289     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 914     3 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 948     0 

'Martin promises new deal for cities'

H

heckles2

What do you guys think about this Globe article?

www.theglobeandmail.com/s.../National/

Martin promises new deal for cities

By ALLISON DUNFIELD
Globe and Mail Update

Paul Martin reiterated his commitment to a new deal for cities Wednesday, a few days before taking over the helm of the Liberal party.

Although he has two days to go before taking over the leadership, politicians and interest groups are lining up to woo the future prime minister.

Everyone from the mayor-elect of Toronto to the Premier of Canada's smallest province to the right-wing think tank the Fraser Institute are clamouring for Mr. Martin's attention. He has sewn up the leadership and will be named Liberal leader at the Toronto convention Friday after voting wraps up.

Mr. Martin, who has been promising a new fiscal deal for urban areas, said Wednesday when he arrived at the convention that he believes it's important to “have a new understanding with the cities.â€

He said he wants to meet with the provinces and cities to examine the issues. Cities are where the most economic activity takes place, Mr. Martin said, adding that they are also where the majority of social problems occur.

He said he hopes to see the best possible deal with provinces and urban centres.

Toronto mayor-elect David Miller, who was elected Monday night, said Wednesday that now is a unique time in history for the federal government of Mr. Martin to address the needs of Canadian cities.

“Today, 80 per cent of Canadians live in cities. And I know Paul Martin understands this. And I know [Ontario Premier] Dalton McGuinty and other premiers understand it. I think there's a once-in-a-lifetime chance today to radically change how the cities are funded and their relationship with the federal government and the provincial government,†he said in an interview with CBC Newsworld.

“The tide is too strong to turn back, and I think that's why Mr. Martin has recognized this and spoken about an urban agenda for at least the past year.â€

Canada needs a new urban agenda and investment in things such as housing, public transit, and services for immigrants, Mr. Miller said.

Immigration, in particular, has become very important for urban centres such as Toronto, he said.

“The federal government has now said it wants an immigration settlement agreement with the province of Ontario. Well, the province of Ontario accepts more immigrants than virtually any other province, let alone any other city. We need a seat at that table. I think it's incumbent upon the mayor of Toronto to lead a charge of mayors across this country,†Mr. Miller said.

He said urban communities are governing themselves under laws developed before confederation and need tools to modernize the way they are run.

The provinces, too, are hopeful that Mr. Martin will be receptive to their needs. Mr. Martin is holding an informal meeting with the premiers at the Grey Cup game in Regina on Nov. 16.

PEI Premier Pat Binns said in an interview with Newsworld that provinces are hoping to receive commitment on the $2-billion for health care promised to them by the Liberal government. Finance Minister John Manley has committed the funds for health care next year as long as the government maintains a surplus.

“We just want it sooner rather than later, and we think the federal government can do that,†Mr. Martin said.

Along with cities and premiers, right-wing think tank the Fraser Institute released a checklist of issues that it feels Mr. Martin must address.

Most importantly, the Vancouver-based institute says Mr. Martin must act to improve Canada's economic standing in the global marketplace.

“Canada has failed to keep pace with the rest of the world,†said Fred McMahon, senior analyst at the Fraser Institute, in a statement. The policy makers suggest Mr. Martin work to reduce taxation and improve trade within Canada, as well as internationally.

I think we'll see lots of Martin and Miller together for the cameras over the next few days during the Liberal Convention in T.O. Martin and Miller at the site of the bridge maybe too.

Martin's got to get in there between Miller and Layton and stop them from mating.

I can't stand Paul Martin. He promises to be everything to everyone, and is going to disapoint far more groups than most people think. He's arrogant, his platforms are still wishy-washy and will have many favours to return to his political and financial backers.

From what I can tell, Martin will take the Liberal Party too far to the right, catering to business interests by promoting pro-Americanism, tax cuts and spending cuts.

Jack Layton just keeps looking better and better.

He promises to be everything to everyone, and is going to disapoint far more groups than most people think. He's arrogant, his platforms are still wishy-washy and will have many favours to return to his political and financial backers.

Sounds like the definition of most politicians...

I can't stand Paul Martin. He promises to be everything to everyone, and is going to disapoint far more groups than most people think. He's arrogant, his platforms are still wishy-washy and will have many favours to return to his political and financial backers.

From what I can tell, Martin will take the Liberal Party too far to the right, catering to business interests by promoting pro-Americanism, tax cuts and spending cuts.
But he's a Liberal!
Clearly, fault free- like McGuinty!
Don't you guys read the star?
Martin is the kind of billionare industrial capitalist who shares your pain.

Well, I would ask what the deal /w Martin is. But don't want to rouse too much attention.

Well, I would ask what the deal /w Martin is. But don't want to rouse too much attention.

Basically the problem(s) with him have been outlined in this thread, two of the more prominent ones being: He's promising to be everything to everyone, & he's too much of a Conservative in Liberal clothing.

Aislin.1114.gif

Nov. 18, 2003. 01:00 AM
Ottawa shifting focus
Under Martin, the federal government will switch gaze from Quebec to include rest of the country

JAMES TRAVERS

Listen carefully and hear the grinding sound of the national capital shifting on its axis. After years of staring fixedly east to Quebec, the central government is finally able — and apparently willing — to include the rest of the country in its gaze. :wtf: :tup:

It's a new perspective that sweeps across the cities where most of us now live, as well as provinces that too often slipped below Jean Chrétien's sights.

