News   Jul 15, 2024
 579     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 741     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 599     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Just in case, the heating can be turned off. They changed the wordings...

Heating (Minimum temperatures)

From link.

All landlords are responsible for providing heat to a minimum air temperature of 21 degrees Celsius from September 15 to June 1. There are time periods during this stretch of time when the weather can be a bit warmer (September 15 to October 15 and May 1 to June 1), which can cause the temperature indoors to be above 21 degrees Celsius, resulting in uncomfortable living conditions for tenants.

If the weather outside means that the building is 21 degrees Celsius without heat, property owners and landlords can turn the heat down or off.

If a building has air conditioning, the Property Standards Bylaw requires that they turn it on between June 2 and September 14. But, if it is hot outside, landlords can turn it on earlier as long as the building does not go below 21 Celsius.

If you have concerns about low or no heat in your rental unit, speak to your landlord or property manager. If this issue is not resolved in a timely manner, you can contact the City.

The heat is off in our building, but it will take a week to cool the pipes and get the A/C on.

Just in time, to turn the heat back on. ?

1590501879000.png

New 'Housing Now' sites (phase 2) identified by City.

The new recommended site locations are:
• 158 Borough Dr.
• 2444 Eglinton Ave. E.
• 1627 & 1675 Danforth Ave.
• 1631 Queen St. E.
• 405 Sherbourne St.
• 150 Queens Wharf Rd

Nobody needs heat on when it's 15C outside. They just don't. Especially after a week of what we're having now. This heat standard is a joke and is wasteful, if anything.

The standard ought to be solely about the temperature in the unit, period.

If its -10 in July, (you should assume its nuclear winter and kiss your ass goodbye, if you're that flexible) LOL; but barring that, the heat should be on.

If its +22 in January, the heat should be off.

Its not rocket-science.

To be fair, its a bit more of a challenge in buildings with old-school boiler systems to flip a switch...........but with proper forecasting, and efficient boilers, it can be done.

Though we really need to consider either moving forced-air systems in older buildings........or to a boiler system that can transition to ice cold and serve to cool and heat as required.

New 'Housing Now' sites (phase 2) identified by City.

The new recommended site locations are:
• 158 Borough Dr.
• 2444 Eglinton Ave. E.
• 1627 & 1675 Danforth Ave.
• 1631 Queen St. E.
• 405 Sherbourne St.
• 150 Queens Wharf Rd
The Danforth site is huge, I hope they go high density there. I also hope they find excess storage capacity elsewhere.

150 Queens Wharf Road also stood out to me, wasn't that supposed to be the site of the proposed Lower Garrison Creek Park?

Noticed a lot more tent cities like LA in Toronto...

why is the city allowing this?

Where do you get the idea that the City is 'allowing' this?

The City has removed several encampments for better or worse.; some with great controversy.

The police have moved to dismantle camps under the Gardiner at least twice this spring; and also moved on 2 other locations as well.'

That said, the City was being sued over the fact its homeless shelters in many cases have been in non-compliance with social distancing.

A recent interim settlement required the City to space beds apart, limit the number of beds in closed rooms, and cease using bunk beds (I assume simply taping off top bunks, but I don't know)

Many were staying on the streets who would normally use shelters out of concern about Covid.

There have already been shelter-based outbreaks.

Add to that, the shelter system was fairly close to capacity to begin with; and not everyone could get a bed on any given night.

Shelters can also be unsafe, both from bodily violence, but also from the point of view of having your stuff stolen.

Imagine, when you have so little you can carry it with you everywhere, then having someone take it.

It would be understandable that some avoid shelters.

Last edited:
Yes, why doesn't the city hide all the homeless people out of sight?

So we then allow tent cities, with lots of unsafe open drug use, open defecation and a lot of increased petty crime in the local neighbourhood?

A friend living around Moss park says she feels unsafe to go to her local park as a result.

Its rather unfair to the general public for the city not doing more because i doubt tent cities would last for 6 hours in Rosedale.

So we then allow tent cities, with lots of unsafe open drug use, open defecation and a lot of increased petty crime in the local neighbourhood?

A friend living around Moss park says she feels unsafe to go to her local park as a result.

Its rather unfair to the general public for the city not doing more because i doubt tent cities would last for 6 hours in Rosedale.

A) Did you even read my post?

B) I can tell you there are 2 encampments in Rosedale, right now, one of them fairly large; The City knows about it, its been dismantled before.

Back