News   Jul 16, 2024
 585     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 688     2 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

According to Wikipedia, Public/Mass Transit is...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_transport

So... let's form a committee to describe this service, oh wait...

Wikipedia text does not set either Precedent or fact (for definition purposes) for the Supreme Court of Canada.

You're better to ignore that it exists in matters like this.

Also, without a citation from someone authoritative (Mister of Transportation, Canadian supreme court judge, ...) my definition is equally valid as that random persons article.

Wikipedia text does not set either Precedent or fact (for definition purposes) for the Supreme Court of Canada.

You're better to ignore that it exists in matters like this.

Also, without a citation from someone authoritative (Mister of Transportation, Canadian supreme court judge, ...) my definition is equally valid as that random persons article.

Have you thought of a career of politics?

Tory promises police task force will plan for action
Board chair vows Thursday that a new group tasked with shaking up law enforcement and finding savings in the budget won’t be the “same old suspects.”
“I think you will be surprised — (task force members) won’t be the same old suspects. I’m looking for a broad group. This is a tight time frame,” Pringle told the Star after the meeting. The names will be released in the new year.
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...s-police-task-force-will-plan-for-action.html

the following sounds like a really bad idea though...
scrapping the rule that says there must be two officers in a car after dark.

i think they should always have an accountabilibuddy.

Last edited:
Tory should replace the cops with security or civilians to handle parking tickets, illegal left turns, parking infractions, speed traps, construction supervision, etc.. May save a few dollars (Canadian). If not arresting anyone, tickets handled out by non-cops should be fine. (Or is that "fined".)

And all with this so called cop shortage (according to police)
it feels like as the years go on, we need to pay more and more attention to incident / injury numbers, not just the shootings and stabbings that result in death. there seem to be two things going on... the shooters seem to have bad aim, and medical intervention is more successful.

the following numbers are up to last monday...
shooting 2015-12-14.PNG

(there will be quite a few more numbers once this past week is added.)

so, this year so far, there have been 380 victims of gun violence, with 151 of those injured or killed. if someone just points out that there have been 26 shooting murders so far this year, it doesn't give anywhere close to the true picture of how often guns are fired in this city.

i'm also kinda disturbed by the 'unknown' stat. there have been 69 shooting incidents this year where we don't know if someone was injured or not. that's rather unsettling.

Attachments

• shooting 2015-12-14.PNG
    shooting 2015-12-14.PNG
    19.9 KB · Views: 346
Tory's transit plan not smart
The mayor needs to rethink his strategy for easing gridlock and congestion
Despite best intentions, Tory’s plans to combat congestion have come apart at the seams.

He needs to step back and rethink his campaign promises.

His signature transit idea, SmartTrack, is at odds with Metrolinx’s plans.

He refuses to apply cost-benefit analysis to costly transit decisions like the Scarborough subway.

He ignores proven congestion-cutting programs from other leading jurisdictions.
[...]
The proposed 0.5% annual tax hike will only raise $70 million a year by 2021, the cost of half a kilometre of new subway line.

Financing Toronto’s multi-billion dollar share of future rapid transit expansion requires a much more extensive plan.

First, Tory should revisit the Scarborough subway decision and apply a value-for-money assessment to determine the best way forward.

The province has offered to pay the $1.8 billion to replace the aging RT with a modern LRT link.

This would save Toronto ratepayers nearly $1 billion, money that could be reallocated to other transit priorities.
[...]
SmartTrack was to be built in seven years for $8 billion.

The plan is proving to be anything but smart.

The key question is: How does SmartTrack differ from Go Transit’s plans to run the same service, on the same electrified lines, connecting the west end through Union Station to Markham?

The answer came last month when Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig told the city, “An independent and parallel service would be unaffordable and unworkable.”

Metrolinx sees SmartTrack as simply an “incremental increase” to its Regional Express Rail (RER) service. There’s no need to spend $8 billion on a parallel service.
http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/19/torys-transit-plan-not-smart

it feels like as the years go on, we need to pay more and more attention to incident / injury numbers, not just the shootings and stabbings that result in death. there seem to be two things going on... the shooters seem to have bad aim, and medical intervention is more successful.

the following numbers are up to last monday...
View attachment 62295
(there will be quite a few more numbers once this past week is added.)

so, this year so far, there have been 380 victims of gun violence, with 151 of those injured or killed. if someone just points out that there have been 26 shooting murders so far this year, it doesn't give anywhere close to the true picture of how often guns are fired in this city.

i'm also kinda disturbed by the 'unknown' stat. there have been 69 shooting incidents this year where we don't know if someone was injured or not. that's rather unsettling.

If you look at the stat's back to 2005 (as in the wiki page I linked above), you can see that the number of "shootings" is comparable to 2008/2009/2010 - there's no trend line up or down. (The high number of shootings without injury is an oddball statistic, but I don't know how to read that as a good or bad thing).

The decline in gun murders is probably mostly due to better first responder intervention. In that sense its still a real public policy win. Also, holding the line on number of shootings even as the city population continues to grow is a win of sorts.

Overall, its still very much a good news story in Toronto, despite what the Sun would have you believe....

ummm... now that i'm paying attention and noticing issues, i really hope some official body is watching the numbers the police are reporting.

as of the 14th, they said there were 242 shooting occurrences with 380 victims.

then on the 15th, this happened...

http://www.cp24.com/news/man-killed-in-shooting-in-city-s-west-end-was-targeted-police-1.2701631

and on the 18th, this happened...

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/12/18/woman-shot-accidentally-as-pal-showed-off-pistol-toronto-police

so, as of the 21st, it should say there's been at least 244 occurrences with 382 victims. so why does it only say 243 & 381?

shooting 2015-12-21.JPG

Attachments

• shooting 2015-12-21.JPG
    shooting 2015-12-21.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 448

Back