News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.8K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 600     1 

Maldive's Rendering of the Future Toronto Skyline

Maldive updated our proposal and u/c rendering.

panoguide.jpg

for the non-colour blind

megapano.jpg

I'm not fond of those strips of brightly coloured lighting on the CN tower- looks kind of Vegas. I hope the real lighting will be a little more tempered and classy.

A 700 footer will really help fill up that gap between the FD and Cityplace.

That would make sense, rather then covering the entire conrete section in lights. Hopefully the first deck is lit up as well.

Actually, just found this on the Toronto Star Web site....

Yesterday we learned that on July 1, the CN Tower will get a facelift. Quietly, for months now, engineers have been installing thousands upon thousands of super-bright LED lights inside the elevator shafts and upward to the top of the tower's mast.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/219624

The CN Tower LEDs are on for the first time tonight... they look incredible in my opinion, with the entire shaft and doughnut of the structure slowly transitioning through an entire rainbow of colours, one after another... wish i'd had a camera to capture it!

Just out of curiosity, how much taller than FCP, in this rendering would, say John Hancock tower in Chicago be?

Re: LED on CN tower-

Hope this turns out well..I have found some more information regarding the project, but I am going to search for the proper place to put it first.

p5

Just out of curiosity, how much taller than FCP, in this rendering would, say John Hancock tower in Chicago be?
p5

If the John Hancock Center were in that rendering the roofline would be a little less than to the tip of the attennas on FCP. That would also be true of Chicago's Aon Center.

You know, FCP and Big John (or AON, for that matter) are not really all that different in height. But Chicago looks so much taller than Toronto. I think that this is the case for three reasons:

One, the Chicago 'big three' (Sears, AON and John Hancock) are well separated from each other, forming the central pinnacles of three distinct concentrations, with each being considerably taller than the neighbouring highrises. By comparison, FCP is surrounded by a dense collection of highrises, some of which are almost as tall as it is itself. This reduces its visual impact from a distance, compared to the Chicago tallest buildings. If the Chicago big three had been as close to each other as the MINT towers are in Toronto, their impact on the skyline would have been reduced too.

Two, the CN Tower dwarfs every highrise close enough to be compared to it, including the entire CBD. FCP verges on being a supertall, but looks short in comparison. Put John Hancock next to the CN Tower, and it would not look nearly as impressive as it does now (in my opinion).

Three, Chicago is genuinely full of talls, many more than in Toronto. However, I saw Chicago back in the 1970s, before many of the talls that fill its downtown were built, and it still looked utterly amazing. I think that to create a maximally dynamic skyline, the tallest buildings should be well spread out, with lower buildings surrounding each tall and supertall, to fully display their height. (On the other hand, MINT-style crowding of the talls and supertalls into one very dense district makes for the most impressive street-level view, as opposed to distant skyline shots.)

Bill

^^Thanks for both the visual and verbal explanations guys..much appreciated.

That is a good point about having to be compared to the CN Tower, because it really is just very tall and would make most supertalls looks, well not short, but not quite so tall..

p5

^I've always thought the same thing. It's always bugged me that Toronto has tried to maintain this 'pyramid' configuration to the skyline. Seeing that model of FCP and JHC centre does prove the point too, as Scotia Plaza is very close in height to FCP and would have a bigger impact several blocks away.

Back