News   Jul 16, 2024
 74     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 824     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 958     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Bwahahahaha... you realize why this is, right? Right?

Is it because of the baby jezuz?

Or is it because the cost and engineering involved in removing a pole requires 40 years to accomplish?

The rest of your screed was a pretty entitled view of the world, but this was just AWESOME. Thanks for that!

Entitled is expecting to shut down the entire public transit system in downtown Toronto because you felt the need to run 10 kms. Make fun of my antiquing on Sunday, but at least it doesn't bother anyone else.

I see these people after they are done wrapped in a piece of tinfoil and holding their free banana...and I'm like...you didn't even run an actual marathon (which isn't even healthy...people actually die during these events). Like that other annoying event where people die (Caribana), it should be relegated to an isolated spot where it doesn't bother anyone else.

The flaw in your logic is not only that "packed" service isn't a requirement to justify providing the service...but that "packed" service is an undesirable feature in the first place.
You were the one who said that the TTC is always "packed". I'll rephrase and say that hourly service on the subway at 4am would make the Sheppard Subway midday look busy.

Anyway, it seems like most of your beefs about the TTC are selfishly related to you getting to and from your antiquing as quickly as possible:

-You want 4am subway service so that you can get to your antiquing right at 5am
-You don't like Sunday stops because they delay you getting to your antiquing
-You want a 504 ROW so that you can get to/from your antiquing faster
-You don't want any running events on Sunday morning because they delay you getting to your antiquing

The fact that there isn't an alternative route is beside the point. The idea that it's ok to shut down all public transit in the entire downtown core is acceptable under anything but apocalyptical purposes is quite moronic to me.

I think all these virtual terms have been dealt with already.

No such need. At one time, it was practical idea, as going to church was the most likely reason you would be on a streetcar on a sunday. Funny though....I don't notice them out front of non-christian places of worship.

Canada has a state religion and it happens to be a "Christian" religion.

Yea...because I'm paying a fare to take public transit. If I wanted to walk, I would be in the freaking marathon. Besides, it would be walking from Jarvis to Spadina, and then you have no idea what service you will find when you get there.

Jarvis to Spadina? That's a stroll for me and my wife, anyway, it's hardly a "marathon". Again, if you don't plan accordingly then how can it be someone/something else's fault?

It would seem to me that there could be a lot of routes for these people who want to "run" 10 kms, for whatever reason (I won't get into how marathons are about as pointless as tattoos) that don't require paralyzing the entire surface transit system of the downtown core. That's so hilariously stupid. Why not close the Gardiner/DVP for marathons instead? It's far more practical as it doesn't require every police officer in north america to stand around the countless intersections these marathons go through while snaking their way through the entire downtown core. Plus it would be more scenic.

The core has the greatest exposure and is easiest to which to travel. Again with the virtual terms? You really sound like an alarmist. Anyway, Yonge and University are prime locations (including that they are in tourist areas) for events and don't require extensive detours such as the DVP being an expressway. Then there are the benefits for the local business.

Hey...I have a great idea...let's campaign to have the G20 Summit in downtown Toronto permanently...and multiple times a year!!!! Won't that be fun

Maybe we should, it would give practise time to the TPS, and eventually they will get the whole security thing right and not end up in court.

Why can't we have nice things? I said a city like Toronto...which meant a city that could stand above the crowd.

Huh?

There's an entire thread devoted to this, and it's not as difficult either logistically or financially as you think. Besides, if we were going to be that practical, we would shut down the Sheppard line and stop construction on the new Spadina extension...and cancel the Scarb subway (again). Do you ever use the TTC??? It's packed no matter what time you use it. I catch the first 504 streetcar at 5:30 am every Sunday...it's full of people.

There are several threads devoted to transit and it's challenges. Practicality? Unless transit is divested from politics you will never see proper development or a useful timeframe. As I stated, bureaucracy is the problem.

We use transit when needed, just like everyone.

Last edited:
Entitled is expecting to shut down the entire public transit system in downtown Toronto because you felt the need to run 10 kms. Make fun of my antiquing on Sunday, but at least it doesn't bother anyone else.

I see these people after they are done wrapped in a piece of tinfoil and holding their free banana...and I'm like...you didn't even run an actual marathon (which isn't even healthy...people actually die during these events). Like that other annoying event where people die (Caribana), it should be relegated to an isolated spot where it doesn't bother anyone else.

