News   Jul 16, 2024
 200     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 950     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 42s42 seconds ago
Councillor Filion is asking Wong-Tam replace Mammoliti on the committee of adjustment nominating panel as a matter of "integrity."
Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 33s33 seconds ago
"There is probably no better time to set our integrity bar" Filion wants to take Mammoliti off Committee of Adjustment Nominating Panel

This might be a good idea since he is under police investigation!

Investigation for what?

Illegal fundraising. He could be removed from office I believe.

Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 28s29 seconds ago
Giorgio Mammoliti to John Tory on floor of council: "I quite frankly think you're going to do a good job."

Is that why he endorsed Doug in the election? Someone is kissing up to Tory!

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 58s58 seconds ago
"I want to start fresh with a new term," Mammoliti says. His trial on election act offences starts next week.
Ann Hui ‏@annhui 6s6 seconds ago
Clr. Layton now trying to remove Clr. Mammoliti from Exhibition Place board, replacing him with Clr. Perks (who was on board til recently)

Jim Karygiannias is a nutcase...

Last edited:
I am watching the council today and Mammoliti is back to being a disruption. Karygiannis is proving our pre-election fears correct and is siding with Mammoliti. Big surprise.

The rest of the council members seems to be on the same page on consensus building.

Jim was the MP where my parents live for a very long time. I hear that he had a poor attendance record in Ottawa. His daughter went to high school with me as well.

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 4s4 seconds ago
John Tory just seems really amused by everything happening around him.

Last edited:
By all accounts I have read, David Crombie was a very good mayor. But, it's difficult to compare him to Lastman, Miller, Ford or Tory because Crombie was only responsible for 37 square miles, whereas John Tory has to take care of 240 square miles.

Other than the fact that he's still around and smiles like a cherub, why does everyone say that about Crombie? He was a one-term mayor in the Metro era, where many things were not under his control. Dennison & Beavis, before and after Crombie, are completely forgotten. Sewell continues to rabble-rouse, and Eggleton gets little love despite his long tenure (my arrival in Toronto was actually in his last year, which I did not remember at all.)

My mayors started with the forgettable Rowlands and Hall, followed by the chaotic Lastman that allowed some serious corruption to creep in, Milller, then Ford.

Tory will have a shot at being a very, very good mayor if he can keep growth going without overwhelming the city. Can he take Miller's (or Crombie's) crown? Absolutely. Will he? Doubtful -- he's got a pretty conflicted agenda and lots of stakeholders pulling him in all directions.

It'll be interesting to see how his first tax hike goes...

Ann Hui ‏@annhui 2m2 minutes ago
Clr. Filion withdraws his earlier motion to remove Mammoliti from the appointments panel. Describes Kelly's as "friendlier"
Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 19s19 seconds ago
Councillor Kelly, ever the peacemaker, has presented a solution to the committee of adjustment problem. They vote now to sort it all out.

Too bad Norm has to leave council some day...

Other than the fact that he's still around and smiles like a cherub, why does everyone say that about Crombie? He was a one-term mayor in the Metro era, where many things were not under his control. Dennison & Beavis, before and after Crombie, are completely forgotten. Sewell continues to rabble-rouse, and Eggleton gets little love despite his long tenure (my arrival in Toronto was actually in his last year, which I did not remember at all.)

My mayors started with the forgettable Rowlands and Hall, followed by the chaotic Lastman that allowed some serious corruption to creep in, Milller, then Ford.

Tory will have a shot at being a very, very good mayor if he can keep growth going without overwhelming the city. Can he take Miller's (or Crombie's) crown? Absolutely. Will he? Doubtful -- he's got a pretty conflicted agenda and lots of stakeholders pulling him in all directions.

It'll be interesting to see how his first tax hike goes...

Crombie was elected as Mayor 3 times following one term as councilor with large majorities on re election (shorter terms). Eggleton was mayor during a lot of development but all I remember him for was his booting from cabinet and his refusal to recognize the Pride Parade.

Jennifer Pagliaro ‏@jpags 39s39 seconds ago
Kelly's amendment to add two members to committee of adjustment almost sails through. Opposed by Ford, Holyday.

I figured this could still go in the Tory thread. Lone wolf Ford is back.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m1 minute ago
Council votes 43 to 2 to approve the striking committee recommendations as amended #TOpoli

https://twitter.com/GraphicMatt/status/540237407950757888
Close vote! Council votes 19-26 against taking Mammoliti off the Ex Board. Here's the result:

B39PD2SIcAALfza.png

Attachments

• B39PD2SIcAALfza.png
    B39PD2SIcAALfza.png
    208.7 KB · Views: 534
Other than the fact that he's still around and smiles like a cherub, why does everyone say that about Crombie? He was a one-term mayor in the Metro era, where many things were not under his control.

Actually he was elected in 1972 and re-elected in 1974 and 1976. I remember him as the mayor when I was young. I don't remember much about him myself, but what seems to make him notable is that he was elected on a platform of responsible development in the city, ending the "let's tear everything down and build expressways and massive highrise developments" era of the 1960s, and concentrating more on lower scale development and preservation of urban neighbourhoods. I'm sure someone on UT here can give a much better summary of what made him stand out as a mayor.

If Tory can build consensus and bring in an era of good governance, good urban planning, and execution of those plans, including transit and employment lands, maybe he can build a good legacy. I guess we'll find out as we go along.

Back