News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 460     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

How is Tory comparable to Ford? Well, I think this would make a good starting case.

http://torontoist.com/2015/06/john-tory-goes-full-ford-in-his-gardiner-expressway-speech/

Tell me that wasn't typical Rob Ford? Either one has to believe that Tory was out and out lying and trying to deceive or too stupid to understand what he was talking about. Either way, that is something Rob Ford would have done. (and did)

Is anyone surprised that Tory is acting much like Ford? Last time around it was Ford's unscrupulous, campaign manager who was playing tricks on Tory. So what does Tory do? He hires that same unethical guy to run his own campaign. What does that tell us about John Tory? It tells me that he thinks winning is more important than being ethical and having integrity. Him lying only confirms what I already know about him. That's just one clear reason I think John Tory is Rob Ford in a better suit.

This is so difficult. It's hard to deny that this has been one of my observations of late, too. But I don't want to pounce on Tory for this just now, I'm still cutting him just the tiniest bit of slack because Tory has demonstrated in other areas that he is a man of good will, and there is no way that Rob Ford or his brother are people of good will. (Caveat: cutting someone slack is my nature even though in some situations such leniency has bitten me in the butt).

If I were to joke, I'd say "well he's just another politician after all, a conservative one to boot" but the situation has more depth than that. Ford was a master at self deception - believed his own b.s. Tory shows similar traits.

But Tory is absolutely more intelligent than Ford. That's not difficult, I know, but we are in territory that is suddenly scary. On the Gardiner issue, Tory is not realizing that he is not going to be a winner if he succeeds in alienating those of us who see an opportunity for improving this city; he's making a mistake for all ages and all the while he is unable to listen with fresh ears. Tory could leave behind a terrible legacy as the Fords have done.

I repeat that Tory was the only mayoral choice. I hate that, but it's a darned truth. I would love to have voted for Soknacki or Chow but it just wasn't working out … not a good thing. I worry lately.

Last edited:
Tory can put a proper sentence together. That doesn't mean he is telling the truth though.

Jamie Strashin ‏@StrashinCBC 44s44 seconds ago
This whole idea of tunneling the Gardiner is not a serious notion, but was included by Mayor to sway a few undecideds over to hybrid side

Politics at its finest.

ETA:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 20s20 seconds ago
"Oh, and I'll be supporting the hybrid" Cllr Giorgio Mammoliti wraps up his speech to council #TOpoli

Last edited:
Omb

I have a two-part question for the municipal law experts on the forum: Could the decision by City Council to go with the hybrid [sic​] option be brought in front of the OMB, and if so how?

(My question assumes that the decision is not rejected by the Province, such as for failing to meet the EA terms of reference, which seems to be a genuine possibility.)

I have a two-part question for the municipal law experts on the forum: Could the decision by City Council to go with the hybrid [sic​] option be brought in front of the OMB, and if so how?

(My question assumes that the decision is not rejected by the Province, such as for failing to meet the EA terms of reference, which seems to be a genuine possibility.)

The province can use legislation (and perhaps even orders in council?) to override any municipal decision - there's no constitutional division of responsibility like at the federal/provincial level. However, that's a nuclear option and in general a province won't override a democratically elected municipal government acting within their sphere of responsibility.

The first hurdle that the Hybriders have to overcome is reopening the EA and running their plan against its objectives.

"The first step in the EA process is to prepare a Terms of Reference (ToR), which has been submitted to the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) for their review and approval decision as required under the Ontario EA Act. If approved by the MOECC, the ToR will be used as the planning document for the completion of the Environmental Assessment study." You cannot change the objectives unless you get the OK from the Minister

If the Hybrid Plan is then accepted as meeting the EA objectives, the EA has to be approved by Council, posted for comments and sent to the Minister (Glen Murray).

He has previously been a strong WT supporter and its in his riding. He can reject the EA, send it back or approve it. Rejection is normally because the plan suggested for final approval does not meet the objectives.

