News   Jul 16, 2024
 81     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 830     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 962     1 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

Yeah, I am a 32 year old white guy and oppose carding.

Chief Saunders needs to start opposing it as well.

I'm a 36 year old white guy and I was actually carded a few years ago. At least I guess that's what happened. I was walking from work to Ryerson for some night course when three cops pull me aside on Yonge St. They claimed someone wearing a black leather jacket (I had one on) had committed some unspecified crime. They didn't ask about any crime though. One starts frisking me up and down like three times, full crotch grab and all, while the other runs through some form taking all of my personal info. It was during rush hour and lots of people stopped to watch what was happening, probably thinking I was some criminal. Finally they said I was free to leave. I can imagine if someone was humiliated like that frequently it would fill them with rage.

Yeah, that sounds like carding.

Also:

CityNews Toronto ‏@CityNews 4m4 minutes ago
#BREAKING: #Toronto police spokesperson Mark Pugash says carding is on hold until fundamental changes made #TOpoli

Where have we heard of this before, from link:

Tory seeks to cut ‘inefficiency marbled throughout government’ – good luck with that

For Rob Ford, being mayor was about stopping the flow of gravy. For John Tory, it’s apparently about cutting out the fatty beef.

At least I think that’s what the mayor was implying in his 2016 budget guidance letter, released yesterday as part of the agenda for the next meeting of city hall’s budget committee.

In it, Tory calls for all city departments to reduce their budgets by two per cent, suggesting that they do so by working to “eliminate the inefficiency marbled throughout government.â€

Yeah, marbled. Like fat in a steak, I guess. I don’t know — I’m not much of a foodie. It would be nice if Toronto mayors would stop explaining their fiscal priorities with culinary analogies.

Anyway, Tory’s budget guidance letter is further indication that Tory is going to stand tough with his demand that all city departments cut their budgets by two per cent next year. He also calls once again for a property tax increase at or below the rate of inflation and for unspecified investments in transit to reduce congestion and gridlock.

Achieving all three is going to be hard.

Let’s start with the idea of finding efficiencies. Two per cent doesn’t seem like much, sure, but remember that Toronto’s gross operating budget totalled $9.94 billion in 2015. Some rough math tells us that cutting that figure down by two per cent would mean finding about $198 million in permanent savings.

That’s significant. Last year, the city had to go to never-before-seen lengths to balance the books after a provincial government cut left an $86-million budget hole. Yet city staff have now been asked to come up with a savings figure that will be much higher.

Sure, there was a time when finding that much would have been possible, but the city’s finances look a whole lot different now. After years of finding budget efficiencies under mayor David Miller, a partially-achieved 10 per cent departmental budget cut under Ford in 2012 and assorted other savings, former city manager Joe Pennachetti declared that there weren’t many more efficiencies to be found at city hall.

I guess Tory plans to test that assertion.

Also likely to prove tricky is holding property taxes at or below the rate of inflation. I’m not a fan of this policy, as I’ve written before, mostly because the city is facing increased costs due to population growth and a repair backlog for infrastructure and housing. Inflationary property tax increases won’t address those problems.

But even ignoring that, there’s another problem: the big looming budget hole.

The city’s budget projections for 2016 forecast a $415 million budget gap that will need to be balanced through savings, fee/fare increases or taxes. Even after working in Tory’s efficiency target, an inflationary residential property tax increase of about two per cent — raising roughly $50 million — isn’t going to be enough to cover the difference.

Which brings us to Tory’s other major priority: investing in transit service. This doesn’t square with the rest of his goals. It’s hard to cut budgets and revenues while also increasing service. It’s a bit like me saying I plan to quit my job and sacrifice most of my income, but also buy myself a kick-ass yacht.

But none of this is to say Tory’s budget goals as laid out in his guidance letter are impossible. As we saw this year with the city’s weird strategy to loan money to itself, there are always strategies staff can use to help politicians keep their promises.

The city could raid its reserve funds. Or increase the amount of staff gapping. Or adjust service standards. Or make up some of the budget hole through TTC fare increases. Or jack up user fees some more. Or find yet another way to kick problems like TTC accessibility and TCHC repairs down the road another year or two.

Or cut services.

But for me, none of those are preferable to responsible budgeting. Perhaps Mayor Tory should try that.

Tory is going to stand tough with his demand that all city departments cut their budgets by two per cent next year. He also calls once again for a property tax increase at or below the rate of inflation and for unspecified investments in transit to reduce congestion and gridlock.

Achieving all three is going to be hard.

John Tory's fiscal delusions are so deep in fantasy land that he deserves to fail miserably on all three. For all his talk about fiscal responsibility, this mayor is on track to spend more money and rack up more debt than any mayor in the history of Toronto.

