111     0 
News   May 08, 2024
 369     0 
News   May 07, 2024
 710     0 

MAP

J

JoeyCuppa

I give you the promo website for the Metropass Affinity Program, for the upcoming pro-transit, pro-environment, pro-Toronto-business initiative I'm working on.

This has the potential to be huge.

You mean bigger than "Better Buses Scarborough"?!

j/k - looks like a good initiative.

Very good idea... I hope it flies.

The good thing is that there is a metropass discount program going on right now in conjunction with the "Live with Culture" campaign...

www.toronto.ca/special_events/getontrack/deals.htm

Culture Deals

During the month of October, show your TTC Metropass and receive incredible discounts* at these top Toronto attractions:

* Some conditions/restrictions apply.

Art Gallery of Ontario
317 Dundas St. West - 416-979-6648

* 2 for 1 adult admission to the permanent collection
* 20% off adult admission to Catherine the Great - Arts for the Empire - Masterpieces from the State Hermitage Museum.
* Adults only.
* Does not include special exhibitions or ticketed events. Must be redeemed at AGO box office.
* Valid Oct 1 - 31, 2005

Canadian Opera Company
227 Front Street East - 416-363-6671

* 10% off any performance of the Canadian Opera Company's production of Handel�s Rodelinda
* Maximum 2 tickets per pass
* Not valid for sections 1, 2, 3, 9, 10 / 18 to 29 tickets, Arts Opera tickets or Young People�s tickets.

Casa Loma
One Austin Terrace - 416-923-1171

* 20% off regular admission

Factory Theatre
125 Bathurst St. - 416-504-9971

* Buy a ticket to a Tuesday or Wednesday performance of Banana Boys and receive a second ticket free
* Receive $5.00 off Bigger than Jesus tickets
* Order a ticket to a Tuesday or Wednesday performance of Tidline (Nov. 12 to Dec 11) in the month of October and receive a second ticket free
* 25 sets of 2-for-1 tickets available for each Tues./Wed performance

Gardiner Museum Shop
60 McCaul Street (temporary address) - 416-586-8080

* 10% off all Gardiner Museum Shop purchases
* Valid October 1 - 31, 2005

Lorraine Kimsa Theatre for Young People
165 Front St. East - 416-862-2222

* 20% discount on show tickets - valid for Main stage performances throughout the season (Oct �05 - May �06)
* Tickets reg. $15 kids / $20 adults - TTC Live with Culture discounted price: $12 kids / $15 adults
* Not valid on previously purchased tickets.

Solar Stage Children�s Theatre
4950 Yonge St., Concourse Level - 416-368-8031

* 2 for 1 tickets for Markus (Oct. 2), Doo Doo The International Clown (Oct 16), The Stylamanders (Oct 22) and It's Hallowe'en, Boo! (Oct 29 & 30)
* Purchase at box office in person

Tarragon Theatre
30 Bridgman Avenue (2 blocks east of Bathurst, 1 block north of Dupont St.) 416-531-1827

* One free admission with the purchase of a second of equal value.
* Valid Tuesday to Friday. Some performances restricted. Not valid for Sunday PWYC (pay what you can). Reserve in advance

Theatre Gargantua
# # 210, 24 Ryerson Ave. - 416-260-4660 25% off theatre tickets
# Valid weekday performances only (Wed-Fri). TicketKing : Mirvish Productions
284 King St. West, Suite 400 - 416-872-1212

* 10% off Riverdance tickets
* No valid for Saturday night performances

Toronto Historic Museums
416-338-3888

* 25% Off Regular Admission for any of the City of Toronto's Historic Museums
* Visit Colborne Lodge, Fort York, Gibson House Museum, Mackenzie House, Montgomery's Inn, Spadina Museum: Historic House & Gardens, Scarborough Historical Museum and Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum
* Maximum 2 admissions. Not valid for any special ticketed events. Not valid for groups. Please call ahead to confirm availability

Toronto Symphony Orchestra
212 King St. West, Suite 550 - 416-598-3375

* 20% off the Regular Price of admission
* Offer valid from Oct. 2 to Oct. 29 only. Restrictions apply. Please call the TSO Customer Service Centre for details. Offer available in person only. Not applicable on previously purchased tickets or in conjunction with any other offers

*All coupons are valid with an October TTC pass during the month of October.