The 'entire transit system' isn't shut down because of a running event. Most of the transit system isn't running at the time a marathon or 10K starts and the surface routes affected are rerouted or suspended.

People who die during runs and marathons either haven't trained properly and/or push themselves too hard and/or, more rarely, have previously undetected medical conditions.

People 'actually die' doing a whole lot of other things too, like crossing the street or generally being inactive.

And isn't antiquing best done out of town?

For the record re "really really really old" John Tory: Jack Layton would be older by about 5 years.

I know, I'm around Tory's age. But still do charity runs, triathlons and other events both as participant and volunteer.

The actual marathon only has 2,500 runners: http://www.torontomarathon.com/races/marathon.html

It just seems ridiculous to close down the city so these people can feel better about themselves, many of them not even from Toronto. The whole "marathon industry" is a big joke.

The city isn't 'closed down' - you just need to think a little differently if you want to get around.

I fail to see what the problem is many of the runners 'not even' being from Toronto. Major marathons in other cities draw runners from elsewhere - they rely on that, in fact.

'Marathon industry'? Ha.

Canada has a state religion and it happens to be a "Christian" religion.

The fact that this is incorrect is irrelevant (Canada is a secular state). The point is that maintaining a stop to service any specific building that basically nobody uses is stupid. Streetcar routes have enough delay problems from inept management that it seems plainly irresponsible to not remove them. A perfect example I encounter every sunday on the 504 westbound is the stop in front of the church at Close ave, which is less than 100m from the Jameson stop. People pull the stop cord thinking they are getting off at Jameson, but he stops at Close because it's a Sunday stop. No one ever gets off and goes to the church, and this was a needless delay in what is already a route seriously plagued by delays.

But while I'm sure the TTC will one day eliminate these glaringly stupid Sunday stops, don't expect Tory to show up for presser on that one...Mr Conservative won't want to be seen as anti-god for his religious base. I can see the headlines now...."TTC snubs god...takes away his streetcar stops"

It just seems ridiculous to close down the city so these people can feel better about themselves, many of them not even from Toronto. The whole "marathon industry" is a big joke.

I know, right? Why would we want to bring people into the city to stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, donate to charities through their fees, and spend other money elsewhere?

I know I'm biased because I'm a runner, but the ignorance is pretty heavy in this thread.

I know I'm biased because I'm a runner, but the ignorance is pretty heavy in this thread.

Not a runner but I agree with your "bias" 100%. Unless you're a relatively close by out-of-towner you're bringing essentially tourist dollars here. Odds are you may even come for the weekend. So a few hours of running is not the only thing you do. And while you're doing what you're doing, you're also spending money on food, accommodation, other activities and souvenirs. Obviously marathons are bad for business ... Not.

Not a runner but I agree with your "bias" 100%. Unless you're a relatively close by out-of-towner you're bringing essentially tourist dollars here. Odds are you may even come for the weekend. So a few hours of running is not the only thing you do. And while you're doing what you're doing, you're also spending money on food, accommodation, other activities and souvenirs. Obviously marathons are bad for business ... Not.

Plus, the routes are what they are for a reason.

1. You need enough space to accommodate the runners to avoid injuries (so parks are out);
2. If you want a fast(er) course to attract more runners, then topography needs to be taken into account (so again, parks are out, and there's a reason the majority of the routes are run south);
3. If you want a scenic course to attract more runners, then a more urban location is desirable in lieu of natural beauty like, say, Big Sur (so Downsview, for example, is out); and,
4. If you want to attract more runners, then you want to maintain your IAAF rating, which again take the route, speed, and topography into account.

In any other city in the world, people line the streets by the thousands to cheer on the runners because they're proud of their city. In Toronto, we piss and moan because a streetcar, or worse, a car, is delayed. Fucking philistines.

Also, the argument that marathons are stupid because they're dangerous is probably the most ridiculous. You know what's dangerous? Sitting on the couch. Or crossing the street. Enjoy your bubble.

In any other city in the world, people line the streets by the thousands to cheer on the runners because they're proud of their city. In Toronto, we piss and moan because a streetcar, or worse, a car, is delayed. Fucking philistines.

Not true. FCG complaining on UT or some Sun whiners are just the complainers. There are also lots of volunteers, spectators, and other genuinely enjoying the runs.

Back