News   Jul 16, 2024
 120     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 278     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

How can this not be seen as an improvement?

Because this forum would prefer to concentrate on Tory's executive appointments (which are choosing from a bad lot and have to content with political realities) as opposed to his: external appointments (his staff members) and what he's actually done or tried to do in his inaugural address and early meetings. If you listen to the majority of this forum - he's the second coming of Rob Ford and has disenfranchised all of downtown. Only by day 2!

Many of the Orthodox christian faith celebrate Xmas on January 7. That is a fact.

ETA: You are correct about Easter.

Seeing that I was Greek Orthodox, I am correct about Christmas, too :) I don't know of any Greeks who celebrate Christmas in January like the other Orthodox religions do.

More paper. Less trees. Planet dies.

I haven't hugged a tree in a very long time.

Because this forum would prefer to concentrate on Tory's executive appointments (which are choosing from a bad lot and have to content with political realities) as opposed to his: external appointments (his staff members) and what he's actually done or tried to do in his inaugural address and early meetings. If you listen to the majority of this forum - he's the second coming of Rob Ford and has disenfranchised all of downtown. Only by day 2!

The horror! We all expected more bickering in council and there was bound to be drama with Mammo and Karyginnias.

Last edited:
Seeing that I was Greek Orthodox, I am correct about Christmas, too :) I don't know of any Greeks who celebrate Christmas in January like the other Orthodox religions do.

I said Orthodox christian not specifically Greek. As an Orthodox Christian, I celebrate on January 7. :). No need for Karla's grandparents to clarify lol

One thing I noticed in council today was that despite Rob being there and trying to demand attention, the focus was elsewhere for the most part. Yes, he tried to pretend that he was still mayor a few times, but overall was just another councillor.

Someone willing to fight tooth and nail with the province for more funding for municipal transit and infrastructure? That would sound great.

I'd like to know who wouldn't want a Nenshi as our mayor and their reasons why.

Anyone who follows him on Twitter can see how great he is at the job.

Actually he was elected in 1972 and re-elected in 1974 and 1976. I remember him as the mayor when I was young. I don't remember much about him myself, but what seems to make him notable is that he was elected on a platform of responsible development in the city, ending the "let's tear everything down and build expressways and massive highrise developments" era of the 1960s, and concentrating more on lower scale development and preservation of urban neighbourhoods. I'm sure someone on UT here can give a much better summary of what made him stand out as a mayor.

Let's also keep in mind that Crombie's mayoral tenure ended not with defeat, but with a jump to Ottawa--where he stayed for another decade. Otherwise, he'd have been a cinch for a fourth term and maybe beyond.

And come to think of it, remember that despite all this hand-wringing about the garbage strike, polls showed that Miller would have won again (yes, over Ford) had he run in 2010...

If our mayor is left or right of centre, I don't know.

I've lived my entire life in TO ( Wards 4 and 13 ). I'm more concerned that I get a dial tone when I pick up my telephone receiver, don't get stuck in a subway tunnel for an hour, my wall sockets contain electricity, that the city air doesn't kill me, water comes out of my taps, and that the firemen will come if I pull down the handle on a red box.

I believe we should return to having our councillors elect our leader. If there was ever any doubt, the 2010 and 2014 elections made up my mind on that subject.

I'm happy that Mayor Tory appointed four "ceremonial" mayors in the four quadrants of the city. Let them march in the parades.

As long as the mayor does not make a public disgrace of himself, and is ready, willing and able to take charge during a State of Emergency 24/7/365 I'm ok with him. Not everyone can do that, but I have confidence that JT can.

Last edited:
and is ready, willing and able to take charge during a State of Emergency 24/7/365 I'm ok with him

This! Tory shows up early to work, doesn't avoid the press and won't be in a drunken stupor when the next flood or snowstorm happens. Council will always be full of bickering with people like Mammo getting re-elected. Were people expecting total harmony?

I don't like some of his appointments, but won't write him off after three days as mayor.

I think Toronto Life put it well:

Elections also produce losers, and the 2014 Toronto election once again returned a tiny rump of NDP-backed progressives to council. One wonders where they get the idea, two drubbings in, that they’re nonetheless entitled to hold the levers of power and policy.

Back