John Tory's fiscal delusions are so deep in fantasy land that he deserves to fail miserably on all three. For all his talk about fiscal responsibility, this mayor is on track to spend more money and rack up more debt than any mayor in the history of Toronto.

If he keeps this up, Tory is going to hit a brick wall and the entire house of cards is going to come crashing: The Gardiner, SmartTrack and the Scarborough subway. None of that is going to get accomplished without some magical fantasy budget and Tory simply does not have a case to find that money without huge property tax increases or a save from the Feds or the Province — none of which appear in the mood to give him that kind of money.

It's coming across as a bride shopping for their ideal wedding racking up tens of thousands of dollars on the perfect everything for their big day. When the time comes to pay, the bride realizes that they don't have that kind of money and the whole wedding is called off. That's what's going to happen to those three projects. I predict that the Scarborough subway and the Gardiner hybrid option get pushed farther ahead into the future and debated yet again by future City Councils while Smarttrack gets built as the RER that the province was already going to build before Tory's team put a marketing spin on it.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tory, this has been a bad week for him! He needs to stop being so stubborn about the Gardiner.

The result:

John Tory is so worried about winning the next election, that he won't even consider all the benefits that might come with tearing down the Gardine. He's an old fashioned politician with old fashioned ideas and no leadership qualities whatsoever. He leads by opinion polls and is governed by fear of defeat. He's Rob Ford in a better suit.

John Tory is so worried about winning the next election, that he won't even consider all the benefits that might come with tearing down the Gardine. He's an old fashioned politician with old fashioned ideas and no leadership qualities whatsoever. He leads by opinion polls and is governed by fear of defeat. He's Rob Ford in a better suit.

Not that I disagree with your claims about the man, but how does that make him at all comparable to Rob Ford? In fact I find that comparison quite insulting, Rob Ford and his brand of politics were decidedly anti-urban and city-despising and we are lucky to escape his mayoralty with only limited damage. Tory though you may disagree with him (I sure do!) does not prescribe to either of those ideals, and more importantly, is not a Fordite.

If he keeps this up, Tory is going to hit a brick wall and the entire house of cards is going to come crashing: The Gardiner, SmartTrack and the Scarborough subway...

Add carding to the mix and this has been a rough week for Tory. The honeymoon is officially over.

Indeed. I was talking about items that depend on significant amounts of money. Tory can't get those done if the funding doesn't come through.

I'm not convinced that he'll be able to find $10 Billion dollars to fund all of them because many of the very same councillors who supported him on those votes aren't going to vote for significant tax increases to pay for them. We'll be stuck in limbo with decisions made on what to build but nobody voting to increase taxes to pay for it.

I know I'm beating the same drum as everyone here, but I have to agree. First, as a (white) person I am appalled by carding; it brings me shame every time I think of it. I was so glad to see so many civic leaders come together to condemn it.

And Tory's fiscal policies. What a sham. Just the extra cost for the Scarborough subway is enough to warrant a decent tax increase - and paying for transit that we already have should warrant more. Then the Gardiner. It's enough to just drive me mad. There is no way to pay for conservative wants (more expensive roads and subways to every low density suburb) - much less my wants (more investment in core programs, parks, public realm, transit, the library system). Not to say anything of Smart Track.

But I do agree that Tory is looking to the next election. He needs those suburban talking points to stick - even though they make no sense, and he knows it (per his Civic Action agenda). I suppose the Gardiner is justified in his mind as a GTA link, as is Smart Track. But still, re-election is undulating beneath the surface of almost all his comments.

Where have we heard of this before, from link:

For Rob Ford, being mayor was about stopping the flow of gravy. For John Tory, it’s apparently about cutting out the fatty beef.

bad analogy if you ask me.

steak-marbling.png

liposarcoma...
liposarc.jpg

Attachments

• steak-marbling.png
    steak-marbling.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 342
  • liposarc.jpg
    liposarc.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 283
Not that I disagree with your claims about the man, but how does that make him at all comparable to Rob Ford? In fact I find that comparison quite insulting, Rob Ford and his brand of politics were decidedly anti-urban and city-despising and we are lucky to escape his mayoralty with only limited damage. Tory though you may disagree with him (I sure do!) does not prescribe to either of those ideals, and more importantly, is not a Fordite.

Tory's support of a useless Scarborough subway and an eastern Gardiner rebuild are profoundly anti-urban, and both are right out of Ford's playbook. I agree Tory isn't a Fordite in the sense that he isn't an il-mannered bully; however, he wants to take Toronto exactly the same suburban place as Ford does.

Back