News   Jul 15, 2024
 766     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

Mayor John Tory's Toronto

I don't agree with a private company ignoring laws (especially one that is somewhat exploitative and engaging in predatory practices elsewhere), but at the same time, I will gladly acknowledge the utility of having such a disruptive presence with respect to reforming the utterly dysfunctional system.

And the cynic in me can't help but notice certain elected proponents of the status quo also happen to have a rather interesting donor-recipent relationship with taxi companies either.
AoD

Whenever the black market starts to upset the so-called "legit" market, you know it's time for an overhaul. But as usual, the wealthy doctors/lawyer types who own the expensive plates are the ones with the political influence, and I don't think they are willing to have their investments lose value. So don't bet on the unlicensed, unregulated vendors operating in a licensed, regulated market.

For the record, I think the current system is a scam intended to only benefit the wealthy taxi plate owners...not provide the city with a necessary service to the public. You should only be allowed a plate if you are the driver...period. Stop driving and you have to give the plate back. Simple. Just don't hold your breath for this to actually ever happen.

So why can't all those taxi drivers that are complaining that they barely make any money since they are not the ones that own the taxi, just join uber. That way they get to keep most of the money since Uber just keeps a small portion (which is the opposite of the way the taxis work).

I would suggest you ought to ask them. They clearly don't agree with your assessment.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m1 minute ago
Norm Kelly, Pam McConnell, Mike Layton & Gary Crawford are in Harbin, China. Trip paid for by Government of Harbin #TOpoli

In case anyone wondered why Norm is silent on Twitter

Whenever the black market starts to upset the so-called "legit" market, you know it's time for an overhaul. But as usual, the wealthy doctors/lawyer types who own the expensive plates are the ones with the political influence, and I don't think they are willing to have their investments lose value. So don't bet on the unlicensed, unregulated vendors operating in a licensed, regulated market.

For the record, I think the current system is a scam intended to only benefit the wealthy taxi plate owners...not provide the city with a necessary service to the public. You should only be allowed a plate if you are the driver...period. Stop driving and you have to give the plate back. Simple. Just don't hold your breath for this to actually ever happen.

Guilds are also supposed to illegal. :)

Not really. There were a number of articles in the Star within the last few weeks, with varying opinions on what to do with the Gardiner. Here's a counterexample: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/comm...eed-to-tear-down-the-gardiner-expressway.html

Your quote is an "op-ed" piece, short for "opposite the editorial page" which is really just an opinion piece that the paper itself doesn't necessarily endorse. The first link has no author which means that's the the "house view" of the paper's editorial staff.

Harsh words in this Globe op-ed for Tory:

The jury is no longer out on the correct decision for Toronto to make. Toronto has much to gain by removing the Gardiner Expressway. Mr. Tory has more to gain politically by supporting the project. He has a choice. He can resign himself to the dustbin of history, as yet another unimaginative leader who opted for a business-as-usual approach of promoting destructive freeways. Or he can become a member of a distinctive group of successful politicians who have built their political careers on taming the automobile by creating beautiful city spaces.

Great article. Has anyone been tallying councillors' opinions to target those with on the fence or pro-hybrid views with stuff like this?

I posted this in the Gardiner thread but it merits a repost here:

[video=youtube;DoC_2mctmHs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoC_2mctmHs#t=9h22m58s[/video]
Start at 9h22m58s or click this link

Joe Cressy hits the nail on the head on why the remove option is the only option. That is atleast one councilor on the remove side, I hope he convinces others to follow suit.

Back