If the revised EA is approved the OMB can certainly get involved if it means changes to Official Plan etc

While all this is going on there may be private lawsuits from landowners/developers, more of it may fall down and I may be too old to care!

Last edited:
The first hurdle that the Hybriders have to overcome is reopening the EA and running their plan against its objectives.

"The first step in the EA process is to prepare a Terms of Reference (ToR), which has been submitted to the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change (MOECC) for their review and approval decision as required under the Ontario EA Act. If approved by the MOECC, the ToR will be used as the planning document for the completion of the Environmental Assessment study." You cannot change the objectives unless you get the OK from the Minister

If the Hybrid Plan is then accepted as meeting the EA objectives, the EA has to be approved by Council, posted for comments and sent to the Minister (Glen Murray).

He has previously been a strong WT supporter and its in his riding. He can reject the EA, send it back or approve it. Rejection is normally because the plan suggested for final approval does not meet the objectives.

If the revised EA is approved the OMB can certainly get involved if it means changes to Official Plan etc

While all this is going on there may be private lawsuits from landowners/developers, more of it may fall down and I may be too old to care!

Yes, I understand the EA process. The answer to my question, about the OMB's jurisdiction, is in your penultimate sentence. Thanks!

The province can use legislation (and perhaps even orders in council?) to override any municipal decision - there's no constitutional division of responsibility like at the federal/provincial level. However, that's a nuclear option and in general a province won't override a democratically elected municipal government acting within their sphere of responsibility.

Thanks, animatronic, but my question was about the jurisdiction of the OMB.

Yes, I understand the EA process. The answer to my question, about the OMB's jurisdiction, is in your penultimate sentence. Thanks!

DSC: Just to double-check. I take it that you are saying that (1) an appeal to the OMB could be launched if the implementation of the hybrid [sic] option would require one or more steps that fall within the OMB's jurisdiction (such as in your example - if implementing the hybrid option would necessitate an amendment to the official plan then the OMB could be involved because it has jurisdiction regarding changes to an official plan) but (2) Council's decision to go with the hybrid option, in itself, is not something that could be appealed to the OMB. In other words, any appeal to the OMB would not be about that decision in itself but, rather, would depend upon the implementation of that decision requiring something to be done that would fall into the OMB's bailiwick. Have I got it right?

DSC: Just to double-check. I take it that you are saying that (1) an appeal to the OMB could be launched if the implementation of the hybrid [sic] option would require one or more steps that fall within the OMB's jurisdiction (such as in your example - if implementing the hybrid option would necessitate an amendment to the official plan then the OMB could be involved because it has jurisdiction regarding changes to an official plan) but (2) Council's decision to go with the hybrid option, in itself, is not something that could be appealed to the OMB. In other words, any appeal to the OMB would not be about that decision in itself but, rather, would depend upon the implementation of that decision requiring something to be done that would fall into the OMB's bailiwick. Have I got it right?

I am NOT a lawyer but that is my opinion. The jurisdiction of the OMB is described on their websiteas:

"The Ontario Municipal Board (OMB) is an independent adjudicative tribunal that conducts hearings and makes decisions on matters that have been appealed to the OMB under specific provincial legislation. While the OMB has a mandate under a large number of statutes, the majority of appeals arise under the Planning Act for planning instruments, such as official plans, zoning by-laws, subdivision plans, consents and minor variances. The other major areas of appeals/applications are claims for compensation filed under the Expropriations Act, appeals related to development charges, ward boundaries and aggregate resources."

Natalie Johnson ‏@NatalieCTV 26s26 seconds ago
Councillor Michael Thompson, a member of John Tory's executive, announces he will vote against the Mayor to tear down the eastern Gardiner.

Wow, my councillor backed removal!

Surprised Thompson went removal and De Bearemaeker went hybrid.

De Bearemaeker, Thompson, Perruzza and Campbell could have drastically altered the result.

Back