News   Jul 15, 2024
 461     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 568     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Or had to compromise his stance in order to lobby votes for the Gardiner. ;)

That's the first thing that crossed my mind, too. Especially with the timing. Maybe it's a last minute gesture to sway councillors like Thompson.

Tory will delivering a Gardiner speech tomorrow at the Empire Club of Canada, sponsored by CAA.

Christ, he's making a speech to Toronto's business elite, at an event sponsored by CAA, where he will saying this as per the Sun's copy of his speech:

“I am not the mayor for the downtown developers or for one political faction or another or the mayor for cars or bikes or trucks. I’m the mayor of one Toronto — the mayor who must take the broad interest of all Torontonians, all parts of the city, all aspects of a challenge into account and then try to do what I think is right.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/07/tory-to-aggressively--pitch-gardiner-fix#pq=xX3Ial

Christ, he's making a speech to Toronto's business elite, at an event sponsored by CAA, where he will saying this as per the Sun's copy of his speech:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/06/07/tory-to-aggressively--pitch-gardiner-fix#pq=xX3Ial

Here's a recap of his speech via twitter. Absolutely disgusting performance from the mayor today.

"I did not get elected to cause congestion"

"Great cities have expressways." The construction of the #GardinerEast was "the Toronto was of doing things," states Tory.

"The traffic has to go somehwere," @JohnTory arguing against research showing removing expressways doesn't clog up smaller streets.

Tory blames the rail corridor, not the Gardiner, for blocking access to the east waterfront.

Now Tory asserting that the actual monetary value of "lost productivity" should be calculated into the removal cost. Says northing about the lost opportunity cost with the hybrid.

Tory says the "fiscally responsible" choice is the hybrid option.

And now a misleading photo of a congested Gardiner just west of the SkyDome or so.
Screen shot 2015-06-08 at 1.28.16 PM.png

Tory had the gall to say this after the TTC meltdown this morning. Recall that the TTC will be facing a 2% budget cut next year because "efficiencies", but has no problem throwing money at a highway instead.
Tearing down #GardinerEast is saying "your time isn't important to us. Too bad."

Mayor Tory "knows" removing the #GardinerEast will make trafic worse. Brushes aside expert analysis, because he "knows".

Another lie. Hybrid plan Tory campaigned on is different from the one currently on the table.
"This is what people voted for the that is why I will be voting for it in this coming week."

Another detail the Tory willfully mislead his audience about.
Oliver Moore: Tory says removal will add 10 min each way to people's commute. No known estimate says 10 mins for people commuting into downtown. That's the U of T estimate for people going right across the core on the Gardiner. The most dire U of T estimates for people coming into downtown is 2.5 - 4 minute delays.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-06-08 at 1.28.16 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-06-08 at 1.28.16 PM.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 340
It still surprises me that Tory does this and "I'm running in 2018" Rob Ford doesn't pounce on it. Not a peep from Doug either.

Has he ever offered any comment on carding? If he did, I imagine it was something useless like "I support the police."

"I support the front line <insert name of career>", or "First Responders" are usually the call for support of non-bureaucracy workers.

Last edited:
It still surprises me that Tory does this and "I'm running in 2018" Rob Ford doesn't pounce on it. Not a peep from Doug either.

They don't have any "strategists" to tell them to get mad and make noise about this, except for Rob saying he'll make the trek to City Hall to single-handedly save the Gardiner.

So Nick Kouvalis, who's in Pakistan for some reason, is RT-ing and faving stuff about Tory and his hybrid proposal, and then he takes a swipe at Jen Keesmaat for posting something about a ravine strategy, of all things:

https://twitter.com/NickKouvalis/status/607969844416417792
Nick Kouvalis ‏@NickKouvalis ·1h1 hour ago Islamabad, Pakistan
@jen_keesmaat You just can't help yourself, can you? I'm on the other side of the planet - & it's still not far enough away from your ego

They don't have any "strategists" to tell them to get mad and make noise about this, except for Rob saying he'll make the trek to City Hall to single-handedly save the Gardiner.

What's Rob going to do? Lie down in front of the bulldozers? Not that I wouldn't put that past him.

Back