Some conditions/restrictions apply. Please call attractions in advance for offer details.

Not valid in conjunction with other offers.

No cash value.

Subject to availability.

Thanks Wylie.

I'm planning on contacting all of the businesses involved with the "Get on Track with Culture" program.

Casa Loma, AGO, theatres... so in other words, the metropass discount is for tourists?

Make the discount benefit average Torontonians. Add these to the list:

Receive a 5% discount at all Loblaws locations in the City of Toronto

Every 5th movie is free at all Famous Players movie theatres in Toronto

Swipe your metropass at malls such as Fairview, Eaton Centre, or Yorkdale, and receive a one time $10 gift certificate.

Present your metropass and receive 100 Optimum points at Shoppers Drugmart.

Naturally keep a few of the touristy type discounts, but there should be more of a balance.

Chuck100. The live with culture places in the discount plan are not really touristy. I think it is to spark the average Toronto resident to get more in touch with our cultural offerings and not treat a night at the theatre as a tourist event, but a regular part of living in the city.

"The live with culture places in the discount plan are not really touristy. I think it is to spark the average Toronto resident to get more in touch with our cultural offerings and not treat a night at the theatre as a tourist event, but a regular part of living in the city."

the cultural events are not touristy
average toronto residents treat the cultural events as touristy

you've contradicted yourself. if torontonians see these things as touristy then they are. either the attractions are touristy or they aren't. it can't be both.

Hey guys,

The Metropass Affinity Program will be launching in the next few weeks (we're aiming for before the fare hike on April 1st). It'll add more value to your Metropass by making it a discount card at Toronto businesses.

I spoke to someone from the Globe & Mail this morning, and there should be a small blurb about it in the Globe tomorrow. I'm also writing a small piece on MAP for the next issue of Spacing (it's a transit issue).

I'm not sure what happened, but I could find no trace in either the deadtree or online versions in the Globe. Oh well.

Glad to see that things have come through.

Will there be stickers to identify the businesses involved in MAP, or a guidebook?

They'll be small signs for business doors and windows, plus I'm putting together a GoogleMap with all the businesses plotted with their addresses, phone numbers and websites. :)

All businesses will have lots of small promo cards that customers can take for themselves or friends.

I've got some cool "guerrilla" marketing ideas too. ;)

Congratulations, it's great to see that this idea is taking off. But I still think that going after larger businesses would be beneficial. I can't see many people from North York or Scarborough trekking down to Queen St. to buy exotic seeds or hemp clothing.

Unless you've already tried and they said no, why not take your idea to all stores that are on subway lines? Chapters, Sears, the Bay, Loblaws, Future Shop, LCBO, Shoppers Drugmart, Famous Players...getting those retailers on board will truly make this program soar. IKEA is a good place to start since it already has a promotion with YRT.

Im not sure if you have explored this idea and what the complexities would be, but have you approached schools at all? Im primarily thinking colleges and universities, maybe having them able to recieve discounts on campus as well. I like the idea of IKEA and maybe other retailers like Canadian Tire, Home Hardware, Rona, Home Depot. Im not sure how larger companies would approach the idea though. Regardless, you seem to have done some good work with this program. Great to see and best of luck as you continue it.

We've contacted a lot of big businesses, actually... Starbucks, Second Cup, Dominion, Mr. Sub, Subway, Cineplex Odeon are the first ones that come to mind, but they either don't get back to us or say "not right now". I have the feeling that they may "wait and see"...

I know that small enviro-businesses don't have the appeal bigger businesses have, but they're the ones who have signed on to this at the moment, purely from an altruistic motivation. If MAP helps their business, all the better.

We've contacted UofTs "Sustainability Office" (the ones that run the Bike Chain bicycle repair service) and we'll be talking to Student Associations who already offer Metropass price discounts via the VIP (Volume Incentive Program) that the TTC offers (but doesn't really promote).

I welcome all ideas and suggestions (and criticisms) either here, or at info[AT]themap.ca (the email will come to me) or even phone the Ontario Chapter of the Sierra Club (they're bankrolling all the promo material) at 416-960-9606 if you want share ideas. The more ideas, the more success this may have.

One idea that comes to mind might to contact BIA's for the various neghborhoods in the city that have them. It might be a good way to get your message out to many business's at once.

Back