That shift, one that gains momentum today when Chrétien and Paul Martin meet to discuss transferring power, is as profound as it is welcome.
[/b]
In raw political terms, it puts much of what matters here in flux.

With shredders humming and mandarins, apparatchiks and wannabes polishing their resumés, official Ottawa is just beginning to grasp the magnitude of the coming change. From priorities to pecking order, it's a new Martin universe.

How different is it?

Well, it's so different that, next to Martin, that some of the most influential folks in the new cabinet and in the new prime minister's inner circle will be from the West, not the East.

It's so different that Toronto's shiny new left-leaning mayor, David Miller, is more important to Martin's credentials as something more than a fiscal conservative than Sheila Copps and her largely illusory rainbow coalition.

But it's not so different that yesterday's political weather isn't part of the forecast.

With a spring election marked in the calendar, Martin is rushing to shape a distinctive image for a fledgling government that still must clear its predecessor's legislative backlog and has little financial room in which to manoeuvre.

Those constraints dictate that the new leader must make science out of the art of communication.

So far, Martin's image is sharply reinforcing the change message.

His unusually cordial and productive meeting with the premiers, his trips to Halifax after the hurricane and British Columbia after the fires, his choice of U2' star Bono over Paul Anka, all signal a separation from Chrétien that is greater than that suggested by the modest difference in their ages, or their common political past.

What Martin is saying — and hoping voters will hear — is that all that remains the same is the brand name of arguably the developed world's most successful — and most chameleon-like — political party.

While bureaucrats embrace change with the enthusiasm usually reserved for leprosy, Martin is the beneficiary of unusual circumstance.

He controls a Liberal machine rebuilt from the ground up, owes political colleagues next to nothing and, most significantly, rides a wave of expectation powerful enough to force together traditional adversaries.

That means Martin faces no immediate internal threats, is free to construct a cabinet more to reward merit than to pay debts, and has a reasonable chance of replacing traditional interprovincial bickering with consensus. Of the three, the third is most important as well as most elusive.

With so much to accomplish and so little money to spend, finding common, affordable solutions to shared problems is the best hope for political success here, in the five biggest cities, and in provincial capitals.

Nowhere is that rearrangement of the political plates more significant than in Quebec, where a federalist premier now needs to demonstrate that Canada works even while maintaining a safe political distance from his Ottawa cousins.

While different in detail, the same dynamic is shaping relations between Ottawa and Toronto.

Martin needs to work well with Miller, not just to make good on his municipal funding promise in the most important city, but also to keep Jack Layton and the gently resurgent NDP at bay in vote-rich Ontario.

All of this turns on an obvious conclusion politicians have long ignored: There is only one taxpayer, one voter and one large, complex, inextricably intertwined cat's cradle of problems. To please the former, governments at all levels must begin to solve the latter.
(This is in the Star?!?!!?!? -Are Be)
Only a hopeless optimist or a fool would confidently predict a suddenly cuddly Canada.

There are simply too many regional and political differences for a future that's uniformly bright and shiny.

Still, change is the necessary precondition for progress and change is in the winter wind.

This morning, the consummate tactician will meet a promising strategist to discuss what at worst will be a transition and what at best will be the beginning of a remarkable transformation.

A country content for a decade being good now must decide if it aspires to greatness.

That was never possible as long as Ottawa was, understandably, consumed with conserving the confederation.

But now that a new federal government has the opportunity to align itself with broader national interests, to celebrate the past while accelerating into the future, it has a chance.

James Travers is a national affairs writer. His column appears Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. jtravers@thestar.ca.

Additional articles by James Travers

› Get 50% off home delivery of the Toronto Star.
FAQs| Site Map| Privacy Policy| Webmaster| Subscribe| My Subscription
Home| GTA| Business| Waymoresports| A&E| Life
Legal Notice:- Copyright 1996-2003. Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. All rights reserved. Distribution, transmission or republication of any material from www.thestar.com is strictly prohibited without the prior written permission of Toronto Star Newspapers Limited. For information please contact us using our webmaster form.

:tup:

"Martin will take the Liberal Party too far to the right, catering to business interests by promoting pro-Americanism, tax cuts and spending cuts."

Which is one of the many reasons why he has my vote. Unlike Chretien, I believe Martin will actually do something as Prime Minister, rather than sitting on the sidelines and riding the wave started by others. This will be the first time I'll be voting Liberal, and loving every moment of it.

Which is one of the many reasons why he has my vote. Unlike Chretien, I believe Martin will actually do something as Prime Minister, rather than sitting on the sidelines and riding the wave started by others.

Yep, Marin will do something as Prime Minister: take the country in a direction that most Canadians don't want to go down, like join W. in another war that Canadians and many Americans oppose, more spending cuts, more trade concessions, more corporate control of politics, and more tax cuts that benefit the most wealthy.

Martin has kept quiet on many key issues: pot decriminalization, same-sex unions, military policy. We should demand some answers.

"Yep, Marin will do something as Prime Minister: take the country in a direction that most Canadians don't want to go down"

If most Canadians don't want to follow the path he wants to take, then most Canadians will not vote for him... so if your assertion is true, he wont be PM for long.

But I have a strong feeling that most Canadians will indeed vote for him. Not only does he appeal to the Liberals, but he also appeals to the Conservatives in this country.

I've always liked Martin and will be voting for him. He's definitely got two sides to him, the tax-cutting fiscal conservative and the social progressive... it will be interesting to see his two sides competing when he gets hold of power. I'm also a bit concerned about a shift to the right, especially in terms of foreign policy. Would Martin have had the courage to stay out of Iraq? I doubt it.

Back