for Ford. Why else would he ever have gotton in otherwise?

Best Mayor during my 20 years in Toronto, by a country mile. Continues to amuse me how many people cannot acknowledge that. It has a sort of 'Clinton couldn't have been a good President 'cause he's a Democrat' or 'Harper couldn't be a good Prime Minister because he's a Conservative' feel to it, depending on your political bent.

Back