News   Jul 17, 2024
 150     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 775     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

He's pandering to drivers.

He's pandering to clueless drivers, who don't check to see what might be happening on a summer weekend. I used to take my daughter to the Ex grounds every weekend and it was usually by car, sometimes by TTC. Because we would check.

I agree with JGHali, limiting blame to drivers is silly, it's the whiner-babies.

Does the Santa Clause Parade happen every other weekend in the winter?

No. But to listen to Tory or read some of the comments here, it might as well be. And the Santa Claus Parade is in the (horror!) afternoon!

Having done several runs (not quite a full marathon yet), I find the complaints from drivers infuriating. What other special events should we do away with since they're an "inconvenience"? I have no use for a bunch of malcontented whiners who think thousands of runners should have their events cancelled or "moved" because they can't be bothered to put in a modest amount of advance planning.

And Yonge Street isn't closed for running events every other weekend in the spring/fall. Your point?

Are you being deliberately misleading? No one said this was limited to the spring and fall or Young Street.
Feel free to list all the run's in the city that are on public roads, I'm sure you'll find it's more than just one.

Are you being deliberately misleading? No one said this was limited to the spring and fall or Young Street.
Feel free to list all the run's in the city that are on public roads, I'm sure you'll find it's more than just one.
Yonge*

All I'm saying is that "every other week" is exaggerating.

No. But to listen to Tory or read some of the comments here, it might as well be. And the Santa Claus Parade is in the (horror!) afternoon!

Having done several runs (not quite a full marathon yet), I find the complaints from drivers infuriating. What other special events should we do away with since they're an "inconvenience"? I have no use for a bunch of malcontented whiners who think thousands of runners should have their events cancelled or "moved" because they can't be bothered to put in a modest amount of advance planning.

Doesn't the Santa Claus Parade go past John Tory's condo at One Bedford at Bloor?

This is the problem with electing a really really really old man. He just doesn't get it. A savvy politician would actually promote adult fitness, and show up in the morning to say a few words and signal the start of the event.
Glad I already entered the Triathlon and they got their permits for 2015
The Yonge St 10K runs and the Yorkville 5K are over before most Sunday morning drivers are awake.
The marathon routing has been worked on to interfere with traffic as little as possible, and roads are opened as soon as the last runner has moved past.

Last edited:
Yes, it certainly is a great inconvenience to be unable to take the 504 for your antiquing a handful of Sundays in the year. It's a few hours. At most.

Is there some reason you can't just, you know, walk from Yonge to Spadina? It's at most a 15-20 minute walk, which strikes me as perfectly reasonable for a Sunday morning off.

It's disconcerting that Tory is choosing to pander on this issue. And to whom exactly? Petty complainers? Because that's what these kinds of complaints are - petty and nonsensical. Why target marathons? Why not the Santa Clause Parade?

Toronto isn't some idyllic small town where we can all just go for a Sunday morning stroll in cases of major disruption to the transit and road networks. People have to go to work, visit family, get stuff done, and I'm not sure why charity marathons get priority over everything else.

The Santa Clause parade happens once a year, and I'd argue that it's a much more inclusive event than the running events.

The Yonge St 10K runs and the Yorkville 5K are over before most Sunday morning drivers are awake.

Exactly. Same with the Ride for Heart. People like to complain that these events are 'every weekend' and act as if there is no notice. There is plenty of notice - some people just don't like to plan ahead, I guess. I think a bigger problem is that the events themselves draw participants who arrive by car because they start before subway service begins on Sundays. On the other hand, the Santa Claus parade is a great opportunity to come downtown by subway, but every year it means scores of people parking illegally in adjacent neighbourhoods.

Exactly. Same with the Ride for Heart. People like to complain that these events are 'every weekend' and act as if there is no notice. There is plenty of notice - some people just don't like to plan ahead, I guess. I think a bigger problem is that the events themselves draw participants who arrive by car because they start before subway service begins on Sundays. On the other hand, the Santa Claus parade is a great opportunity to come downtown by subway, but every year it means scores of people parking illegally in adjacent neighbourhoods.

Read the quote:
“When three worthy groups all want to have their run down Yonge Street in the same month, that’s very nice, but we may have to say to one of them, … ‘Sorry, somebody may have to move to another month, or somebody’s going to have to make the move to another place in the public interest,’ †he said. “I’m prepared to take the heat for that.â€

Its not a ban - its a rationalization. Its the same concept of having someone provide oversight to coordinate construction projects etc...

I believe this is what we call "Management". Maybe we're all just shocked at having someone actually be cognizant (and not drunk/stoned/high) enough to manage the city.

Read the quote:
“When three worthy groups all want to have their run down Yonge Street in the same month, that’s very nice, but we may have to say to one of them, … ‘Sorry, somebody may have to move to another month, or somebody’s going to have to make the move to another place in the public interest,’ ” he said. “I’m prepared to take the heat for that.”

Its not a ban - its a rationalization. Its the same concept of having someone provide oversight to coordinate construction projects etc...

I believe this is what we call "Management". Maybe we're all just shocked at having someone actually be cognizant (and not drunk/stoned/high) enough to manage the city.

Three in the same month is not a problem the way three on the same day would be, or something every single weekend. That's what the objectors to these events make it out to be. These events happen, there is advance notice, there are alternatives for getting around. People just need to deal with it better.

Back